Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU

Sometimes one has to get out of their comfort zone.

I get that he’s not a screamer. But I’m convinced that his active avoidance of working the refs harms his team.

He doesn’t have to scream. There are other ways. He refuses to do it, apparently.
Apparently you've never been on the wrong side of a strong disapproving look from Coach Babers.

It means his style is different from some of the other high strung or high energy coaches.

He's not a Brent Snortables energy type of guy or a Prime Time showmanship style either.

He's reserved and stoic.

Kids can feed off their coaches personality. Colorado is nowhere near being the level they were hyped to be, but those kids bought into it, and they are way better than they were last year.

Oklahoma found their footing under Venables and they are having a great start.

Dinos reserved nature may have the same affect on this team

I've said it in other threads.

I'm pissed off we come out flat every week and don't show up on nationally televised games. These flat and uninspired performances just reinforce the perception of the program as a joke or not serious about playing high level football.

But we have five winnable games left after FSU against peer programs.

If Dino is truly the guy to keep the train moving, at worst he should go 3-2.

I expect 4-1, with GaTech or Pitt as the L.

Going 7-5 or 8-4, with possible bowl game win to push it to 8-5 / 9-4 should be the minimum expectation everyone has with this experienced team and this schedule.
Not losing to Pitt

There are many styles of coaching. I never understood why people think good coaching is the guy that is animated, yells at ref's and fights for every call, shows all of his emotions and gets into kids faces when they make a mistake. It doesn't have anything to do with being a good coach.
I mentioned that in a comment, I think there’s a time and place for it. Don’t need someone yelling all the time, but I can’t recall off hand even one time that Dino got in someone’s face, even when they led the league in penalties. I think the leader has to show more emotion than just a smirk here and there, with arms folded

There are many styles of coaching. I never understood why people think good coaching is the guy that is animated, yells at ref's and fights for every call, shows all of his emotions and gets into kids faces when they make a mistake. It doesn't have anything to do with being a good coach.
I always thought that too until I saw 2 different times when Dabo Sweeney got in a refs face near the sideline but on the field and they ended up picking up the flag against Clemson on both plays. One of these was against us and my internal organs actually moved I was so pissed. I read something once that a baseball umpire said..."If Ted Williams took a pitch, we called it a ball...no questions asked." That came to my mind when these 2 things happened.
It's wrong and it will continue to happen.

Of course.

The one thing I really, really, really wish Dino did was work the refs. He doesn’t have to scream, but he’s gotta do *something*.
Isn’t that what he did against W.Michigan to get calls reversed?

He did everything he could short of getting a bench unsportsmanlike with the first down call last week.

He’s never going to go full IROC

Sometimes one has to get out of their comfort zone.

I get that he’s not a screamer. But I’m convinced that his active avoidance of working the refs harms his team.

He doesn’t have to scream. There are other ways. He refuses to do it, apparently.

I think this is greatly overplayed. I sit on 101 behind the SU bench. I’ve seen Dino many many times get on the refs. No he isn’t animated jumping up and down so he may not be noticed but he’s always jawing. The Clemson game I even saw him in the face of a defensive coach. He’s not just a spectator.

I think this is greatly overplayed. I sit on 101 behind the SU bench. I’ve seen Dino many many times get on the refs. No he isn’t animated jumping up and down so he may not be noticed but he’s always jawing. The Clemson game I even saw him in the face of a defensive coach. He’s not just a spectator.
I seem to remember people getting upset because he drew a flag in the Rutgers game.

Not about seeing what individuals get. It’s about knowing who is running the collective and that the Money is actually dispersed. SU needs to make sure the most money is raised across the collectives. If it’s hard to donate or you don’t know who is behind it, you won’t raise as much.
I don't have the blind faith that any of these collectives would put the money where I want it to go. There is no assurance or proof provided correct?

I think people are getting worked up over absolutely nothing re: “motivation”.

What is he supposed to do? Give hour-long, impassioned speeches every day?

Coaches set the schedule, set the expectations, and I have no doubt he gets on his team during practices.

I’m also sure he gives a “motivational” speech the night before the game. All coaches do.

There’s many things to be critical of when it comes to Dino. That’s not one one them.
Motivational speeches are crap. Everyone is fired up and ready to kill until they get punched in the mouth mentally and physically. After that it comes down to prep, execution, and toughness.

Motivational speeches are crap. Everyone is fired up and ready to kill until they get punched in the mouth mentally and physically. After that it comes down to prep, execution, and toughness.
and after that, many times the game is over.

Agreed, Each coach gives a speech before the game, yet there are blowouts every weekend. The loser blames it on everyone and everything. DO coaches review the tape of their pregame speeches and say if I only hit them with the "remember the titans" one we may have only lost by 28. It's really quite funny and I just think people get so carried away with the stuff off the field. Like you said, comes down to talent or toughness/ physicality to overcome some talent discrepancies, execution and scheme. And yeah at times 99% of losing teams run short on one or the other sometimes all 3 like Saturday vs UNC

Last edited:
Based upon your posts, I know you're interested in the NIL numbers. I suggest you get a copy of the most recent Sports Illustrated (I still get it in print). It had the most fact based NIL articles and numbers I have seen from any reliable source.

One article focused on Blake Corum and his Michigan teammates. I was shocked by what they were making annually. I had thought the sums had been exaggerated but there is some crazy money being thrown around.

Of course Michigan is a powerhouse with a powerhouse alumni base but I was still amazed. Players making more in college than their NFL rookie contracts would pay.

Also, touched on the angle that alot of players are more marketable now than they will ever be in their lives and the money is so important for those that may never play professionally.

Anyway, lots of great NIL stuff from a relatively reputable source for anyone that is interested in this new world of college athletics.
That's exactly right. That's why I'm kind of confused when it's said our collective is very good. The void is immense. Hartman was a great example of someone with a very questionable NFL career, but got paid more by ND than he would most likely make in the NFL.

That's exactly right. That's why I'm kind of confused when it's said our collective is very good. The void is immense. Hartman was a great example of someone with a very questionable NFL career, but got paid more by ND than he would most likely make in the NFL.

Why compare us to the ND’s, Ohio St’s, Georgia or any of the big factories? Of course we can’t compare to them. We don’t have the sheer numbers or businesses to match those kind of schools. Not close.

I don't have the blind faith that any of these collectives would put the money where I want it to go. There is no assurance or proof provided correct?

You don’t trust the John Lally’s of the world? This convo is going down a slippery slope and is taking on the feel that people think their donations wouldn’t go to NIL and just be kept for other reasons.

Are the successful Syracuse graduates in the sports broadcasting world allowed to donate to NIL collectives? Or is it a conflict of some sort?

You don’t trust the John Lally’s of the world? This convo is going down a slippery slope and is taking on the feel that people think their donations wouldn’t go to NIL and just be kept for other reasons.
I think a lot of it has to do with the sketchy collectives from other schools, not our folks. They give the good ones a bad reputation. There are lots of sketchy ones out there that jumped on the non profit bandwagon. That's why the school wanted one backed by a reputable organization so folks who didn't feel comfortable giving to one of the other ones, had a clear, endorsed option. Obviously the school supports Lally and other efforts but this is about smaller fan donations going to a collective. It's why the monthly subscription prices for this new one are so different.

I think people are getting worked up over absolutely nothing re: “motivation”.

What is he supposed to do? Give hour-long, impassioned speeches every day?

Coaches set the schedule, set the expectations, and I have no doubt he gets on his team during practices.

I’m also sure he gives a “motivational” speech the night before the game. All coaches do.

There’s many things to be critical of when it comes to Dino. That’s not one one them.
I think I have an interesting take. I played for a high school coaching legend in the area that used to win big with average talent at best. First, he was an absolutely outstanding coach. One of the best defensive coaches you will find at that level. His practices, especially earlier in his career were absolute hell. He would chew into us big time when we needed it and other times would do the same in a funny, I love you type of way. He also gave a great motivational speech before games that kind of got everyone locked in. He was also known for absolutely chewing the refs out, plus getting on our a$$e$ at half time if we had a bad first half. We also always seemed to beat state ranked teams that we had no business beating. It could be that we were very well coached, but I do think a good pre game speech helps lock in kids at that level and the college level. Chewing us out seemed to work even more.

Then I had a college HC and he absolutely sucked. We had talent but would lose to teams we shouldn't have and this guy had a terrible personality. He didn't know how to communicate with us and didn't do any of the stuff at the level as my HS HC who I always believed would have made a great collegiate HC did. He's retired now, but my point is I do think it has some effect based on experience.

Last edited:
I think Dino has a number of issues when it comes to coaching but his demeanor on the sidelines isn't one of them.

It
It doesn’t matter what he does if the team is losing. He could do nothing, he could scream, and people would complain

I mentioned that in a comment, I think there’s a time and place for it. Don’t need someone yelling all the time, but I can’t recall off hand even one time that Dino got in someone’s face, even when they led the league in penalties. I think the leader has to show more emotion than just a smirk here and there, with arms folded
I always felt like Boeheim went the other way where we began to take on water from refs who found him to be a complete pain in the *ss with his antics which to me were unprofessional on occasion. He was surly, whiny, petulent at various points of his career. Easy to do when you win 20 plus games.

I think we hired a guy who is stoic in the Tom Landry mold. You can win this model too. I also don't remember Pasqualoni being a raving lunatic on the sideline. He was more animated for sure but somewhere btw Dino cigar store indian and Boeheim insanity

No, we were upset about that flag because Schiano was ridiculous riding the refs, and there's absolutely no way Dino crossed a little be that Schiano hadn't without a flag.

Yeah had a good view of ole monkey face at that game, he was Danny Hurley with the refs. Dino blew his stack once and got a flag.

Its like the baseline for behavior is established right away in a game bt the coach and ref. And if the coach breaks character the flag comes out.

we have 5 win-able games left... I/we like to think so.
But the team I saw the last 2 games...? Would CUSE win one?

I just don't see the "fire in the belly"...little emotion, attitude, urgency.

Right now...we're "flat"...

Of course there is a time and place for it. Coaches will chew you out but not all of them show it during the game. I've also heard of and seen even keeled game day coaches act like maniacs in practice. Dino shows excitement during big plays and TD's. He shows disappointment after bad plays and penalties. You don't have to get into a player's face during the game to get results. You can do that during meeting rooms throughout the week.

Last edited:
Yeah had a good view of ole monkey face at that game, he was Danny Hurley with the refs. Dino blew his stack once and got a flag.

Its like the baseline for behavior is established right away in a game bt the coach and ref. And if the coach breaks character the flag comes out.
yep and the fans ripped him for it! Can't get a 15 yarder blah blah blah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom