DI Update: Seth Oakes No Longer at Albany | Syracusefan.com

DI Update: Seth Oakes No Longer at Albany

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Seth Oakes is no longer at Albany, head coach Scott Marr confirmed Friday. Oakes is eligible for the National Lacrosse League draft, which will be held Monday.

Oakes will likely be a first-round draft pick in the draft.

Oakes played two years at Albany, leading the Great Danes in goals last season with 44 and earning Honorable Mention All-America honors last season. He won a NJCAA national championship at Onondaga Community College in 2013, scoring 22 goals in eight games.

DI Update: Seth Oakes No Longer at Albany; Austin Staats at OCC and More Transfers

2016 NLL Draft Renunciation List (updated 9/7):

Matthew Hamilton (Providence College & Victoria Jr. A)
Brayden Hill (Niagara College & Six Nations Jr. A)
Doug Jamieson (Onondaga Community College & Six Nations Jr. A)
Seth Oakes (University at Albany)
Tanner Rennich (Robert Morris University & Port Coquitlam Jr. A)
Brine Rice (Onondaga Community College & New Westminster Jr. A)

Oakes did not really have the same level of production without the Thompsons...well at least in the games against us. Wish him well at the next level.

Oakes did not really have the same level of production without the Thompsons...well at least in the games against us. Wish him well at the next level.

Your right he didn't but he was a main cog on that offense and I believe on the man up unit as well. Plus he was a guy Fields had become accustomed to playing with. For gams not against SU its a pretty big loss. Syracuse defended Oakes really well so it may actually help them against us but its a player Albany can't easily replace.

Is this going to be a thing now ... Players leaving early for the NLL?

Is this going to be a thing now ... Players leaving early for the NLL?

I doubt it, most of the players listed were Native American players who most likely couldn't get qualified academically into Div 1 schools. Its unfortunately a major issue for a lot of them based on their schooling background. Oaks is an outlier because he spent a year at OCC, sat out a year and then did two at Albany. Div 1 is still the pinnacle of the sport right now as far as Media/TV and overall exposure. I expect that to remain the same unless the NLL explodes in popularity which remains highly unlikely.

Some of the native kids get construction /electrical and plumbing degrees etc...which are usually 2 year degrees, then they go into the work force. Can't blame them since those degrees they will get jobs a lot faster then many who get there 4 year degrees (especially on the reservations). Then they play pro box... I am sure they make a good living doing this.

Last edited:
Some of the native kids get construction /electrical and plumbing degrees etc...which are usually 2 year degrees, then they go into the work force. Can't blame them since those degrees they will get jobs a lot faster then many who get there 4 year degrees (especially on the reservations). Then they play pro box... I am sure they make a good living doing this.

Once you have a skill, lacrosse or otherwise, nobody can take that away. There absolutely is a good living to be had.