Dissecting our flaws | Syracusefan.com

Dissecting our flaws

billsin01

All American
First, we need to take a breath and realize there's a long way to go. It may be a painful slog, it may improve, but either way it's probably not worth flipping out over. Having said that, I can't imagine many here believing this team has either A) played well this season (even in some of the easy wins there's been ... issues) or B) shown much indication that better things are to come.

But, regardless, I'll recount the issues I see on this team and theoretically we may even be able to discuss them without throwing our computers against the wall and vowing never to watch basketball again.

We don't get good looks
We'll talk about JB in a bit but regardless of how you view the coaching staff's role in this, the bottom line is that this team -- as Bilas (who's great even though I'm biased b/c he usually says nice things about the cuse) pointed out -- wasn't scoring for 6 minutes b/c they failed to generate good looks ... ever, basically. Early I was bemoaning the fact that we were just jacking up 3s. Then, we decided to attack the basket and finished 8 of 28 from inside the arc and missed 8 FTs to boot. Maybe we should stick to 3s. What's more -- that's the second time this season we've managed to make a total of 8 2-point FGs in a game this season (we actually shot worse vs. USC going 8 of 29) AND miss at least 8 FTs (we missed 10 FTs vs. USC). The problem is where do we go for shots? I don't know (more on that in a minute -- see Lydon, Tyler). This is a scary, scary prospect not just in the sense that we may lose lots of games because of it, but it may be yet another year of atrociously ugly offensive basketball. That makes me depressed.

AWIII is, in the words of George Costanza, a chucker
I'm going to be careful not to hammer White b/c, well, for one the guy can shoot and, perhaps more importantly, if he didn't shoot half the time we might just take shot clock violations. But, against the three real teams Syracuse has played this year, AWIII is 12-for-39 or 30.7%. Somewhere Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche are cringing ... which is saying something. Now, to be fair, White has been valuable. He is about the only good thing that happened vs. North Florida and he is the sole reason Monmouth turned into a laugher. But with 1 assist and 30% shooting in three games vs. legit opposition, it's hard not to wonder if he is really the guy we should be running our offense through.

Our guards could be better on both ends of the floor (that's being nice)
I think Howard will be a great player here and I'm starting to get the feeling that the minutes doled out to Gillon earlier in the season may not have been the best strategy but regardless Gillon had a solid stint vs. Wisconsin but has been brutal in three of the last four. Howard was 0-for-9 and has really, really struggled to finish around the basket. And Battle, while he's shot well, has shown almost no ability to create his own shot -- something this offense desperately needs. Defensively, forget it. The guards get lost on defense so much that Chukwu is shaking his head on the bench. When teams nonchalantly pass it to the high post and then quickly pick a wide open shooter on the wing to feed ... that's a bad look. We can talk about a bunch of things vs. UConn but they missed a ton of open jumpers from the wing that made this game look closer than it might have been otherwise.

Here's a thought -- get Lydon the ball and have him shoot it.
I get it -- he's missed shots and hasn't played well. He doesn't look real comfortable in the post. Forget about the NBA for a minute: the bottom line is that Lydon is the most talented player on this team period (Battle is an athlete but spends most of his time going east/west; howard is inconsistent; white is one-dimensional, etc). Get him the ball and force him to run this offense. Get it to him in the paint. Run plays for him to take shots. Make him part of a hi/low set with whomever else you want. Bottom line is that they need him playing more aggresively in the paint -- Dude has 22 FTs attempted which is behind Coleman (half the minutes) Howard and White. He should be doubling up those dudes. They have to get him going and why that hasn't been a priority is confusing to me.

DC's a great story but ...
I love the DC story and if I had had to bet prior to the season I think I would have bet that DC never reached double-figures or 30 mins in a game this season. Instead he's more or less done both in each of the past three games. That said, he still really struggles on defense and it's hard not to think that this team is at it's best when he's more of a support player. So maybe he's still playing a big role, but 15-20 minutes instead of 30.

Can we please play Tyler Roberson?
I get it -- Roberson on the court isn't going to help the offense. The issue I have is that this is a kid that played a huge -- I mean HUGE -- role in the final four run last season. He is an athlete who hustles. He's a senior. Please get him the ball.

Thank God Lydon is the leader this team needs
Oops, not sure that's true but somebody needs to step up and breath some life into this group.

Which brings us to ... this staff has, ahem, some questions to answer
I'll get this out of the way early -- I'm a JB apologist. I love his ornery, f-you attitude and the fact that he doesn't give a s--t what people think. But, it's hard not to look at JB and wonder about what's going on this year. It drives people crazy but JB is a probabilities guy -- he sticks to the defense he thinks statistically will work the highest percentage of time (zone) by forcing opponents into the lowest percentage shots (outside shots), he sticks with guys he trusts (veterans) and has no qualms about riding his best players like rented mules. You can hate all that, but this year, he hasn't done that. He's tinkering around with the offense so much that Roberson is nowhere to be found despite being a huge reason we made the final four (that never happens). Battle didn't play at all, now he's playing a ton. Howard and Gillon were splitting time, then it looked like Gillon had a decent edge, now Gillon plays pretty sparingly. We pressed a lot, now we never press.

Point is, we're all over the place. As many have pointed out, the thrilling run last March has covered up some ugly warts in this program and as bad as the defense has been at times during that stretch, JB's freewheeling make-it-up-as-you-go offense has been a major cuprit and the recruiting (to a lesser degree, I think) hasn't been impressive either.

So where to from here?

I don't know how you fix it or what happened to this team. I still look at the individual parts and think they are dramatically better than the past two teams -- last year you had Richardson on a rollercoaster all season, G playing out of position at PG (having a great year, obviously, but not a real PG) Cooney who was solid on D but never quite figured out how to play with any sort of efficiency offensively, a limited roberson, a young Howard, and a huge surprise in Lydon, who was great but forced to play C. Two years ago, many of the same issues but inexplicably Rak went from a guy who was dreadfully bad on the offensive end to a complete stud, which saved us from a sub-.500 season.

At least this year you have a shooter in White, a couple potentially difference-making bigs in Roberson and Lydon, a couple more decent big bodies in DC and Thompson and a couple guys who should be adequate at PG in Howard and Gillon. Add in a wild card in Battle and there's stuff there to work with.

So if we assume this team has some chance at still kicking in March (not a guarantee by any stretch), what I'd guess needs to happen (and no, I don't pretend to be a coach) is this:

They need to force the ball through Lydon on most possessions -- and work the hi/low
He's looked awful thus far but they have to go to him in the post and/or find other ways for him to score. White is fine, you cannot run an offense through him. High volume shooters who do nothing else are an issue. He's not steph curry, he's mostly a standstill shooter. And whether it's roberson/thompson/DC -- they need to take advantage of the fact that they have multiple post players who can at least catch and finish and, in the case of TT/DC/Lydon actually bring a fair amount of skill to the table.

Play Robey
I get it, he's limited offensively. But they've got to get him playing and fired up. They have to, he's just too much of a factor for a team that doesn't appear to have game-changers otherwise. He obvoiusly needs to do his part too, but his riding pine makes not sense to me.

They need to figure out how handle the FT line area on defense
Teams are passing to the FT line, that guy is standing there calmly and flicking it to wide open shooters on each wing or turning and finding a wide open teammate on the baseline. I don't mean a few times, I mean basically every time the ball goes to the high post. This is ... a problem. The guards look lost defensively, DC really struggles to cover ground in the middle and TT on a wing is awful. I don't know if this will be a good defensive team at any point, but there is no excuse for executing that poorly. I'd argue that the only reason we lost to UConn by two instead of 10 is that they actually missed a bunch of open looks and made some atrocious decisions in the final minute.

Oh, and force a turnover or two
They are too long and too talented to play a crappy team like UConn and not be more disruptive than they were. I was actually surprised to see they had six steals, though one of those was just horrific offense by UConn and they threw a ball directly too AWIII. Anyway, need to get scrappier and more opportunistic.

We need a set play or two
This -- along with feeding the post -- has been one area where I'm fine with folks being critical of JB. It's one thing to have a mostly freestyle offense. But you cannot go 6 minutes (and it's been longer in other games) without getting a good look. 6 minutes without a bucket is bad but it happens. 6 minutes without a good look -- which bilas pointed out -- is absolutely inexcusable. I don't know what the play is, but someone on that bench should have one that basically works to at least get them a decent shot when they get into a rut.

If they do those three things are they a good team? I have no clue. Maybe those aren't even the real keys. But they feel like the only hope of salvaging this trainwreck of a season.

First, we need to take a breath and realize there's a long way to go. It may be a painful slog, it may improve, but either way it's probably not worth flipping out over. Having said that, I can't imagine many here believing this team has either A) played well this season (even in some of the easy wins there's been ... issues) or B) shown much indication that better things are to come.

But, regardless, I'll recount the issues I see on this team and theoretically we may even be able to discuss them without throwing our computers against the wall and vowing never to watch basketball again.

We don't get good looks
We'll talk about JB in a bit but regardless of how you view the coaching staff's role in this, the bottom line is that this team -- as Bilas (who's great even though I'm biased b/c he usually says nice things about the cuse) pointed out -- wasn't scoring for 6 minutes b/c they failed to generate good looks ... ever, basically. Early I was bemoaning the fact that we were just jacking up 3s. Then, we decided to attack the basket and finished 8 of 28 from inside the arc and missed 8 FTs to boot. Maybe we should stick to 3s. What's more -- that's the second time this season we've managed to make a total of 8 2-point FGs in a game this season (we actually shot worse vs. USC going 8 of 29) AND miss at least 8 FTs (we missed 10 FTs vs. USC). The problem is where do we go for shots? I don't know (more on that in a minute -- see Lydon, Tyler). This is a scary, scary prospect not just in the sense that we may lose lots of games because of it, but it may be yet another year of atrociously ugly offensive basketball. That makes me depressed.

I'm going to be careful not to hammer White b/c, well, for one the guy can shoot and, perhaps more importantly, if he didn't shoot half the time we might just take shot clock violations. But, against the three real teams Syracuse has played this year, AWIII is 12-for-39 or 30.7%. Somewhere Michael Carter-Williams and Brandon Triche are cringing ... which is saying something. Now, to be fair, White has been valuable. He is about the only good thing that happened vs. North Florida and he is the sole reason Monmouth turned into a laugher. But with 1 assist and 30% shooting in three games vs. legit opposition, it's hard not to wonder if he is really the guy we should be running our offense through.

I think Howard will be a great player here and I'm starting to get the feeling that the minutes doled out to Gillon earlier in the season may not have been the best strategy but regardless Gillon had a solid stint vs. Wisconsin but has been brutal in three of the last four. Howard was 0-for-9 and has really, really struggled to finish around the basket. And Battle, while he's shot well, has shown almost no ability to create his own shot -- something this offense desperately needs. Defensively, forget it. The guards get lost on defense so much that Chukwu is shaking his head on the bench. When teams nonchalantly pass it to the high post and then quickly pick a wide open shooter on the wing to feed ... that's a bad look. We can talk about a bunch of things vs. UConn but they missed a ton of open jumpers from the wing that made this game look closer than it might have been otherwise.

I get it -- he's missed shots and hasn't played well. He doesn't look real comfortable in the post. Forget about the NBA for a minute: the bottom line is that Lydon is the most talented player on this team period (Battle is an athlete but spends most of his time going east/west; howard is inconsistent; white is one-dimensional, etc). Get him the ball and force him to run this offense. Get it to him in the paint. Run plays for him to take shots. Make him part of a hi/low set with whomever else you want. Bottom line is that they need him playing more aggresively in the paint -- Dude has 22 FTs attempted which is behind Coleman (half the minutes) Howard and White. He should be doubling up those dudes. They have to get him going and why that hasn't been a priority is confusing to me.

I love the DC story and if I had had to bet prior to the season I think I would have bet that DC never reached double-figures or 30 mins in a game this season. Instead he's more or less done both in each of the past three games. That said, he still really struggles on defense and it's hard not to think that this team is at it's best when he's more of a support player. So maybe he's still playing a big role, but 15-20 minutes instead of 30.

I get it -- Roberson on the court isn't going to help the offense. The issue I have is that this is a kid that played a huge -- I mean HUGE -- role in the final four run last season. He is an athlete who hustles. He's a senior. Please get him the ball.

Oops, not sure that's true but somebody needs to step up and breath some life into this group.

I'll get this out of the way early -- I'm a JB apologist. I love his ornery, f-you attitude and the fact that he doesn't give a s--t what people think. But, it's hard not to look at JB and wonder about what's going on this year. It drives people crazy but JB is a probabilities guy -- he sticks to the defense he thinks statistically will work the highest percentage of time (zone) by forcing opponents into the lowest percentage shots (outside shots), he sticks with guys he trusts (veterans) and has no qualms about riding his best players like rented mules. You can hate all that, but this year, he hasn't done that. He's tinkering around with the offense so much that Roberson is nowhere to be found despite being a huge reason we made the final four (that never happens). Battle didn't play at all, now he's playing a ton. Howard and Gillon were splitting time, then it looked like Gillon had a decent edge, now Gillon plays pretty sparingly. We pressed a lot, now we never press.

Point is, we're all over the place. As many have pointed out, the thrilling run last March has covered up some ugly warts in this program and as bad as the defense has been at times during that stretch, JB's freewheeling make-it-up-as-you-go offense has been a major cuprit and the recruiting (to a lesser degree, I think) hasn't been impressive either.

So where to from here?

I don't know how you fix it or what happened to this team. I still look at the individual parts and think they are dramatically better than the past two teams -- last year you had Richardson on a rollercoaster all season, G playing out of position at PG (having a great year, obviously, but not a real PG) Cooney who was solid on D but never quite figured out how to play with any sort of efficiency offensively, a limited roberson, a young Howard, and a huge surprise in Lydon, who was great but forced to play C. Two years ago, many of the same issues but inexplicably Rak went from a guy who was dreadfully bad on the offensive end to a complete stud, which saved us from a sub-.500 season.

At least this year you have a shooter in White, a couple potentially difference-making bigs in Roberson and Lydon, a couple more decent big bodies in DC and Thompson and a couple guys who should be adequate at PG in Howard and Gillon. Add in a wild card in Battle and there's stuff there to work with.

So if we assume this team has some chance at still kicking in March (not a guarantee by any stretch), what I'd guess needs to happen (and no, I don't pretend to be a coach) is this:

They need to force the ball through Lydon on most possessions -- and work the hi/low
He's looked awful thus far but they have to go to him in the post and/or find other ways for him to score. White is fine, you cannot run an offense through him. High volume shooters who do nothing else are an issue. He's not steph curry, he's mostly a standstill shooter. And whether it's roberson/thompson/DC -- they need to take advantage of the fact that they have multiple post players who can at least catch and finish and, in the case of TT/DC/Lydon actually bring a fair amount of skill to the table.

Play Robey
I get it, he's limited offensively. But they've got to get him playing and fired up. They have to, he's just too much of a factor for a team that doesn't appear to have game-changers otherwise. He obvoiusly needs to do his part too, but his riding pine makes not sense to me.

Teams are passing to the FT line, that guy is standing there calmly and flicking it to wide open shooters on each wing or turning and finding a wide open teammate on the baseline. I don't mean a few times, I mean basically every time the ball goes to the high post. This is ... a problem. The guards look lost defensively, DC really struggles to cover ground in the middle and TT on a wing is awful. I don't know if this will be a good defensive team at any point, but there is no excuse for executing that poorly. I'd argue that the only reason we lost to UConn by two instead of 10 is that they actually missed a bunch of open looks and made some atrocious decisions in the final minute.

They are too long and too talented to play a crappy team like UConn and not be more disruptive than they were. I was actually surprised to see they had six steals, though one of those was just horrific offense by UConn and they threw a ball directly too AWIII. Anyway, need to get scrappier and more opportunistic.

This -- along with feeding the post -- has been one area where I'm fine with folks being critical of JB. It's one thing to have a mostly freestyle offense. But you cannot go 6 minutes (and it's been longer in other games) without getting a good look. 6 minutes without a bucket is bad but it happens. 6 minutes without a good look -- which bilas pointed out -- is absolutely inexcusable. I don't know what the play is, but someone on that bench should have one that basically works to at least get them a decent shot when they get into a rut.

If they do those three things are they a good team? I have no clue. Maybe those aren't even the real keys. But they feel like the only hope of salvaging this trainwreck of a season.

