Did Craig Forth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did Craig Forth

Yet you’re probably one of the dudes who talks about how awesome the dome is and what an experience it would be for a kid to have walking on the floor. I’m sure that would be an experience for his kid that can’t be replicated. Shitting in a bag in the woods can wait till next week.
So let him know that you are the Syracusefan.com expert on parenting and that he screwed up.

And definitely use the “Shitting in a bag in the woods” quote to describe his son’s Boy Scout experience. I’m sure he’ll appreciate that.

I cut people who don’t have kids and who don’t understand a break.

My son is an Eagle Scout. Those Boy Scout trips are planned way in advance and are a big deal as they generally involve making progress towards advancement.

no way a father backs out on that.
I missed 2003 (tickets in hand) because daughter had ice skating show.

Yet you’re probably one of the dudes who talks about how awesome the dome is and what an experience it would be for a kid to have walking on the floor. I’m sure that would be an experience for his kid that can’t be replicated. Shitting in a bag in the woods can wait till next week.
Not all kids like sports. Lots of them would rather snowmobile, fish, play music, etc, than attend a sporting event.
How about you not worry how Craig raises and prioritizes his children.

D0CA9ACA-677D-4ED6-900D-200A19CA0C1B.jpeg
Picture of the outing and of the scout leader.

And I bet you’d miss it all over again. It is what parents do.
Well, we all missed it due to the ice storm that shut everything down, but yeah. The show wasn’t important: her knowing that she was more important than basketball (and I was a rabid fan back then) was important. Parents get that.

Interesting? If you know the type of guy Craig Forth is, there’s nothing “interesting” about this.

Both can be true; personally I thought it was interesting because it absolutely fit with everything we know about Craig. That he would prioritize something focused on his kids over a celebration of achievements he was a part of absolutely fits.

And he really, really doesn’t like attention from what I’ve seen. I saw him at a grocery store in the Albany area like a decade ago and talked to him for about one minute; it was obvious once he realized I wasn’t a school parent and was a Syracuse fan he wasn’t super comfortable with the situation.

When I was a kid, my car came in last place in the Pinewood Derby. The thing was an absolute lemon.

This is starting to go so far off the rails, I don’t feel bad about going off-roading a little…

Mark Rober has a great video on making a winning pine car. Only problem is, at least 40% of the kids in any derby today use his approach, so whoever had the best quality workmanship wins. In other words, whatever dad takes over the building process completely wins.

I tried to show my son the key information so he could get a better feel for how engineering works but let him build his own car - he was proud of his middle of the pack finish (and frankly seemed happier about the whole experience than the kid whose dad won).

So let him know that you are the Syracusefan.com expert on parenting and that he screwed up.

And definitely use the “Shitting in a bag in the woods” quote to describe his son’s Boy Scout experience. I’m sure he’ll appreciate that.
I was a Boy Scout. Not a particularly good one, mind you.

But the description he gave isn't completely without grounding in some aspects of the experience.

Both can be true; personally I thought it was interesting because it absolutely fit with everything we know about Craig. That he would prioritize something focused on his kids over a celebration of achievements he was a part of absolutely fits.

And he really, really doesn’t like attention from what I’ve seen. I saw him at a grocery store in the Albany area like a decade ago and talked to him for about one minute; it was obvious once he realized I wasn’t a school parent and was a Syracuse fan he wasn’t super comfortable with the situation.
Yeah, I think it was a fair question to ask/wonder.

Wouldn’t make one a bad parent if they cleared their families schedules to be at that event.

Also fair to wonder if maybe he just doesn’t really care all that much about SU hoops 20 years later? If he doesn’t, he doesn’t - no big deal.

Craig Forth attended a game earlier in the season, can’t remember which but he sat behind the bench. Really not a big deal that he prioritized his sons event over another.

Not me. Being a good dad > nostalgia.
It’s not being a good dad by showing your son where you went to school and a prestigious honor that they’re having for the greatest team in the university’s history? It’s a big deal, not just nostalgia. I know I’d love to learn about my dad when he was in college, especially would love seeing him honored.

And I bet you’d miss it all over again. It is what parents do.
Kids are resilient. If the trip was where he wanted to be then fine. Perhaps Craig is the Scoutmaster of the troop.

When I was a kid, my car came in last place in the Pinewood Derby. The thing was an absolute lemon.
Same thing happened to me - I built mine myself, no help from any adult (unlike most of the other kids). During the pre-race testing, mine got knocked off the track and broke an axle. Was able to fix it but never had a chance after that.

It’s not being a good dad by showing your son where you went to school and a prestigious honor that they’re having for the greatest team in the university’s history? It’s a big deal, not just nostalgia. I know I’d love to learn about my dad when he was in college, especially would love seeing him honored.
It's not about me. It's about him, and his accomplishments. 2003 doesn't register for him, its ancient times. But a Boys Scout ceremony? One that he's worked hard for and is looking forward to? What, should I just tell him that Dad is celebrating something he did back in college, and his accomplishment comes second?
Ummm...no- I don't think so. It's not a hard choice, at all.

Same thing happened to me - I built mine myself, no help from any adult (unlike most of the other kids). During the pre-race testing, mine got knocked off the track and broke an axle. Was able to fix it but never had a chance after that.
Aren't the axles just like, the pin/nail things that come with the wheels?

To win, you need to drill holes in bottom and melt lead to get to max weight. Dads win the race, not the kids. My kid came in third one year with a car he built himself. Very proud.

I wonder if he even really liked playing basketball at Syracuse.
I honestly wouldn't blame him if he didn't based on how our fans treated him.

yes, but the piece of wood it went into was damaged when it hit the floor. Was able to get it back together but it had a wobble to it after that which really killed its speed. Also didn't know about the drilling a whole and putting weight in it trick either. 40+ years later and I still remember what a disapointment it was

Amazing thread that shows why I hate most of the posts on this board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom