Disappointing/Overrated Players Since 1990 | Syracusefan.com

Disappointing/Overrated Players Since 1990

two3zone

RIP Shark58
During my non basketball season boredom I've been doing some reading and came across a Bleacher Report article from 2011 by a tool named Mike Mueller. I'm not trying to be too harsh as Mister Mueller is possibly handicapped and hence this article was published, but if he isn't, he must do a lot of drugs and often.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ost-disappointingoverrated-players-since-1990

The link is above, I don't want to spoil it but this dullard believes that Jason Hart is the most overrated player to put the orange on since 1990. OMGWTFLOL

LOL, this list is crap. I didn't read the explanations, when one dude only played one season was BPOY and a top 10 pick in the NBA draft kind of out of nowhere after transfering here how can he beon this list. LIST SUCKS everyone on this board could make a better list in 5min with no research.

some real gems in the comments...
someone tells him hes wrong on wes and he writes

I'll have to agree to disagree with you. Wes Johnson disappeared late in games and I think it does matter how the team does in the post-season. Big East Championships are great but the ultimate prize is a national championship. The 2003 team was un-ranked before the year as well. They never made it to a number one ranking. Wes's team did and a sweet 16 showing is not good enough, even without AO. Cuse had that game in hand late and let it slip away.
:bat:

some of the other comments
Cmon, how can you leave Carmelo off this list?? All that talent and he only started for one year? And everyone knows that the only reason he scored was because Forth was consistently double and triple teamed.

and

How can you say mcnabb was a disapointment when he was a walk-on for cuse basketball, not a 2 sport star.
i know.. the reason why was because all the football announcers say he was.. his spot is obviously debatable. :rolling:

Greene was definitely a bum and played zero defense but in no way was he even remotely close to 286 lbs.

It wouldn't be so bad if he named it the players I would have liked to see more from instead of making it sound intelligent.

Last edited:
With Wes I just wonder hw many BPOY we have ever had? Seriously he was suppossed to be pretty good but we've had guys that were great plars and never on BPOY or any AA teams yet Wes is over rated.

some real gems in the comments...
someone tells him hes wrong on wes and he writes

I'll have to agree to disagree with you. Wes Johnson disappeared late in games and I think it does matter how the team does in the post-season. Big East Championships are great but the ultimate prize is a national championship. The 2003 team was un-ranked before the year as well. They never made it to a number one ranking. Wes's team did and a sweet 16 showing is not good enough, even without AO. Cuse had that game in hand late and let it slip away.
:bat:

some of the other comments
Cmon, how can you leave Carmelo off this list?? All that talent and he only started for one year? And everyone knows that the only reason he scored was because Forth was consistently double and triple teamed.

and

How can you say mcnabb was a disapointment when he was a walk-on for cuse basketball, not a 2 sport star.
i know.. the reason why was because all the football announcers say he was.. his spot is obviously debatable. :rolling:

Greene was definitely a bum and played zero defense but in no way was he even remotely close to 286 lbs.

It wouldn't be so bad if he named it the players I would have liked to see more from instead of making it sound intelligent.

Terrible article but no Greene wasn't a bum. He had one of the best freshman seasons that we've seen here since Carmelo. He started to improve quite a bit the second half of the season, developed some mid-range turnaround jumpers, and was an underrated rebounder.

What is really disappointing is websites who still use slideshows. Dial up is dead. Most people can handle pages loading all at once.

Terrible article but no Greene wasn't a bum. He had one of the best freshman seasons that we've seen here since Carmelo. He started to improve quite a bit the second half of the season, developed some mid-range turnaround jumpers, and was an underrated rebounder.

Greene is underappreciated by SU fans and is one of the most talented players ever to come through the program. People think he didn't play hard but, forget he was a 6'10 freshman who had to play 38 minutes a game because he was the only player on the team able to hit a shot (Devendorf and Rautins both got hurt). Early in the year and late in the year, he did play hard. Somewhere in the middle he hit a wall, but that should be expected of a big guy forced to play too many minutes.

If he had stayed another year he would have been an all american and SU (who was very good anyway) would have been the second best team in the country behind North Carolina.

Ok, what did I just read? Wes was overrated? Ok, that guy was a dream transfer at SU and did a little bit of everything on the floor. The best part was that all of those little things he did, he was really really good at them.

Completely agree on DeShaun Williams.

The best part is that this guy missed on the people who should've been on this list: Josh Wright, Dayshawn Wright, Louie McCroskey and Mike Jones... just to name a few.

Instead he names Jason Hart, who is the SU leader in steals and 2nd in assists, Wes Johnson who was the 4th pick in the draft, Paul Harris who was a warrior on the court but never really had a true position in our O and Shump who is one of the best pure shooters to ever play at SU.

Wow.

What is really disappointing is websites who still use slideshows. Dial up is dead. Most people can handle pages loading all at once.

Could be wrong but I think they do this to get more clicks/views on the website. Thats the only reason I can think of why they do this because it seems like all websites do this a lot.

My thoughts on each as to whether they were disappointing...

9. McNabb - irrelevant, he wasn't expected to be anything more than a fun bench guy
8. Shumpert - slightly underrated, he tends to be under-appreciated, I believe he's 8th all-time in scoring.
7. Roberts - yes, very disappointing
6. Wes Johnson - HE WAS BIG EAST PLAYER OF THE YEAR
5. Donte Greene - he wasn't overrated or disappointing at all, had a very solid frosh year, it wasn't his fault Devo and Rautins got hurt and we went 6 deep in 07-08
4. Billy Edelin - disappointing that whatever his problems were manifested the way they did, but we don't get past Oklahoma St. in the 2nd round without him, because Melo was total garbage that game.
3. DeShaun Williams - good player statistically, but obviously his antics were disappointing and very poisonous to the team
2. Paul Harris - very solid career, under-appreciated by SU fans, a victim of completely unrealistic expectations
1. Jason Hart - one of the longest NBA careers of any SU player in history, he could be frustrating as hell offensively, but was probably the greatest on-the-ball defender in the history of SU basketball.

Greene is underappreciated by SU fans and is one of the most talented players ever to come through the program. People think he didn't play hard but, forget he was a 6'10 freshman who had to play 38 minutes a game because he was the only player on the team able to hit a shot (Devendorf and Rautins both got hurt). Early in the year and late in the year, he did play hard. Somewhere in the middle he hit a wall, but that should be expected of a big guy forced to play too many minutes.

If he had stayed another year he would have been an all american and SU (who was very good anyway) would have been the second best team in the country behind North Carolina.

Yep. Flynn wasn't exactly a floor general either. The AR/ED losses were huge, like you say. Greene had a great freshman season. The game came so easy to him. I was at the game @Cincinnati. Much of the team struggled. He had 25/12.