Regarding the shooting last night, I can't stress enough how badly I want JB to take a piece of tape or two when we play on NBA floors and put a giant X over the NBA line. Our guys are just so bad at recognizing this. So then they shoot a much longer shot, miss, and repeat. And it gets in their head and they are done for the night, or so it seems.

I agree on the need for more Roby, but he has to realize what his role is and how to optimize his time on the floor. No dribble drives unless it's a clear path and he can dunk the ball straight.

I agree with the OP's points, but I can't see how much of this changes unless the PG play dramatically improves. Howard and Gillon are a combined 9-35 with 10 assists and 11 turnovers against UConn, South Carolina, and Wisconsin. This might be the worst PG play we've ever had and that's saying something considering Kaleb Joseph started here two years ago.

I agree with the OP's points, but I can't see how much of this changes unless the PG play dramatically improves. Howard and Gillon are a combined 9-35 with 10 assists and 11 turnovers against UConn, South Carolina, and Wisconsin. This might be the worst PG play we've ever had and that's saying something considering Kaleb Joseph started here two years ago.

Here's the thing about assists. If the guys who receive the pass fail to make the shot, despite the fact it was still a great pass, the assist goes away. We are really bad at shooting. Our guards would have a bunch more assists last night if guys just made shots. But they didn't. And they did really stupid things like DC and giving up a 7 footer to head fake dribble into the lane and put the ball into the other team's hands. So friggin frustrating.

Here's the thing about assists. If the guys who receive the pass fail to make the shot, despite the fact it was still a great pass, the assist goes away. We are really bad at shooting. Our guards would have a bunch more assists last night if guys just made shots. But they didn't. And they did really stupid things like DC and giving up a 7 footer to head fake dribble into the lane and put the ball into the other team's hands. So friggin frustrating.

They don't get any penetration though. I get the frustration with some of the other guys like Roberson, Lydon, Battle etc, but it's imperative we get to the basket more. Mal, Cooney and Gbinije got to the basket better than what we are seeing this year and they weren't even PG's.

They don't get any penetration though. I get the frustration with some of the other guys like Roberson, Lydon, Battle etc, but it's imperative we get to the basket more. Mal, Cooney and Gbinije got to the basket better than what we are seeing this year and they weren't even PG's.

Howard got plenty of penetration last night. He just missed. But he drove at least once and dumped the ball to DC who got an easy layup. We need him to continue attacking the rack, but look to kick to White and Lydon outside or Roby and DC when they are DIRECTLY UNDER THE BASKET ONLY.

If you just pull out AW3's 3 FG% from games against better comp, yeah, he'll look worse than on season, but you could do that for everyone. Few players shoot well against good teams. The problem is, as you say, he is a chucker and no one else on the team is good enough to play 1-1 iso. This team desperately needs an offensive philosophy slightly more complex than what they're doing know.

i commend your well considered post. as far as our offenses woes i wish we would just watch some tape , identify our advantages vs their flaws then dissect and attack them accordingly . you know like a " game plan" rather than a chuckfest. i believe that's called coaching .

Last edited:
It's a chuckfest out there because we have no ability to get to the rim or finish at the rim - Howard cant get by a turtle without a screen and then he can't finish - Lydon dribbling is pathetic - Roberson dribbling is almost as pathetic - White doesn't drive - come to think of it - our best slasher is probably Coleman and I'm being serious - if we are not recruiting over Lydon then we need a top notch SF so Lydon can sit out deep and pass the ball around or shoot every so once in a while - Howard has to be recruited over - Green not coming is going to kill us - at the point White and Battle should shoot 25 threes a game - each

...jimmy doesn't like chuckers

The_jimmy.png

Great post... My solution is we should press all game long and turn the game into a full court chaotic mess. At least in that scenario we can use our depth and length and athleticism which really are our only advantages. Our half court sets on both offense and defense are a disaster this year.

Here is what struck me from the OP:
"So where to from here?

I don't know how you fix it or what happened to this team. I still look at the individual parts and think they are dramatically better than the past two teams ..."

The answer might be simple -- the individual parts aren't that great right now. The guards are limited and the inside players can't finish plays. There isn't a magical fix. The young players (Battle, Howard & Lydon) need to play better, and that might take a while.

