Did the Big East hide the decline of Northeast football a little? | Syracusefan.com

Did the Big East hide the decline of Northeast football a little?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So UCONN sucks. BC and Rutgers are getting dump trucked regularly. We're struggling and just not very good. Penn State's mediocre.

I feel like this didn't just happen. This has been in the works for a while that all of these programs are so underwhelming.

So UCONN sucks. BC and Rutgers are getting dump trucked regularly. We're struggling and just not very good. Penn State's mediocre.

I feel like this didn't just happen. This has been in the works for a while that all of these programs are so underwhelming.
Your post is most germane. The rest of the Nation is consumed by football. The Northeast is consumed by hoops. We are never going to make a comeback in football. It is no coincidence that all the NE teams have collapsed. There is no other state school in the Country with an enrollment as large as SUNY that is less concerned about football. The largest school in NYC does not even have a team. Northeast football is a lost cause. Therefore, I am less concerned about our hoped for return to glory than I am about our need to build a palatial dorm to stay ahead of the basketball pack. Let's not take anything for granted. JB's leaving is going to hurt.

Your post is most germane. The rest of the Nation is consumed by football. The Northeast is consumed by hoops. We are never going to make a comeback in football. It is no coincidence that all the NE teams have collapsed. There is no other state school in the Country with an enrollment as large as SUNY that is less concerned about football. The largest school in NYC does not even have a team. Northeast football is a lost cause. Therefore, I am less concerned about our hoped for return to glory than I am about our need to build a palatial dorm to stay ahead of the basketball pack. Let's not take anything for granted. JB's leaving is going to hurt.
I don't think it's a lost cause, but I do think the best talent gets picked up by the elite programs, and the rest of the talent is spread too evenly across all of the Northeastern programs. It's difficult to break from the pack, but not impossible.

When BC left the Big East they played quite well in the ACC though struggling now. Pitt is playing well and recruiting very well also. UConn is solid but bland. Rutgers...well they are Rutgers and will always be.

The Balkanization of the Northeast has done more than anything to destroy eastern football. All the eastern teams are on the outside looking in within their respective leagues. It's like Animal House when all the minority boys are huddled off to an ante room.

I don't think the Big East hid it. I think the Big East caused it...the Big East and, to a lesser extent, Penn State.

The Big East made two terrible long term decisions: it focused on basketball first, and it didn't include PSU as a football member. If all the northeast football schools had been a member of the same conference it would have helped that conference build a football brand. While the Big East leadership was worried about whether Providence and St Johns would get a tourney invite, the rest of the football conferences were building a cohesive brand around their football that was based in large part on geography.

PSU joined the B1G, associated themselves with the midwestern schools, and quit playing their former eastern rivals in Pitt/SU. It was a good strategic move on their part to diminish other NE schools that now weren't in their conference and improved their own recruiting. The Big East responded by adding Miami and VaTech (as an associate member). So the NE teams were fragmented, playing in different conferences. There were no real NE rivalries because nobody played PSU anymore, and SU and Pitt were never good at the same time. There was no cohesive Big East football brand, there was no cohesive Big East football geography, and the one school that could have anchored that for the Big East was playing in the B1G, bringing OSU and Michigan into PA (one of only two really fertile NE recruiting grounds). Meanwhile, SU, Pitt, and BC were traveling to Miami and Blacksburg.

Having lived in MD, NC, and Ohio after graduating SU, I can see how very different conference affiliation is when your conference rivals are local. I felt like VT and Miami were sort of rivals when I was in college, but they were so damn far away. I didn't know any VT fans, or Miami fans. Contrast that with Carolina-NC State, OSU-Michigan, Oklahoma-Texas, Alabama-Auburn, etc. Kids in other places grew up being force-fed conference games with local rivals and local fanbases, and wanted to be a part of that. Kids in the NE didn't. Again, I think that would have been different if PSU had been in the Big East.

The decline of NE football often gets blamed on lack of talent being spread among too many mediocre teams. Demographic shifts with people moving south. Year round football in the southern states. Maybe that's true to an extent. It doesn't seem to hurt OSU or Michigan. There's a lot of talent in PA and NJ. If there had been any kind of vision on the part of the Big East with regard to football, I think we would be reaping the rewards today. Instead, a lot of those kids are playing in the B1G.

One problem the northeast will always have is that it is a pro sports region not a college sports region. Look at the number of pro sports teams in the region compared to the rest of the country. Those allegiances are well established. Until the Carolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans came to the southeast, the whole region had only the Atlanta Falcons as their pro football team, so their allegiances grew with their state colleges.

We also lack the worship of high school football that other regions have. With regard to the grand scheme of life, I don't think that's a bad thing. With regard to football success, it'll always be part of the challenge.

Football talent comes from places where they can play football practically year round. In the northeast, recruits miss out on 3 or 4 months of time on the football field. They can hit the weight room and exercise indoors, obviously, but that requires resources not available to everybody. Out west, down south and in a lot of the midwest, you can head outdoors and throw a football around practically any time of the year.

Northeast schools have to go out of their local area to find top recruits. That hurts. With the emergence of some smaller schools in Texas and Florida eating up talent that would have otherwise gone elsewhere, the pool of recruits is dwindling. Let me know if I'm wrong but, last I knew, the best recruits come out of Texas, Florida, Cali, and Ohio. What do you tell those kids to get them to come up north to play ball?

edit: based on this: All 50 states, ranked by their star CFB recruits , apparently Ohio isn't as big a player as I thought; Georgia is, which speaks to the point even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
One problem the northeast will always have is that it is a pro sports region not a college sports region. Look at the number of pro sports teams in the region compared to the rest of the country. Those allegiances are well established. Until the Carolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans came to the southeast, the whole region had only the Atlanta Falcons as their pro football team, so their allegiances grew with their state colleges.

We also lack the worship of high school football that other regions have. With regard to the grand scheme of life, I don't think that's a bad thing. With regard to football success, it'll always be part of the challenge.

Very true , NYC and Boston is all pro sports. Philly is split , they have the big 5 in hoops, but not a college sports town. The NE is a rough sell for college fb. I live in albany and there isn't cuse gear to be had anywhere in town. Sad.

I don't think the Big East hid it. I think the Big East caused it...the Big East and, to a lesser extent, Penn State.

The Big East made two terrible long term decisions: it focused on basketball first, and it didn't include PSU as a football member. If all the northeast football schools had been a member of the same conference it would have helped that conference build a football brand. While the Big East leadership was worried about whether Providence and St Johns would get a tourney invite, the rest of the football conferences were building a cohesive brand around their football that was based in large part on geography.

PSU joined the B1G, associated themselves with the midwestern schools, and quit playing their former eastern rivals in Pitt/SU. It was a good strategic move on their part to diminish other NE schools that now weren't in their conference and improved their own recruiting. The Big East responded by adding Miami and VaTech (as an associate member). So the NE teams were fragmented, playing in different conferences. There were no real NE rivalries because nobody played PSU anymore, and SU and Pitt were never good at the same time. There was no cohesive Big East football brand, there was no cohesive Big East football geography, and the one school that could have anchored that for the Big East was playing in the B1G, bringing OSU and Michigan into PA (one of only two really fertile NE recruiting grounds). Meanwhile, SU, Pitt, and BC were traveling to Miami and Blacksburg.

Having lived in MD, NC, and Ohio after graduating SU, I can see how very different conference affiliation is when your conference rivals are local. I felt like VT and Miami were sort of rivals when I was in college, but they were so damn far away. I didn't know any VT fans, or Miami fans. Contrast that with Carolina-NC State, OSU-Michigan, Oklahoma-Texas, Alabama-Auburn, etc. Kids in other places grew up being force-fed conference games with local rivals and local fanbases, and wanted to be a part of that. Kids in the NE didn't. Again, I think that would have been different if PSU had been in the Big East.

The decline of NE football often gets blamed on lack of talent being spread among too many mediocre teams. Demographic shifts with people moving south. Year round football in the southern states. Maybe that's true to an extent. It doesn't seem to hurt OSU or Michigan. There's a lot of talent in PA and NJ. If there had been any kind of vision on the part of the Big East with regard to football, I think we would be reaping the rewards today. Instead, a lot of those kids are playing in the B1G.

Great post. All the northeast teams have struggled to compete since the demise of Big East football. We were eating the ACC's lunch in basketball (nothing will ever compare to the Big East tournament at MSG) and in football, with WVU, Va Tech and Miami, we were serious competition. Lack of real leadership (Marinatto, really?) and vision (saying no to Penn State), and a willingness on the part of BC to undermine the league caused its demise.

Rutgers just saw Michigan burn down its village and steal its women (recruits) on Saturday. Without a northeast identity in football, it will be difficult for any northeast team to compete consistently on a national scale.

There is enough talent in NJ/PA for RU/SU/BC/UConn/Pitt/WVU. The problem is none of these teams own their areas except WVU. State schools typically bring in state pride. RU/SU/BC/UConn/Pitt don't get that home pride for FB.

The Big East football conference didn't hide the decline of NE football it was just a spot created by BE Catholic BB schools to protect their money makers in basketball. The BB schools had to incentive to help the FB schools brands. It makes there were 2 organizations within one and the BB side all the power.

The Steve Addazio Presidency: The Case Against Re-Election

After 56-10, a look at the facts and a bit of opinion, which show why a change is needed
by John Fidler Oct 9, 2016, 2:34p tweet

IMG_0356.0.0.JPG

Where was this game played?
CoachJF Archives
As Americans, we go to the polls every four years to elect a new president. We decide if want to change the course the country is on or whether the trajectory we see is one we are comfortable with. We bring differing opinions to the table and have varying criteria as to how we make that decision and ultimately cast our vote for the person we believe is best for the job.

Not coincidentally, we are in election cycle of another sort at BC, that of determining the level of support for the current football administration lead by President Steve Addazio. Now in his fourth season, enough in the political system to be held accountable to turn around a country, the football program under his leadership went from showing signs of promise to what now is the equivalent of an economic recession that shows few, if any signs of slowing.

I grant you, in 2013 Addazio inherited a mess from Frank Spaziani. The program was arguably at the lowest point it had experienced since the Ed Chlebek 1978 team, after riding a decade of consistent success under Tom O'Brien and brief two year reign of Jeff Jagodzinski. But in year four with his own staff, players and system in place, the Eagles are arguably one of the bottom feeders of all Power Five programs.

Sure there have been some successes. The unexpected turnaround of 2013 being the most notable. There was palpable excitement and a field storming following the win over NC State which sealed a bowl trip and was capped with Andre Williams march to New York as a Heisman finalist. There figured to be a drop in 2014, but the Dazzler surprised us all again in getting the Eagles to a bowl game and notching his signature win, the Red Bandana game victory over #9 USC.

Addazio, with the help of then Vice President, Don Brown, assembled one of the nation's best defenses, something the Eagles had been close to at times under former VP and then President Spaz. This seemed to bode well for the President, whose forte was rumored to be offensive prowess, which we had seen little of.

Outside of that though, the wins have been few and the frustrations have been many and continue to mount, with the groans of the few that assemble weekly to watch the Eagles either beat a significantly over matched, lower tier opponent or be drilled by quality ACC opposition, getting louder and louder.

Now I can play the role of the current Presidential candidates and rave nonsensically, with little fact to surround my argument or make the fact that the current administration MUST be replaced. So with a bit of help from PolitiFact (and the BC football media guide), I present the case as to why Steve Addazio must go and a new administration be sworn in for 2017 to move the Eagles football fortunes forward. These aren't feelings I have or words that have come from former players indicating their desires...just raw, hard numbers.

• The overall record to date - 19 wins 24 losses .442
    • Compare this to other Eagle "failures" who were not re-elected, Ed Chlebek (12-21 .364), Dan Henning (16-19-1 .458) and Frank Spaziani (22-29 .420 ..edited after the article was originally published)
  • Power Five record - 9 wins 23 losses .281
    • This President has run up more than half his wins over teams who are not his direct league competition.
  • Record vs the Top 25 - 1 win 8 losses .111
    • That USC win in 2014 is it
  • Boston College has now lost its last 13 straight Power Five games
    • This is the longest losing streak since a run from 1988-90 where the Eagle lost 14 in a row
  • Their 11 game ACC losing streak is the longest that BC has ever endured since joining a conference in 1991 (Big East)
    • The previous worst was a six game skid between 2012-13 under Frank Spaziani
    • The Eagles however are nowhere near the ACC record of 28 in a row held by Virginia
  • The 56-10 loss to Clemson marked the worst Alumni Stadium home loss ever
    • It is tied with two games for margin of defeat in all home games with 46-0 losses to Oklahoma at Braves Field in 1949 and 46-0 in 1945 to Holy Cross at Fenway Park.
    • It was the second worst home loss of all time missing by one a 47-0 drubbing inflicted by Georgetown in 1927
  • The Clemson loss marked the first time since 1995 under Dan Henning that the Eagles have given up 49 or more points in a game twice in a season.
  • It also marked the first time in program history that the Eagles have lost two games by 46 points on more in the same season
  • In previous articles we have noted the futility of the Eagle offense.
    • BC has been shut out just nine times in the past 47 seasons, however three of those nine have been in the past 16 games.
  • As of this moment, using The Book metrics, BC will be favored in two of their remaining games, both by under a touchdown and significant underdogs in the other four, at least broaching the question of whether the Eagles could wind up 3-9 or 4-8 or simply sub .500 missing a bowl again.
    • Syracuse (BC by 5.6), Louisville (UL by 28.7), NC State (NCSU by 21.4), Florida State (FSU by 35.2), Connecticut (BC by 2.2), Wake Forest (Wake by 13.1).
These bring us to the program building aspects of being a Head Coach. Here too, Addazio is making a strong case against re-election.

• Recruiting - According to 24/7 sports, under Addazio, the Eagles have finished last in the ACC three out of four years and currently have the last rated class in the ACC for 2017. We can pivot on this all we want and call the ratings subjective and rigged and at times they are, but it is hard to argue that the teams who do well in this area tend to be the teams who win conference titles and compete for national championships. It is very hard to make bricks without straw, without some devine level of intervention. The issues at QB over the past three seasons, needing to rely on two 5th year transfers as well as the complete failure at the position last year and the heir apparent in Darius Wade not being able to get on the field as a third year player, speak volumes.
    • 2013 - 87th nationally, 14th and last ACC
    • 2014 - 52nd nationally, 11th ACC
    • 2015 - 62nd nationally, 14th and last ACC
    • 2016 - 79th nationally, 14th and last ACC
    • 2017 - currently 55th nationally, 14th and last ACC
  • Attendance. In the Buffalo game, Guess The Attendance article, it was noted that BC had only drawn a crowd of under 30,000 ten times since the stadium was expanded to 44,500 from 32,000 in 1994.
    • Seven of those ten games have come under Addazio's watch since 2014.
    • The Clemson game marked the first announced sell out of this regime, but those of you who were there and can see from the picture in this article, that number was slightly inflated (the real attendance was probably around 42,000) and a good 8,000-10,000 of them were wearing orange and more than a few sitting in prime seats, indicating they picked these up from current BC season ticket holders. This is not something I can fact check, but I believe this was the largest visiting crowd I have ever seen at Alumni.
    • This definitely speaks to a level of fan apathy that has been building for years. The athletic department has done little to promote itself to locals outside of a TV or radio ad here or there and I constantly am asked by friends why they don't hear anything about the team in the media. Out of sight, out of mind and although this is not something one can directly attribute to Addazio, it is something that has only worsened under his leadership.
    • Home attendance figures per season. As noted in previous articles, the high water mark for the program occurred from 1993-95 when the Eagles sold out 15 consecutive home games at 44,500 per contest.
      • 2013 - 33,006
      • 2014 - 34,270
      • 2015 - 30,205
      • 2016 - 30,477 - through three home games.
Outside of these pretty much undisputed facts, there are the intangibles that are showing a program in decline.

• The influx of quality coaches into the league.
    • Some have been here longer than others, but the league is as strong as it has ever been right now and between on field and recruiting success, coaches like Dabo Swinney, Jimbo Fisher, Bobby Petrino, Mark Richt, Bronco Mendenhall, David Cutcliffe, Larry Fedora, Dave Clawson and Justin Fuente have or are appearing to raise the bar at their respective institutions.
      • The Dabo mantra of "Best is the standard" means the Eagles have a long way to go to reach the level of the top three in the division.
  • The design of what the Eagles are trying to do offensively.
    • While I am not necessarily in the camp that the general concept of what a Steve Addazio designed offense is trying to do can't work, it is clear that what he is doing is not working. This is a product of several factors beyond just questionable design (teams like Michigan this year and Stanford and Michigan State up until this year, have been pretty successful with it), it is about how it is coached, executed and of course the players who are executing it. Is Scot Loeffler the answer to that? Well if you watched BC-Virginia Tech and listened to the in game interview with former Hokie Head Coach Frank Beamer, you would think not. Beamer never once mentioned Loeffler's name during the interview despite him being on last year's VT staff with him while continually praising his long time D-coordinator, Bud Foster. I would count Beamer among those who felt he made a mistake hiring Loeffler.
      • Then there are the numbers, which although they showed a marginal increase from the end of the Spaz days, are now back to or exceeding the level of futility and even at their high points are not where this program can survive, even with a defense that ranked as highly as it has the past few seasons.
        • 2012 (Spaz last year) - #104 total offense, #110 offensive efficiency, #112 scoring offense
        • 2013 - #84 total offense, #48 offensive efficiency, #65 scoring offense
        • 2014 - #77 total offense, #32 offensive efficiency, #86 scoring offense
        • 2015 - #126 total offense, #123 offensive efficiency, #127 scoring offense
        • 2016 (6 games to date) - #104 total offense, #109 offensive efficiency, #123 scoring offense
We have noted ad naseum about the Dazzler's lack of in game coaching skill, particularly clock management. The 3-0 Wake Forest debacle last season being the most visible example of this. The Georgia Tech loss this year was one most of Eagle-fandom pinned on Addazio being out coached by Paul Johnson.

The head coach's seat can be a warm one, according to the Coaches Hot Seat it should be burning right now for the Dazzler who sits at #2 on the list behind USC's Clay Helton and well could be number one next week following the Clemson debacle and the Trojan's win this weekend.

The question then becomes is this an over reaction to what is happening right now? In the Eagles three losses, they have played two very good, perhaps excellent teams in Clemson and Virginia Tech. Granted, they lost a game in Ireland to Georgia Tech that they should have won and have a chance to reach the six win mark and get to a bowl game, although the odds on that are getting longer every day.

To me though this is about the long term direction of the program and whether Addazio is the coach to take this team there. When Addazio was hired, Brad Bates promised that BC would compete for championships and four years into the process, not only are the Eagles light years from that goal, but there are program failures that we are measuring in quantitative numbers of historical proportions. It appears very likely that the direction we have seen the program going in is the one most likely to continue.

In a Presidential election, it is always easiest to say you voted for the loser, when the winner's administration struggles. There is never a way to know whether the loser would have done better. The best you can do is make a calculated decision with risk based on the information you have at your disposal to cast your vote.

Steve Addazio is not Donald Trump, nor is he Hillary Clinton. He is a football lifer with a positive attitude who has represented Boston College well. He believes in his faith, his football philosophy and his players and genuinely wants to succeed at Boston College. All of those are admirable traits and ones that we as people should be proud to support, but the inertia of the program is going in the wrong direction and the real question is whether Addazio is the right coach to turn this around.

A rolling ball takes time to slow and stop. If the ball is rolling downhill as opposed to a flat surface, the ball simply picks up speed and takes even longer. Such is the momentum of most programs. Whether it be good or bad, momentum tends not to turn instantaneously, it takes time. Many times coaches are given credit or receive blame based on situations they inherited, hey it happens in Presidential races as well.

This ball is not on a flat surface, it is rolling down a fairly steep incline, we need to get it stopped as soon as possible and turn this in another direction.

I exit the polls having cast my ballot. I cannot and did not vote for Steve Addazio,

There is enough talent in NJ/PA for RU/SU/BC/UConn/Pitt/WVU. The problem is none of these teams own their areas except WVU. State schools typically bring in state pride. RU/SU/BC/UConn/Pitt don't get that home pride for FB.

The Big East football conference didn't hide the decline of NE football it was just a spot created by BE Catholic BB schools to protect their money makers in basketball. The BB schools had to incentive to help the FB schools brands. It makes there were 2 organizations within one and the BB side all the power.
Exactly. Your first paragraph is part of what I was saying with the pro vs college loyalty. AlL of the schools you mentioned have asome sort of hindrance: RU - no tradition and in Giants land, SU - private school, if you're not in terms CNY or alumni you don't care, BC - private school that is neither the sawks or celts, UConn - way too late to the game, Pitt - Penn St's little brother in the Steel country.

What also hurts is the collective lack of success along with the absence of a conference in the 70's when national exposure became a thing through TV and so many of the "factories" were able to transition there regional tradition to a national one.

Had SU been in an established league and been able to sustain the success of the 50's-60's through the 70's, I wonder what things would look like now.

I believe the BE was a far inferior league to the other P5 conferences, certainly after the departure of Miami, Va Tech, and BC.

There may have been a solid team on occasion post departure but for the most part the league was watered down with very mediocre talent. Our jump to the ACC has really exposed this.

I do t think NE football is dead by any means. The vast majority of the programs went underfunded due to lack of conference money coming in. If we are still haveing this discussion in 5 years or so I will rethink that.

This thread points to the need for at least 1 more NE team in the ACC .

I don't think the Big East had anything to do with it. Prior to the Big East, BC was a bad program outside of the Flutie years. Pitt started to decline during the 1980s. They are back to their pre Big East seasons now. Rutgers was a mess and still is a mess. So who is worse off? Penn State and SU.

Since the forming of the Big East we have seen Buffalo, Marshall, UConn, UMass join the FBS which hurts depth for the prior Northeast teams. In addition recruiting is more national so it is easier for Northeast kids to leave the area. On top of that, in the 1980s many of the Northeast independents played multiple FCS teams, which inflated the records.

this post would not have gone over well in the mid to late 90s

one thing i've been thinking about is how to look at SOS. if teams get evaluated that way, the best way to game might be to have a few really good opponents and a bunch of punching bags average out to a middle of the road SOS.

the mcnabb years were slightly above average in SOS. same with 2012. 2010 was in the 80s for SOS.

shafer years were in the 30s and 40s

the undefeated season was 58th

2001 was a great schedule - 12th. impressive year. 9th best team in the country - FREENEY! it's such a shame they got beat 59-0 that year. if they could've just lost an ordinary 50-28 beat down, we'd feel better about that year

this year is 38th in SOS. I don't know how it will end up

we don't need to be heroes with scheduling. game it so that we end up with the 50th best schedule. if we end up really good and people ding us for that, oh well.

Last edited:
To the OP:

Miami won a Championship while in the Big East. VATech was ranked annually. WVU had some stellar years. In truth, the Big East was an OK confernce. Better than the ACC for a while. Like many stated throughout this site, P's decline, GRob, Marrone as a short timer and Shafer not living up to potential hurts. Michigan when through some rough years, Texas, Alabama, etc. Everyone does.

It didn't help the BE that Syracuse, which is often recognized as the heart of the BE was down towards the end. Miami was gone, BC was gone. VATech was gone. Pitt was down. and Syracuse was down. WVU was the premier team and UConn and Rutgers filled the void of Pitt and SU being down.

I don't think the BE hid the decline, I think PSU's money grab under the less-than-saintly JoePa did more damage to eastern football than the BE on its own. Had PSU not been greedy and demanded sharing of all sports money except football, an eastern league probably would have been formed that would have been truly regional. Had the hoops schools been more realistic, the BE may still be a player. PSU set the standard as a money grab, scorned the east for the midwest and is nothing but an afterthought now. Telling a recruit they get to play UM and tOSU is great, telling the same kid you have to play Iowa, Illinois, Purdue is far less impressive. Especially when kids want their parents to see them play. Sure, Rutgers and Maryland helps that issue a little, but let's face it, Rutgers has no history in any sport, where's the chalenge?

These teams simply need good coaching. BC was a monster in the making under Tom Coughlin. BC got to like 2nd in the country with a guy named Jags who isn't coaching anymore (that was like 8 years ago).

Good coaching will fix these teams up. Right now none of these teams (maybe us) has good coaching.

These teams simply need good coaching. BC was a monster in the making under Tom Coughlin. BC got to like 2nd in the country with a guy named Jags who isn't coaching anymore (that was like 8 years ago).

Good coaching will fix these teams up. Right now none of these teams (maybe us) has good coaching.
Agree. No one said word one about BC's not holding up their end in FB when Matty Ice was playing for them. BC will take some time to recover from the disaster that was AD Gene DeFilippo. He forced out O'Brien and fired Jags just for interviewing for a pro HC job and things went downhill from there. He fired Al Skinner in bball for not having spectacular years and things went downhill from there. Now that DeFilippo has retired, BC stands a chance to recover. It's not going to happen overnight. It may not be under this AD. There is no reason that they can't return to respectability.

i agree with the last line and if i were the ad i would be asking jb to stay another couple of years

Agree. No one said word one about BC's not holding up their end in FB when Matty Ice was playing for them. BC will take some time to recover from the disaster that was AD Gene DeFilippo. He forced out O'Brien and fired Jags just for interviewing for a pro HC job and things went downhill from there. He fired Al Skinner in bball for not having spectacular years and things went downhill from there. Now that DeFilippo has retired, BC stands a chance to recover. It's not going to happen overnight. It may not be under this AD. There is no reason that they can't return to respectability.

Precisely. BC blew it not finding a way to get Jim Calhoun for 3-4 years and/or Mike Hopkins (even with a buyout for Syracuse). Instead they hired a middle of the road coach who will be gone this year.

With football, they should have hired Mark Whipple to run the operation there. Guy knows the northeast, can run an uptempo offense, etc.

BC will be fine b/c it's a fine institution that is able to ring fence the St Johns Prep/Xaverian/BC High/Brockton/Everett yearly. We used to go in there and grab a Konrad or Ferri but they usually land most of them.

I've posted this before but just look at the results of the Lambert trophy. It's hard to believe they still give it out but they do. In the last six years, three of the winners had five losses. That's pretty sad.

Cuse hasn't won it since 1992. Since the Flutie era, BC has only won it in 2004. Yukon won it once in 2010. Cincy won it in 2012 and they are not a true Eastern school. Rutgers won it for the first time in their history in 2014 and Navy won it last year. That is a true embarrassment when Navy win a Eastern football trophy. Pitt hasn't won it since 1980. You could argue, as some have, that the Big East (and the ESPN era) has killed Eastern football. This wasn't a slow decline. It was death.

Here are all your Lambert trophy winners: Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia