DirecTV for SU Basketball? | Syracusefan.com

DirecTV for SU Basketball?

AQ Perry

Walk On
My dad is a SU alum '51 and one of his joys is watching SU basketball. He recently switched over to DirecTV and of course has no idea if and where he can watch SU games on this format. Can anyone provide us information as to what we need to get to watch SU basketball? (We did call DirecTV and they couldn't give us specific info, only that we should get a premium package with sports pack) Thanks for any guidance.

It depends somewhat on where he lives. If he has a local regional sports channel that carries ACC hoops then that helps. If not, then he'll likely want to get the Regional Sports Package (or whatever they call it these days) which will get him some more games (and football games).

If things are the way they were last year and he has an Internet Service Provider thats in bed with ESPN then he'll be able to view some more games via ESPN3. Some of us use an AppleTV, Roku, or other streaming device to be able to watch those games on a regular TV.

Where does he live? Buffalo area channel is 57, and every game that wasn't on either ESPN, ESPN3, YES, or MSG was on that channel last year.

My dad is a SU alum '51 and one of his joys is watching SU basketball. He recently switched over to DirecTV and of course has no idea if and where he can watch SU games on this format. Can anyone provide us information as to what we need to get to watch SU basketball? (We did call DirecTV and they couldn't give us specific info, only that we should get a premium package with sports pack) Thanks for any guidance.

Where do you live? I have the sports package and I get a lot of the games. Ironically enough I live in ACC country and more games were covered here when they were in the Big East but I think that has to do with Raycom.

I have DirecTV with a Sports pack added on that gets me SNY, MSG, NESN and many regionals. I caught several SU games on MASN (Mid - Atlantic) and MSG. The only games I didn't get on DirecTv I got on ESPN3. Even got the exhibition games last year.

I have DirecTV and it has been very good for getting SU hoops games, even since we moved to the ACC. You need to get the complete sports package because some of the games are on very obscure channels, such as Channel 55 from Riverhead. I don't think I've missed a single game in the past few years. (I live in CT, but DirecTV thinks I'm in NYC because my local channels are the NYC channels).

Last edited:
For those of us who can barely stand watching games via online streaming, DirectTV was a major disappointment last year. Once ACC play started I'd say at least half the games were available only as espn3 games. Huge step backwards compared to BE

And at least 2 of SU's league games weren't available at all.
And yes, I had all possible directTV sports channels

Where do you live? I have the sports package and I get a lot of the games. Ironically enough I live in ACC country and more games were covered here when they were in the Big East but I think that has to do with Raycom.
Between Syracuse and Utica. Looks like the Sports package is the way to go. Thanks.

Thanks to all for your help and direction, I'm sure Dad will be happy about this information.

For those of us who can barely stand watching games via online streaming, DirectTV was a major disappointment last year. Once ACC play started I'd say at least half the games were available only as espn3 games. Huge step backwards compared to BE

I was able to see most of them on one of the MSG channels...or SNY. Can't keep them straight, but I know they were on one of those NY sports channels

I was able to see most of them on one of the MSG channels...or SNY. Can't keep them straight, but I know they were on one of those NY sports channels
Well here in MN I had whichever ultimate sports pack DirectTV could muster and I had to resort to espn3 more often than not. With the BE I was able to see every game on TV between all the ESPN channels (incl fullcourt).
Until that actual ACC network appears (not holding my breath) or until streaming becomes significantly more reliable (holding my breath even less), we in non-ACC locales have to grin and take it.

There are 4 categories of broadcasts:
  1. Major network (ESPN, etc.)
  2. Regional Sports Network. If you subscribe to a major video service provider at a tier above a Basic level you'll likely have a local regional sports channel, or more than one. These may carry ACC games. If your local regional sports network does not carry ACC games then you may be able to subscribe to a package which includes out-of-market regional sports channels. In the NE, such channels include MSG, YES and MASN. The rest of the country is dominated by Fox regional channels.
  3. ACC Network games. These are carried by local affiliates in various cities across the country. If you are not served by such a station then these games should be available to you via ESPN3.
  4. ESPN3 games. Several games are only available via ESPN3.
Some games which are part of 2-4, above, may also be available via ESPN's Full Court package. In previous years Full Court games have only been shown in Standard Definition.

ESPN3 game access is determined by your Internet Service Provider not your Video Service Provider. If you have ESPN3 access, then you can see that content on a regular TV by using AppleTV, Roku, or some other online streaming devices.

AQ. Just keep an eye on this board. We often post different places to find the games a day or two in advance. And ask if you have any questions. Someone will point you to several channel options. Especially in that area. There will be lots of posters who will help you find the games. Also use www.titantv.com. Put in your zip code and chose Direct TV. You will also find the games that way.
Glad you are helping your dad to watch those games!!! My mom was class of '49. She just passed away. We often helped her find the games. She had trouble getting past the single digit channel numbers, lol. Mom it is channel 1326. What ? Just push 1 3 2 6 on the remote. Priceless.

Get FIOS instead. The pure digital signal is the best of what's available in my neighborhood. The HD looks great on my flat screen!

If its not a nationally televised game I use the WatchESPN app on the tablet and can send it to the TV using Chromecast.

AQ. Just keep an eye on this board. We often post different places to find the games a day or two in advance. And ask if you have any questions. Someone will point you to several channel options. Especially in that area. There will be lots of posters who will help you find the games. Also use www.titantv.com. Put in your zip code and chose Direct TV. You will also find the games that way.
Glad you are helping your dad to watch those games!!! My mom was class of '49. She just passed away. We often helped her find the games. She had trouble getting past the single digit channel numbers, lol. Mom it is channel 1326. What ? Just push 1 3 2 6 on the remote. Priceless.
Thanks, yah, I always get the call when he can't find the game, teaching him to use the computer and ESPN3 was a trip. Thanks again...