Diagne | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Diagne

pearl31 said:
Trying to figure out why being skeptical of the NCAA's handling of this amounts to vendetta-conspiracy thinking... while being convinced Diagne's high-school coach and other officials from that school are (publicly, on-the-record) lying is apparently sound reasoning.

Was Blairs coach a liar?

pearl31 said:
I have no clue as I don't follow SU football. And are the situations/circumstances identical?

Not exact but very similar with both coaches saying the same things. No problems, they'll be good to go.

I think Waters was being sloppy in what he wrote. My recollection at the time was that he was eligible to play, but redshirted. After the fact the NCAA ruled that he was going to lose a year of eligibility meaning he only had 4 years to complete 4 years (rather than 5 to complete 4), unfortunately he'd already sat out one of those four years as a redshirt. They basically disallowed his redshirt year.
That's right. That's why I don't think waters was being sloppy (although I too thought that at first). Even if you look at the way Donna wrote hers she said the NCAA "permitted" him to enroll, as opposed to declared him eligible. There's a third article from that period that said the staff was aware of the issue in the fall of his freshman year. So I'd guess they knew it was an issue, the NCAA said he could enroll but that they were still examining and he couldn't play. Then they took away the shirt.

How can people not see the bias of a kids HS coach/program? Oy vey...
I know, right?! And there is clearly no reason or precedent to doubt the NCAA in ruling on academic standards or doing what's right for student athletes!

pearl31 said:
I know, right?! And there is clearly no reason or precedent to doubt the NCAA in ruling on academic standards or doing what's right for student athletes!

Can you name one player that should have been declared eligible that was declared ineligible? I can't remember a single time that a football or basketball coach, in private conversation, even hinted that player ABC got screwed in their eligibility.

Some of the facts presented in this thread to convince us naive conspiracy theorists...

High school coaches/officials always lie because they're always covering their own @sses.

Something happened with a football player so the same thing is happening with Diagne.

The NCAA did have it out for SU/Boeheim but suddenly don't anymore.

Other African players have enrolled at other schools while Diagne wasn't able to at SU.

It doesn't matter that Diagne already qualified to enroll at SU prior to whatever transpired over the summer.

What am I missing?

Oh yeah, JB and staff are clueless about vetting a kid's academics and just willy nilly throw out scholarship offers.

Some of the facts presented in this thread to convince us naive conspiracy theorists...

High school coaches/officials always lie because they're always covering their own @sses.

Something happened with a football player so the same thing is happening with Diagne.

The NCAA did have it out for SU/Boeheim but suddenly don't anymore.

Other African players have enrolled at other schools while Diagne wasn't able to at SU.

It doesn't matter that Diagne already qualified to enroll at SU prior to whatever transpired over the summer.

What am I missing?

Oh yeah, JB and staff are clueless about vetting a kid's academics and just willy nilly throw out scholarship offers.
When was Diagne "qualified to enroll"?

Can you name one player that should have been declared eligible that was declared ineligible? I can't remember a single time that a football or basketball coach, in private conversation, even hinted that player ABC got screwed in their eligibility.
Even when the NCAA dinged chino I don't recall JB disagreeing much. Not even sure we appealed.

When was Diagne "qualified to enroll"?
not sure when, but it's been my understanding he was all set - it's been alluded to around here, I believe by RF and a couple others

not sure when, but it's been my understanding he was all set - it's been alluded to around here, I believe by RF and a couple others
Yeah it's been alluded to...

pearl31 said:

Based on an article where his hosts said he'd be on campus.

pearl31 said:
Some of the facts presented in this thread to convince us naive conspiracy theorists... High school coaches/officials always lie because they're always covering their own @sses. Something happened with a football player so the same thing is happening with Diagne. The NCAA did have it out for SU/Boeheim but suddenly don't anymore. Other African players have enrolled at other schools while Diagne wasn't able to at SU. It doesn't matter that Diagne already qualified to enroll at SU prior to whatever transpired over the summer. What am I missing? Oh yeah, JB and staff are clueless about vetting a kid's academics and just willy nilly throw out scholarship offers.

Here's a fact you forgot. The NCAA isn't screwing the kid.

How old was he then, when the ncaa found the problems they found? 14
Was it a american class or overseas class?
He was around 14 years old before he came here.
Would the ncaa bully a 14 year old headed to duke or kentcuky?

Last edited:
Ultimately I blame the coaching staff & the high school. Not sure which one I blame more at this point.

Pope John has a terrific reputation, I have no idea what happened, but odds are its probably not on their end.

Does anyone know what the actual class in question is? Are we just assuming the NCAA is corrupt and bereft of competency in all matters? Or is it just when it concerns us? Maybe the kid took the Senegalese equivalent of Basketweaving 1 or "African-African Studies" and shouldn't be credited for compliance. Don't we have to assume these people are looking at something specific and actually believe they have cause? Maybe they're wrong, maybe they're idiots, but it's also just as likely they have, at the very least, the foundation for a question. In all of their controversy, i have yet to see a case where the NCAA had a vendetta against a kid. If they want to screw with the program further, they just deny our appeal after a long, protracted delay. Oh. Wait...

Has there been a single instance where a student has sued the NCAA because of faults in its findings. I'm not suggesting there hasn't been — i dunno. I'm just axing.

Yah!!! It's very likely that he was working on his NCAA eligibility when he entered grade 7:bat:

Unless you believe the NCAA is screwing the kid and has a vendetta against SU. Which the most respected posters on the board feel is untrue.

Name me another scenario?

Perhaps they are wrong this time and the NCAA is slow rolling?

Last edited:
pearl31 said:
Some of the facts presented in this thread to convince us naive conspiracy theorists... High school coaches/officials always lie because they're always covering their own @sses. Something happened with a football player so the same thing is happening with Diagne. The NCAA did have it out for SU/Boeheim but suddenly don't anymore. Other African players have enrolled at other schools while Diagne wasn't able to at SU. It doesn't matter that Diagne already qualified to enroll at SU prior to whatever transpired over the summer. What am I missing? Oh yeah, JB and staff are clueless about vetting a kid's academics and just willy nilly throw out scholarship offers.

Wow. Quite the leap in logic there. I'll stop posting in this thread because clearly I am overmatched in knowledge and wisdom.

Pope John has a terrific reputation, I have no idea what happened, but odds are its probably not on their end.
They have another JUCO just this year...

How old was he then, when the ncaa found the problems they found? 14
Was it a american class or overseas class?
He was around 14 years old before he came here.
Would the ncaa bully a 14 year old headed to duke or kentcuky?
There have been some questions about his age also. The NJ article mentioned that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom