Devito activated | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Devito activated

Cool little stat related to Tommy (pasted from ESPN article). And even if he turns out to be the next Devlin Hodges, that is still $2 million more in career earnings!

He is just the third undrafted rookie quarterback in the common draft era to win three of his first four career starts, according to Elias Sports Bureau. He joins Washington's Ed Rubbert (1987) and the Pittsburgh Steelers' Devlin Hodges (2019).

His pocket awareness is getting much better. He squeaked his way throw the line multiple times and pushed through the pocket to run for positive yards instead of the old method of throwing the ball into the stands. He legit is going to be in the league for a bit. May not start but definitely proven to be a very quality backup which is a great position if you ask me lol.

One of the biggest problems Tommy had at Cuse was being so risk averse. It was so frustrating to see him settle for his first read or check down when the offense needed a QB that took risks to try to win the game. The way he plays is perfect for a NFL team missing superstars. Focus on managing the game, going through the progression and don’t turn the ball over. Trust your defense to keep it close/win the field position game.

1702385312622.jpeg

Serious question. I know it’s been discussed, but now that the kid has actually played in the NFL, which is an achievement no matter what happens from this point forward, do we think this is damming on Syracuse and Dino?

We know that DeVito didn’t have a line or receivers and got killed, but he never seemed to have the ability to function in the pocket at all.

So, how much is on Dino and Tommy’s decision to attend Cuse rather than a different school from the start? It would seem a lot.

Discuss.

Serious question. I know it’s been discussed, but now that the kid has actually played in the NFL, which is an achievement no matter what happens from this point forward, do we think this is damming on Syracuse and Dino?

We know that DeVito didn’t have a line or receivers and got killed, but he never seemed to have the ability to function in the pocket at all.

So, how much is on Dino and Tommy’s decision to attend Cuse rather than a different school from the start? It would seem a lot.

Discuss.
I don't think it has anything to do with Dino and everything to do with Daboll. Pretty good track record with QB's at this point and getting most out of them. He's going to figure it out, what they are good at etc, what they aren't.

Devito has thrown the ball well with time, and had good straight line speed and could run the ball a bit. Daboll mentioned they have been working on pocket presence non stop

Discuss.
I think it’s simple.

1. Dino’s system had to change after 2019, we hired Sterling in an attempt to fix the offense and our OL was pretty abused during that time
2. Due to getting hit so much and because he didn’t trust his OL and because Dad was in his head about the OL - he had the yips and couldn’t make decisions
3. Pandemic didn’t help

Dino and Syracuse did what they could at the time but it wasn’t enough to get the most out of Tommy. Some of that is on the circumstances some of it is awful coaching and some of it is on Tommy and his family.

Enough blame to go around for sure.

Tommy has tools. Some of which we saw at an earlier stage, some of which I think have been further developed. His arm strength is as good as ever and his ability to buy time in the pocket/awareness are clearly evolving.

But I think it’s impossible to watch this and not think that for whatever reason we didn’t get him to his potential. And I too was probably unfairly critical of him at times.

I don’t know what TD’s NFL career trajectory looks like. I’m happy for him and what he’s doing now. This is going to springboard him into a role in the NFL, most likely as a solid backup but hey you never know.

He’s got much tougher games in front of him, namely two against the Eagles. I’ll be interested to see how he responds in those games.

Tommy has tools. Some of which we saw at an earlier stage, some of which I think have been further developed. His arm strength is as good as ever and his ability to buy time in the pocket/awareness are clearly evolving.

But I think it’s impossible to watch this and not think that for whatever reason we didn’t get him to his potential. And I too was probably unfairly critical of him at times.

I don’t know what TD’s NFL career trajectory looks like. I’m happy for him and what he’s doing now. This is going to springboard him into a role in the NFL, most likely as a solid backup but hey you never know.

He’s got much tougher games in front of him, namely two against the Eagles. I’ll be interested to see how he responds in those games.
yeah I mean he at least has earned a role as a back up for a number of years and probably with the Giants. If Devito finishes the season well and they bring Danny back next year and he struggles early the chirping will start.

WE WANT CUTLETS!!!

I don't think it has anything to do with Dino and everything to do with Daboll. Pretty good track record with QB's at this point and getting most out of them. He's going to figure it out, what they are good at etc, what they aren't.

Devito has thrown the ball well with time, and had good straight line speed and could run the ball a bit. Daboll mentioned they have been working on pocket presence non stop
Yea the Dinos staff was so bad thing is more of the same . He spent a full season (spring summer camps , fall season ) at Illinois and no one in the NFL thought to give him even a practice squad spot until the Giants did in desperation. It’s one of those stories, and as I said before , kudos to Tommy!!

Yea the Dinos staff was so bad thing is more of the same . He spent a full season (spring summer camps , fall season ) at Illinois and no one in the NFL thought to give him even a practice squad spot until the Giants did in desperation. It’s one of those stories, and as I said before , kudos to Tommy!!

Desperation? Other teams also offered him a contract which was more than the Giants offered. Teams mentioned were the Commanders and Pats. But he wanted to play for his hometown team.

Discuss.
We never adjusted to Tommys skill set - or the other players. Dive/dive/sideline Bomb wasnt effective. Of course some was on Tommy. Some short passes, crossing routes, tight ends, etc...would have been nice.

He would have been more effective in a different scheme. One where the play didn't break down 40% of the time, and require playground improvisation.

Desperation? Other teams also offered him a contract which was more than the Giants offered. Teams mentioned were the Commanders and Pats. But he wanted to play for his hometown team.
Your telling me the only reason Tommy got the deal wasn’t injuries, you can call it whatever you want , I call it desperation. Great job by TD making the most of it !