What happened to this team? Maybe not that much. The early games were not a fair measure.

Great post... My solution is we should press all game long and turn the game into a full court chaotic mess. At least in that scenario we can use our depth and length and athleticism which really are our only advantages. Our half court sets on both offense and defense are a disaster this year.

I don't know about all game long, but against a squad with at least one replacement guard, why not try it a bit?

imo would like to see lydon get an immediate screen after a high post entry. Hes to far from the basket with his dribble and not explosive enough to beat his man one on one on the entry. He doesn't get down in a low stance and dribble explosively its just not his game.
Maybe something with Thompson over time, as they can return the favor for each other, pop out for the short jumper, and if it starts working we could probably even move white back to the two for a few minutes in that set, and take advantage of dajuans sealing off knowledge underneath. Thompson may finish better through contact then lydon or roberson.

I could blame this loss on roberson literally. Coming in the second half missing his second layup and not getting back on defense immediately after was quite possibly the single worst display of non hustle from a single play ever.

Last edited:
roberson played 1:15 the second and a winded lydon had to play the whole half. robersons missed layup and non hustle back that play should have got him chewed 10x worse then anything gillon or any other player has done this year, and it didn't on camera anyway.

We don't get good looks

So where to from here?

Play Robey

We had set plays last night. You could see FH , etc trying to direct things. Its just that the way JB runs his offense its not unusual for JBs set plays to break down, hes fine with it. But when they do break down or dont go exactly as planned, someone needs to make a play off a dribble drive. We just dont have any players who can do that yet this year vs a good team

Lydon needs to play the 5 on offense, and especially on defense when DC2 is in with him...
FH = pg
TB = sg
AW = sf
TT = pf
TL = c

fact. tyler lydon ain't a five. but derrick coleman wasn't a five either .he played out of position due to necessity . (or poor recruiting) .
but #44 was 5 x's the 5 # 20 is. do the math people . lydon can't man the middle. 20< 44. and that's more than an algorithm. ergo a truism.

Last edited:
Lydon needs to play the 5 on offense, and especially on defense when DC2 is in with him...
FH = pg
TB = sg
AW = sf
TT = pf
TL = c

If we played that last night we lose by 15. Did you see what Coleman did last night when everybody else stunk?

If we played that last night we lose by 15. Did you see what Coleman did last night when everybody else stunk?
True, and I like DC2. Hell, I had him in my "money" lineup before the season started. Problem is he has no hops and we need shot blocking from the center of the zone. Lydon at c and DC2 at pf could work, hell, DC2 can't be any worse at getting out to the shooters than whats been seen so far...

True, and I like DC2. Hell, I had him in my "money" lineup before the season started. Problem is he has no hops and we need shot blocking from the center of the zone. Lydon at c and DC2 at pf could work, hell, DC2 can't be any worse at getting out to the shooters than whats been seen so far...
Yes, he can be worse.

And we need rebounding from the center position far more than blocks. DC stays at the 5.

It's the job of the coaches to put the players in a position to succeed by maximizing what they do best and minimizing what they don't do well. Anyone can harp about the players forever but at this level no one is a finished product and every guy has limitations of one sort or another.

Pretty much every year at some point or another we hear from JB the same old refrain about what we can't do...can't change defenses, can't play man, can't press, can't go away from the high pick and roll, this guy stinks that guy's a disappointment, we have work to do, blah blah. The offense has been stagnant now for years..the players change but what's been the constant? The coaches. Maybe they just force the system on the players rather than assessing what the players do best and build an offensive and defensive scheme around that. It looked like that might happen this year, and yes he's tinkered but that's all it is, tinkering without commitment.

The UVA game last year was a perfect example...first 30 mins JB sticks with the pick and roll which goes nowhere. Last 10 minutes, he changes to off the ball screens and miraculously we're freed up for open shots and his let-the-players-play philosophy works. So far this year, the coaches have given a clinic on how not to capitalize on what your players do best.

Yes, he can be worse.

And we need rebounding from the center position far more than blocks. DC stays at the 5.
Maybe he can be worse getting to the 3point line, but I disagree on rebounding v. blocks/presence in the middle. You can get rebounding from forwards and guards, center defense (blocks/intimidation) is needed more...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom