Dino turned down coaching the final game. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dino turned down coaching the final game.

Not sure how “some older players are unhappy their coach was fired before he could coach them in their last home game” when Wildhack offered as much, yet Dino declined.

To some, Dino can do no wrong. As if he is perfect or something. It’s kind of odd.

If you want to direct a comment to me, kindly quote my post so I can make the connection. I certainly never said he was perfect, so please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not arguing with the decision to let Dino go, nor am I defending some of his decisions as a coach. IMO, it's tacky to attack a man's character and mock the Ohana after a man has been fired.

I'm telling you what people inside the program, inside the Ohana are saying. Many are unhappy. Dino was their coach and although they understand major college football is a business, they still care about this man because he cares about them. It's people outside the Ohana who are criticizing a man who they wanted fired because he's not sticking around to do a job from which he has already been fired.

Please tell me you would stick around your job after being fired so I don't think you're a hypocrite.

And, if Dino had stuck around and the team became bowl eligible by beating Wake would you have also wanted him to stick around thru a bowl game? Please tell me at what point do you move on?

I am moving on.

Last edited:
Dino didn’t “jump ship”. He got fired.

How many of you would show up to the office on Monday if your boss fired you on Sunday?

If he had coached against Wake, would you also allow him to coach the team in a bowl game if they win? Nonsense.

As far as “players being pissed” cause Dino declined the option of coaching against Wake, I’m hearing players are pissed. But not because Dino decided not to coach after being fired. Some older players are unhappy their coach was fired before he could coach them in their last home game. Older players don’t really care about 2024, 2025 or “what’s best for the program in the long run”, they care about NOW. They care about what will be their last game in the Dome and what could be the last game of their college career.

Dino was fired. He did not quit.

It is time to MOVE ON, not time to pile on.

As far as players “committed to that ship”. Some are already talking about hitting the portal.

Syracuse players are eligible to enter the portal NOW. When a head coach is fired during the season, players have a 30 day window to enter the portal. This would give every player at Syracuse a two week head start to explore their options just as Wildhack wanted to get a head start at finding the next head coach.

Moving on….
Thanks for the info. This all makes sense.

If you want to direct a comment to me, kindly quote my post so I can make the connection. I certainly never said he was perfect, so please don't put words in my mouth. I'm not arguing with the decision to let Dino go, nor am I defending some of his decisions as a coach. IMO, it's tacky to attack a man's character and mock the Ohana after a man has been fired.

I'm telling you what people inside the program, inside the Ohana are saying. Many are unhappy. Dino was their coach and although they understand major college football is a business, they still care about this man because he cares about them. It's people outside the Ohana who are criticizing a man who they wanted fired because he's not sticking around to do a job from which he has already been fired.

Please tell me you would stick around your job after being fired so I don't think you're a hypocrite.

And, if Dino had stuck around and the team became bowl eligible by beating Wake would you have also wanted him to stick around thru a bowl game? Please tell me at what point do you move on?

I am moving on.
You keep bouncing back and forth between comparing Dino’s job with that of regular people, and then when people respond in kind (Fidelity), you sharply insist they are two different things. So it’s pointless to answer that question.

If I was Dino, yes I would coach the last game. Other head coaches have done the same, Dino of all people should with all of his family rhetoric. His decision to not coach the last game is fair game.

You keep bouncing back and forth between comparing Dino’s job with that of regular people, and then when people respond in kind (Fidelity), you sharply insist they are two different things. So it’s pointless to answer that question.

If I was Dino, yes I would coach the last game. Other head coaches have done the same, Dino of all people should with all of his family rhetoric. His decision to not coach the last game is fair game.
Not a single head coach that has been fired to date this season has continued coaching. Quick lookup last year and I don’t see anyone who stayed last year either.

This is a weird Syracuse only argument because Scott Shafer and GRob did it.

I will defer to Dino on this issue.

I do not know enough about the situation to question his decision.

I for one am glad we don’t have to keep hearing about the “Ohana” anymore. Dino was fired, he’s done. To me, why would you work another minute for an employer that just fired you? He’s also got thanksgiving week free for the first time in probably 40 years and getting paid well for it. He was fired, Dino owes Syracuse nothing at that point. I’m sure kids are pissed but many of them are getting paid as well. All a business now. I’m sure Dino will circle back with all of them and say a goodbye.

100% There was a thread yesterday that touched/speculated on this, which, IMO I had no doubt to be true.

In my view, this really speaks volumes, actually for me, it simply solidifies how I've felt for a long time. Which is, without a doubt, a full tilt style over substance individual.
You, most certainly speak about things which you have no clue about. It might have a degree of truth on 1 occasion but that does not discount the 10,000 other good occasions. Even though that is not true in this case, I most certainly believe. We all have to be careful about throwing stones. I suspect this is a problem for you globally. That is just my opinion. I 1000% believe unequivocally he will address the team and that is none of your or my business.

Dino didn’t “jump ship”. He got fired.

How many of you would show up to the office on Monday if your boss fired you on Sunday?

If he had coached against Wake, would you also allow him to coach the team in a bowl game if they win? Nonsense.

As far as “players being pissed” cause Dino declined the option of coaching against Wake, I’m hearing players are pissed. But not because Dino decided not to coach after being fired. Some older players are unhappy their coach was fired before he could coach them in their last home game. Older players don’t really care about 2024, 2025 or “what’s best for the program in the long run”, they care about NOW. They care about what will be their last game in the Dome and what could be the last game of their college career.

Dino was fired. He did not quit.

It is time to MOVE ON, not time to pile on.

As far as players “committed to that ship”. Some are already talking about hitting the portal.

Syracuse players are eligible to enter the portal NOW. When a head coach is fired during the season, players have a 30 day window to enter the portal. This would give every player at Syracuse a two week head start to explore their options just as Wildhack wanted to get a head start at finding the next head coach.

Moving on….
It is unreal when talking heads who have no idea what they are talking about just open their mouths. They made their decision before a potential bowl-eligible game. That should not be criticized, Dino made the right decision. It is over. I also believe as I stated for the last 2 months this
new hire will be in away better position from a structural and a support standpoint undoubtedly. Sure, he made a lot of money here, which was actually mid tier, however from a structural, support standpoint it was truly and exponentially subpar prior to 3 years ago with recent, gradual improvements that bring us to the middle of the pack from a structural and a support standpoint that is actually consistent with our had coach salary. And we are still not there!!!! How do you like me now. People do not realize we were making a lot of bricks without straw for decades. In lieu of all of this, we better trust for the correct hire at this point. Lastly Matt Rhule most certainly was talking about us, however times have changed. Why do you think he went public?

I truly appreciate NIL initiatives, what can we do as orange fans, alumni and former players to generate interest as well as most importantly funding?

You don't equate coaching college football to being a back-office associate at Fidelity, really? I don't recall making that comparison. But you're right, college coaching is very much in the public eye. Does Fidelity have fan forums where their back-office associates can be critiqued?

Coaching little league or youth league sports is FUN. Coaching on the Power 5 level is a job, a career and a lot of work. Being fired is never fun. And having your dismissal picked over like vultures pick over roadkill can't be any fun.

The consensus was people wanted Babers fired. They got it. He has been fired. Now people want to criticize him for not coaching a game after he has been fired. What a fickle bunch.

Who said anything about "being able to coach with zero expectations"?

Honestly, any conversation regarding what was said between Wildhack and Babers should have been confidential. IMO it was inappropriate to mention any specifics of that conversation in a press conference. We wouldn't be having this conversation if Wildhack had respected Dino's privacy; personnel matters and related internal conversations should be treated as confidential. It's chicken chit to mention this in a press conference when the coach no longer has a platform to explain his side.

Any comparisons to other coaches who have continued to coach the team after being fired are irrelevant. The circumstances surrounding college football today are vastly different than they were even five years ago. Previous administrations did not have a December 4th portal date hanging over their heads.

Moving on...
I so appreciate your insight

It's no different than a coach who takes a new coaching job and doesn't stick around to coach his team in a bowl game. You get fired, you move on. You take a new job, you move on.

Lastly Matt Rhule most certainly was talking about us, however times have changed. Why do you think he went public?

I truly appreciate NIL initiatives, what can we do as orange fans, alumni and former players to generate interest as well as most importantly funding?

I hadn't seen the entire snippet of what Rhule said:

“Don’t take the wrong job, now,” Rhule said. “Don’t take a job with no resources. Don’t take a job with no support. Don’t take a job with no recruiting base. Don’t take a job — hear me now when I say this, this is deep — where the expectations outweigh the commitment.”

Rhule held his hands up like two scales. A program that wants to be a 10-win team can’t spend money in the middle of the pack of the conference.

All of his assistant coaches get that talk, Rhule said. He wants his coaching tree to grow and assistants to advance in the field.

Not holding any punches!

I for one am glad we don’t have to keep hearing about the “Ohana” anymore. Dino was fired, he’s done. To me, why would you work another minute for an employer that just fired you? He’s also got thanksgiving week free for the first time in probably 40 years and getting paid well for it. He was fired, Dino owes Syracuse nothing at that point. I’m sure kids are pissed but many of them are getting paid as well. All a business now. I’m sure Dino will circle back with all of them and say a goodbye.
They're paying him the same whether he works or not so I don't blame him

He hired the top search firm so that's a good sign.

I was struck by the way he said, "There's interest in this job."
He also said he got more calls in one day than anytime since he has been here.
Very encouraging.

I am moving on.
I get being upset with the firing. My issue is he is leaving his family when they could have played their hearts out and sent him out a winner like grob and Shaffer did. The bowl game he could have handed it off to his staff and wished them luck. He chose to walkway and that’s very telling.

Wouldn’t it be something if Davis comes out as a starter and throws for 400 yards and Allen runs for 100.
I’ve always wondered where this whole Dino nice guy thing comes from. I could see it a little I guess? But now it’s like nah go down with your ship buddy and show up for the kids who played their butts off man.

Wonder what Jim Boeheim would have done had Wildhack told him before the ACC tournament he wasn’t going to be back next season?
Just curious.

Was just going to post the same. He was fired and it’s rare that football coaches get to go thanksgiving with family. The other Ohana.

If SU really wanted him to coach the last game, they would have waited until the last game was over to fire him.

Maybe Dino did not want to be a distraction for the players on senior day and with a bowl on the line. I get that Shafer and Gerg did it but come on, how awkward is that?

Dino is a great person who represented SU well even though it did not work out on the field. His legacy for that is not tainted by this decision. He was and still is a class act.
Agree. I really think he didn’t want to be a distraction in the most important game of the year. A bowl is still a bowl and the 15 extra practices and game for those choosing to return under a different regime.

I would have preferred that Dino coach the final game for the kids but I understand it is a highly personal decision.
Moving on.

I wonder how many players agreed with the firing. I do not believe the entire team was on board with him. I'm sure many have disdain for Babers because of his lack of confidence in them, the timidness to go for it on 4th down in decent field position, the impossibly long FG attempts, the failure to use timeouts when there was time to try something. I believe some players feel their demise is because of him as well as the players.

I was surprised to see he wasn’t coaching. Until, I thought about the reality of sports now. Players sitting out bowl games. Players, not on Cuse, sitting after playing and starting for 4 games to be able to red shirt. I don’t believe I would sit out; but who knows. I’m old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom