Devito activated | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Devito activated

Utah is starting to get specialty taco shops. We've got an amazing al pastor place called Holy Taco, and an incredible birria place called Red Taco. Jurassic Taco does killer carne asada and successfully made the meal from a small fleet of food trucks to brick and mortar. We also have these little shops called Beto's/El Ranchito (there are other names but they're all the same branding and menu) that aren't super authentic Mexican, but have the TexMex blends like chimichangas and stuff that are really good.
That's awesome!

And I had Rao's in Lasagna tonight, cuz its one of the better bottled varieties. I usually make my own (san Marzano tonatoes), but its aight.

Nothing like a good Taco place!!!. Al pastor requires a Spit. I've tried turning a rotisserie on its side, at home, but its not like a wood fired spit, with a pineapple dripping its juices... mmm. Pibil is easy at home with Banana leafs and achiote... Don't serve any ncaa athlete if you use the proper bitter orange.

Dude 8 bucks! Come on
I knew that would be the response. I don't know your income or budget and you don't know mine. In my bracket it's not just $8 bucks. It's a few bucks more for the type of hamburger, or the kind of steak, or chicken or etc. It's what you budget for clothes versus others. It's the type of restaurants you go to and the types of vacations you can take compared to others. It all adds up. People need to live within their means and different people have different means. It's cool. I'm glad you can buy what you like. Enjoy it. I bet it's delicious.

La Capital Tacos on 4th Street in Troy. (Not affiliated with the Capital Tacos chain). A counter a kitchen a couple of tables and some igloos in the parking lot out back. Highly recommended. Adding evo, fresh basil and some oregano to jarred sauce makes a decent pizza sauce. Or as a base with sauted mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and fresh basil for a quick pan sauce.

Last edited:
You see, it's not always about whether it's worth it. Some people can justify a six figure luxury car. And absolutely they're nicer and likely have great resale. But regardless of value, they're not in everyone's (most people) budget. I'm sure it's a great sauce.

Not looking ro hijack the thread. I'll stop commenting on spaghetti sauce. Yay for TD!
It depends what matters to you. In my 50s. . I'm gonna die. Its going to be delicious. ;-)

Homemade red sauce is aight. I'll take a lemon caper chicken stock sauce(garlic, shallots) over it. Better yet, add some cream, wine, and Parmigiano regiano...

Good food doesn't have to be expensive. You can make a humble, latin, pork rice and beans that will literally silence the harshest food critic. Insanity good... (mine is a copy of a Boston award winning chef) Some of the best food on earth was once considered "peasant" food. Poor Moms love their kids, too. I'm going to say they loved them more, cuz they are the recipes that my family asks for, over and over. Red sauce is cheap, Taco's are cheap, BBQ is cheap, Thai food is cheap, etc.. Its really just if serving the best you can is a priority, and if you have the time. Thats it.

I knew that would be the response. I don't know your income or budget and you don't know mine. In my bracket it's not just $8 bucks. It's a few bucks more for the type of hamburger, or the kind of steak, or chicken or etc. It's what you budget for clothes versus others. It's the type of restaurants you go to and the types of vacations you can take compared to others. It all adds up. People need to live within their means and different people have different means. It's cool. I'm glad you can buy what you like. Enjoy it. I bet it's delicious.
You can make, like 2 or 3 jars of it for 5 bucks. I love good food, and I'm on a budget. Pork butt, chicken thigh, Briskett, etc. Cheap. You can make em crazy good.

You can make, like 2 or 3 jars of it for 5 bucks. I love good food, and I'm on a budget. Pork butt, chicken thigh, Briskett, etc. Cheap. You can make em crazy good.
Yep. I like the food I make.

Please tell me this isn’t another ‘your mom’ joke.
Season 5 What GIF by The Office

I've been cooking for over 40 years and it wasn't until recently that I learned this.

For years it was said to cook chicken to 165 degrees. A couple of years ago I was watching America's Test Kitchen and they were doing a chicken thigh recipe. They said to cook the bone-in thighs and legs to 175-180. I tried it and they do come out nicely cooked (no red), juicy, and tender. Much better than the old 165-degree advice. I65 is still best for breast meat.

Brought up with Italian food. My little Italian mom's homemade spaghetti sauce. The whole bit. Married an Italian girl and she along with me carried on the traditions. I will say this. It's hard to get consistency with canned tomatoes. The sauce will vary depending on the tomatoes and tomatoes vary because of local weather and seasonal growing conditions. Pretty much have to depend on them if you make your own sauce.

Rao makes a good sauce. I think they just got taken over by a mega company so who knows what damage they may inflict. As was mentioned above you can use the sauce on pizza ...with some oregano and maybe a little olive oil and crushed red pepper...if you're into the kick. It's pretty good. (Talking about their marinara sauce).

The Washington Post did a taste test of all the popular store brands about a year ago. Rao's was rated number 1 overwhelmingly.

Rao’s is a good sauce . One of our picks for bottled sauce. However, A place down the road from us bottles their own sauce, and for 6 bucks it’s a steal. Avicolli’s bottles their red and their vodka sauce. Both outstanding

Simple, fresh ingredients always win. Cheap to make your own.
Can of crushed tomatoes, good olive oil, sauteed garlic, salt, pepper.

Never any sugar.

Sunday sauce couple cans of puree, couple of paste, garlic, olive oil, basil, salt pepper, crushed red pepper, red wine, water bring it to a boil, then simmer on low covered don’t burn it

Lb of sausage, lb of meatballs - cook up the meat, drop it in the sauce. Drippings add flavor

Let it go for as long as you can, stir occasionally

Can of crushed tomatoes, good olive oil, sauteed garlic, salt, pepper.

Never any sugar.

Sunday sauce couple cans of puree, couple of paste, garlic, olive oil, basil, salt pepper, crushed red pepper, red wine, water bring it to a boil, then simmer on low covered don’t burn it

Lb of sausage, lb of meatballs - cook up the meat, drop it in the sauce. Drippings add flavor

Let it go for as long as you can, stir occasionally
You sir are no “medigan”! Perfect perfect post!

Italian Americans and jar sauce... it's a whole thing. Just a bunch of contempt, they start waxing melodic about "ma's gravy" or some such. They can't comprehend that a jar of Prego, box of spaghetti, and some Kraft Parmesan is about as good as a struggle meal gets for some of us. And if we happen to have some frozen meatballs or chicken fingers to throw in, my goodness, we feast as kings.
I don't know what a struggle meal is. Assume it has to do with price.

Even using DOP tomatoes, I can make sauce that costs less than $8.

I don't know what a struggle meal is. Assume it has to do with price.

Even using DOP tomatoes, I can make sauce that costs less than $8.
I’d hope so, but if all feel like doing is boiling some water $8 sauce is a good choice. I’m a light sauce guy so it stretches for me more than people who just dump it on their pasta.