Dino Babers thread... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers thread...

The fact they haven't announced Ash makes me optimistic that they are going to wait until Friday's game and have due diligence with the other coaches. Babers is my home run, so I am way more hopeful today than I was yesterday when it seemed like Ash would be introduced any minute.

qdawgg said:
Not sure how anyone can watch the vidoes of Baldwin and not get more excited, guy is an absolute leader. I'm guessing most people still just have blown off doing any research on him because Babs is the bigger name.

Baldwin hasn't come up much from insiders either.

Looks like Mizzou has cast a wide net. They are now interviewing the Cal coach Sykes among others.

In the south it can be more complicated than that and it's affected other potential coaching hires recently.

dino-Susan-Babers1-450x4502.jpg

Please explain, because right now TAMU and UT have black coaches, Virginia had one for 6 years and Miami even had one. I'm trying to recall the last time a school north of the Mason Dixon line had a black head coach. Plenty of diversity here in the South.

I think Maryland will go after a bigger name. I would be concerned with Mizzu but I thought they would hire within and would be announced today. I thought I read that some place.
Mizzou is rumored to be talking to Sonny Dykes who is not going to reup with Cal.

texascpa said:
Please explain, because right now TAMU and UT have black coaches, Virginia had one for 6 years and Miami even had one. I'm trying to recall the last time a school north of the Mason Dixon line had a black head coach. Plenty of diversity here in the South.

Penn State has a black coach. Turner Gill was at Buffalo. We had a black AD for 10 years.

Miami is the least southern city and university in the south.

Baldwin hasn't come up much from insiders either.

I'd be fine with Baldwin as well, but he strikes me someone who would leave as soon as a Pac 12 job opened. I think we would have a better chance to hold onto Babers. Who knows though, Babers has moved around a lot, but he's closer to the end than Baldwin. I'm surprised Baldwin has been at Eastern Washington as long as he has and nobody has gone in to swoop him up.

fwiw, i wasn't just thinking of the south when wondering if some schools are still stupid about this stuff

I'd be fine with Baldwin as well, but he strikes me someone who would leave as soon as a Pac 12 job opened. I think we would have a better chance to hold onto Babers. Who knows though, Babers has moved around a lot, but he's closer to the end than Baldwin. I'm surprised Baldwin has been at Eastern Washington as long as he has and nobody has gone in to swoop him up.
maybe babers's age helps. will a better program want to hire him in a few years? maybe him being older helps us keep him longer

Penn State has a black coach. Turner Gill was at Buffalo. We had a black AD for 10 years.

Miami is the least southern city and university in the south.

Thanks for the refresh. So, it seems that each side of this argument is wrong in it's assumptions. Oh, and PSU coach started at a Southern school.

texascpa said:
Thanks for the refresh. So, it seems that each side of this argument is wrong in it's assumptions. Oh, and PSU coach started at a Southern school.

I think there were some issues with Auburn when they interviewed Gill. There were rumors that they had an issue with the fact that he had a white wife. But other than that I think it's much ado about nothing. Those schools want to win so bad they would probably hire Stalin if he could coach a spread.

There isn't a single data point from the Syverud/Coyle leadership team that allows for any opinion on coach/staff salaries. The closest data point we have is the rumored $1.8-$2.0m to Frost. If true, keep in mind our last 3 HC hires were first time HCs too and they got $1.2m, $1.2m and $1.1m. Frost, was 50% to 67% higher. So I say what ever evidence we have is the opposite of your take.

The reports are $1.2 and $1.8 - $2.0 and we do not yet know which is true. Each camp is spinning its side of the story and the truth probably lies somewhere in between. One is probably quoting starting base and the other quoting average over the 5 years or with incentives. In any event both will not get us anywhere near the conference staff average.

Comparing our last place budget to itself is meaningless without context. When we are done, we will still be in or near last place in the conference. If you are operating at half of the conference average, moving up to 60% keeps you in the cellar.

Two of our last three hires were when we were in the Big East and Shafer was the lowest paid head coach in the ACC. Our ACC competition is raising the bar and we are still shopping in the $1.2 - $1.8 million range. And that was our first choice.

If we cannot match a lowly Iowa State for example, we will always have a staff on training wheels.

The game is passing us by in salaries just as it did in facilities last decade.

In the south it can be more complicated than that and it's affected other potential coaching hires recently.

dino-Susan-Babers1-450x4502.jpg
I think Charlie Strong also has a bi-racial marriage.

Scott Campbell, Babers, the Purdue coach and others.

I think there were some issues with Auburn when they interviewed Gill. There were rumors that they had an issue with the fact that he had a white wife. But other than that I think it's much ado about nothing. Those schools want to win so bad they would probably hire Stalin if he could coach a spread.

Agreed. on both accounts.

Difference is that a black coach in a biracial relationship would be welcomed at Syracuse no questions asked. Might even be a plus for the non-sports academic and admin side.

And yeah - if prefer that not to be a thing anywhere.

How about with this guy?
View attachment 54117
Jim Brown: Nobody leaves this room until you sign on the dotted line
Dino: Yes, sir

I wrote it in jest, but we really should get guys like Little to help recruit him. How about a recruiting video with Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Mcnabb, Art Monk, Dwight Freeney, Chandler Jones telling Babers we want you, we need you. I guarantee Eric White could put together something like this.

Difference is that a black coach in a biracial relationship would be welcomed at Syracuse no questions asked. Might even be a plus for the non-sports academic and admin side.

And yeah - if prefer that not to be a thing anywhere.
and charlie strong and his biracial marriage were welcomes at UT no questions asked. I know that for a fact.

The South isn't all full of seething racists and the North isn't full of white knights. I've lived in both places. To toss out unnuanced blanket assumptions about an entire region is ignorant.

I wrote it in jest, but we really should get guys like Little to help recruit him. How about a recruiting video with Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Mcnabb, Art Monk, Dwight Freeney, Chandler Jones telling Babers we want you, we need you. I guarantee Eric White could put together something like this.

Love this idea! I think Dino would be a home run in the Cuse!

Are we really even discussing who he's married to? It's 2015.

What I'm more concerned about is that his 2015 recruiting class ranked 9th out of 13 in the MAC, and 110 in the country according to 247. Now clearly, he's produced results with lackluster talent, and beat Maryland and Purdue on the road this season, played Memphis and Tennessee tight.

Are we concerned about these recruiting results? Would prefer Temple's Matt Rhule who has gotten nearly all his players from PA, NJ, MD, VA, FL, but I would be satisfied with Babers.

leftytg said:
and charlie strong and his biracial marriage were welcomes at UT no questions asked. I know that for a fact. The South isn't all full of seething racists and the North isn't full of white knights. I've lived in both places. To toss out unnuanced blanket assumptions about an entire region is ignorant.
In fairness charlie works in Austin. Which may as well be portland or boulder.
I went down with some white friends to an alabama game a few years ago and there is without question a pinch of racism still. Same thing in parts of CNY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom