Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable. | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable.

I remember the ND game at Yankee Stadium and Dino played it to the end ,even having Andre kick a field go when we were hopelessly down 36-0. Brian Kelly, that douche, even had an exasperated look on his face as to say "Why?" That makes Dino not using the TOs here even more inexplicable.

Why, each situation is it's own. Do you think there is some rigid approach he has to adopt and adhere to without deviation?

Definition of meathead

Using timeouts willy nilly just because isnt helpful either. Then when an opportunity does arise, you have no chance execute.

You use your timeouts when the other team is on offense in that situation to prevent the other team from milking the clock out. You can control the clock when we are on offense by picking up first downs, 2 minute drill, incomplete pass, run out of bounds or spiking the ball.
Dino either quit or he is incompetent. Neither bodes well for us in my opinion.

I remember the ND game at Yankee Stadium and Dino played it to the end ,even having Andre kick a field go when we were hopelessly down 36-0. Brian Kelly, that douche, even had an exasperated look on his face as to say "Why?" That makes Dino not using the TOs here even more inexplicable.
Trying to avoid a shutout, which is understandable and good vs maybe trying to prevent the tired Defense give up another score and loose some confidence and make the score look more like a blow out.

Why, each situation is it's own. Do you think there is some rigid approach he has to adopt and adhere to without deviation?

Definition of meathead
I played football all my life growing up. And now my Kids play sports. I’ve never seen that. In a 30 point game it would be uncouth to call timeouts but a 2 possession game

sure the coach can have his “reasons”. Doesn’t make them valid. Also doesn’t excuse the fact that the team is a reflection of him (good and bad). You reap what you sow.

I played football all my life growing up. And now my Kids play sports. I’ve never seen that. In a 30 point game it would be uncouth to call timeouts but a 2 possession game

sure the coach can have his “reasons”. Doesn’t make them valid. Also doesn’t excuse the fact that the team is a reflection of him (good and bad). You reap what you sow.

shocking that wildhack didn’t have his office packed up by the time he got back to Syracuse. The horror

Listen they did not give up strategy of waiting for offense to get the ball back to use them failed. Can’t play Monday morning QB.

Listen they did not give up strategy of waiting for offense to get the ball back to use them failed. Can’t play Monday morning QB.
Its a fan forum - the whole concept centers on Monday morning QBing.

I really hope that wasn’t the reason. You play 12 games a year and you don’t play to the e d of 1 because you didn’t want the guys to scatter in the locker room. Good lord
The answer is almost worse than not playing to the whistle.

I don't believe for a second that he gave up. I think he had a plan that he didn't get to execute because of the way things played out.

Using timeouts willy nilly just because isnt helpful either. Then when an opportunity does arise, you have no chance execute.

Either way we lost. Move on.
Wrong. You use your time outs on defense. When you have the ball, you will hurry. We let them just run the clock down. Unacceptable.

had a whole discussion on it on the ACC network and it mostly came down to how was SU gonna score twice anyway if they used all the TOs on D, we have only scored 1 TD all yr anyway.

He was gonna use them after a 3rd down stop which never happened.

Definition of meathead
Well, there is one approach he has to adhere to. Don't quit with 4 minutes to go with your team down 2 scores. You don't quit. And how can you ever expect your team to not quit when they see their coach throw in the towel?

had a whole discussion on it on the ACC network and it mostly came down to how was SU gonna score twice anyway if they used all the TOs on D, we have only scored 1 TD all yr anyway.

He was gonna use them after a 3rd down stop which never happened.
Still bad strategy if that is what he was thinking. You have to use them right away. They will run the clock down. When you have the ball, you won't.

Last edited:
we dont have a functional offense.. Everyone bases the usage on what you expect a team to do on offense when we clearly know we have issues there .

I must have missed the part where we stopped them and it would have mattered.. its not like we didnt use them then stopped them then ran out of time.. had we used them they still ran out the clock with the same number of plays.

Just my opinion, it's not hard. You use the TO's on defense. It's statistically the most effective play. It's not uncommon knowledge.

You can debate whether or not Dino has enough confidence in his offense all week long, doesn't really matter, he didn't use the right strategy and the outward perception is quitting.

Well, there is one approach he has to adhere to. Don't quit with 4 minutes to go with your team down 2 scores. You don't quit. And how can you ever expect your team to not quit when they see their coach throw in the towel?
Exactly

we dont have a functional offense.. Everyone bases the usage on what you expect a team to do on offense when we clearly know we have issues there .

I must have missed the part where we stopped them and it would have mattered.. its not like we didnt use them then stopped them then ran out of time.. had we used them they still ran out the clock with the same number of plays.
We shouldn’t even take the field next weekend, only 1 touchdown all year.

Just my opinion, it's not hard. You use the TO's on defense. It's statistically the most effective play. It's not uncommon knowledge.

You can debate whether or not Dino has enough confidence in his offense all week long, doesn't really matter, he didn't use the right strategy and the outward perception is quitting.
Yeah.

There's not a way to feel good about this.

If he quit, well, that obviously sucks.

If he was saving the TOs for offense, that's dumb.

Unless you’re Nostradamus and can see the future, and just know that it’s a lost cause, you don’t leave the field with 3 TO’s in your back pocket in a two possession game. Sorry, that’s just epically bad, IMO.
You leave the field with your powder dry, last best effort out on the field.
“Remember the Alamo” didn’t end with:
“Meh, go ahead and take the fort, there’s only a couple of us left anyway, so why bother? Let’s just get it over with”.
Ridiculous.

Unless you’re Nostradamus and can see the future, and just know that it’s a lost cause, you don’t leave the field with 3 TO’s in your back pocket in a two possession game. Sorry, that’s just epically bad, IMO.
You leave the field with your powder dry, last best effort out on the field.
“Remember the Alamo” didn’t end with:
“Meh, go ahead and take the fort, there’s only a couple of us left anyway, so why bother? Let’s just get it over with”.
Ridiculous.

leaving the field with dry powder would be cowardice

leaving the field with dry powder would be cowardice
Tomato, tomahto- you get the picture. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George tries to figure out, is it “Off the wagon”, or “On the wagon”, when you quit drinking.

If the game was in the Dome in front of a normal crowd, most of you would have left at the 5 minute mark anyways.
I sat till the final play of the FSU game last year :( Not the best feeling

Tomato, tomahto- you get the picture. Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George tries to figure out, is it “Off the wagon”, or “On the wagon”, when you quit drinking.

Great episode but the problem w your analogy is there is no ambiguity to the dry powder expression

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom