Class of 2020 - DL Cody Roscoe (TX) Transferring from McNeese St to Syracuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 DL Cody Roscoe (TX) Transferring from McNeese St to Syracuse

Fellas, he is not a OLB. Looks like a weak side DE in this scheme. The biggest challenge he will have is lack of length at 6'1. He will be going against longer and bigger lineman. He does have good explosiveness and quickness for his body type. Not sure how well it translates
Zero to little risk bringing him in, especially at this point in the process. He can only help.

He is not a OLB. He played his whole career with his hand in the dirt. He’s a weak side DE in this scheme. His issue is length. We will see what he can give us.
You mention length, but as I posted early in the thread, he had 10 pass breaks ups in 2019. That's a crazy number, even for FCS. I'm assuming most of those were knock downs at the line.

You mention length, but as I posted early in the thread, he had 10 pass breaks ups in 2019. That's a crazy number, even for FCS. I'm assuming most of those were knock downs at the line.
That is crazy. We can definitely use his ability to knock down passes but its not just that. Length is crucial on the edge because of the importance of defending outside zone, pin and pulls and jets sweeps etc.. He's gonna have to locate ball carriers over taller, stronger and more athletic offensive tackles. Can he get consistent arm extension and separation against ACC tackles? I don't know but I'm glad to have him. I'm sure the staff will utilize his strengths.

He is not a OLB. He played his whole career with his hand in the dirt. He’s a weak side DE in this scheme. His issue is length. We will see what he can give us.
I’m not sure he has the size to play de in the new system. De are going to be minimum 270. My understanding in the new system that de are not pure pass rushers. Their assignment would be to take on blocks and let the lbs fill the gaps.

I’m not sure he has the size to play de in the new system. De are going to be minimum 270. My understanding in the new system that de are not pure pass rushers. Their assignment would be to take on blocks and let the lbs fill the gaps.
Its about movement. Not occupying gaps but penetrating gaps. DE's will line up anywhere from outside the tackle to inside the guard and there is usually some type of stunt going on. I imagine he will be another weakside end along with Kingsley, who is 255 pounds himself.

According to the current weights on the 2020 roster, there are 3 scholarship guys on the DL who weigh more than 270 pounds right now. That includes tackles. 270 isn't going to be a requirement this year.

According to the current weights on the 2020 roster, there are 3 scholarship guys on the DL who weigh more than 270 pounds right now. That includes tackles. 270 isn't going to be a requirement this year.

You, with your facts and reasoning - there’s no place for that here. :p

The WHOLE POINT of the 3-3-5, is that you can get away with smaller D-Linemen, since the overall havoc and unpredictability of it helps overcome the lack of size up front.

There are actually a few more dudes about that size
Caleb & Rondi are both just 1 big meal shy of 270.

Black is 277, Bear 283.
Darton 287, Rhino 292. Harper 292.
(Darton is PWO; Rhino not ‘officially’ a DT)

But the point stands - most of these guys are DT’s or strong-side DE’s.
We’re still gonna roll out plenty of other DE’s who weigh in the 240’s-250’s
Kingsley Jonathan is likely our best DE this year, and he’s “only” 256.
Tuazama looks promising, and he’s 245.

You, with your facts and reasoning - there’s no place for that here. :p

The WHOLE POINT of the 3-3-5, is that you can get away with smaller D-Linemen, since the overall havoc and unpredictability of it helps overcome the lack of size up front.

There are actually a few more dudes about that size
Caleb & Rondi are both just 1 big meal shy of 270.

Black is 277, Bear 283.
Darton 287, Rhino 292. Harper 292.
(Darton is PWO; Rhino not ‘officially’ a DT)

But the point stands - most of these guys are DT’s or strong-side DE’s.
We’re still gonna roll out plenty of other DE’s who weigh in the 240’s-250’s
Kingsley Jonathan is likely our best DE this year, and he’s “only” 256.
Tuazama looks promising, and he’s 245.
Good observation. Gonna be interesting to see if they can get most of their stuff implemented in August. We definitely need to be moving. Can’t try to muscle offensive lines with that size.

His twitter profile says DE/OLB so I guess that answers that...

His twitter profile says DE/OLB so I guess that answers that...
It answers what? That he's playing OLB at Cuse? Show me some film of him playing OLB so I can evaluate his skill set.

It answers what? That he's playing OLB at Cuse? Show me some film of him playing OLB so I can get evaluate his skill set.
He changed it when he transferred. So assumptions would be that the staff told him they might use him at both positions. I don't have film of it, but why would he list that otherwise?

He changed it when he transferred. So assumptions would be that the staff told him they might use him at both positions. I don't have film of it, but why would he list that otherwise?
He probably put that there to make himself look more marketable to schools. Being willing to play OLB and playing OLB is two different things. His success comes from playing the DE position. That's what he's been playing.

He probably put that there to make himself look more marketable to schools. Being willing to play OLB and playing OLB is two different things. His success comes from playing the DE position. That's what he's been playing.
It has two oranges next to it. Why would he need to make himself more marketable when he's already coming here?

It has two oranges next to it. Why would he need to make himself more marketable when he's already coming here?
My bad I meant to say marketable to the NFL. That's the only explanation I can come up with of why someone would put a position in his profile that he's never played.

My bad I meant to say marketable to the NFL. That's the only explanation I can come up with of why someone would put a position in his profile that he's never played.
The other explanation would be the coaches told him that he will be playing both, which is far more plausible.

Its about movement. Not occupying gaps but penetrating gaps. DE's will line up anywhere from outside the tackle to inside the guard and there is usually some type of stunt going on. I imagine he will be another weakside end along with Kingsley, who is 255 pounds himself.
Thanks for the break down.

Thanks for the break down.
No problem I got a lot of time these days. lol. I like talking football X's and O's. I run this scheme so I know a little about it. Teams like Iowa st, Baylor and Virginia don't do as much blitzing and stunting out of it so they need bigger D lineman up front.

Last edited:
No problem I got a lot of time these days. lol. I like talking football X's and O's. I run this scheme so I know a little about it. Teams like Iowa st, Baylor and Virginia don't do as much blitzing and stunting out of it so they they need bigger D lineman up front.
It is safe to assume Syracuse is going to do a ton of blitzing and stunting, ala San Diego State? I am hoping this is the case...

It is safe to assume Syracuse is going to do a ton of blitzing and stunting, ala San Diego State? I am hoping this is the case...
FWIW, didn't see so much of it last year at ASU.

FWIW, didn't see so much of it last year at ASU.
Pretty sure the HC was not a big fan. Note that he did not stick with the 3-3-5 when he lost White.

Reading between the lines, I don't think Gonzales got to run that defense the way he wanted. I think things will be different for Tony working with Dino.

Pretty sure the HC was not a big fan. Note that he did not stick with the 3-3-5 when he lost White.

Reading between the lines, I don't think Gonzales got to run that defense the way he wanted. I think things will be different for Tony working with Dino.
This is a great thought. I dont think ASU had the personnel to make that easy transition. Im guessing they didnt fully commit to the whole scheme. Majority of their D lineman were already bigger. I think they held back on a lot of the stunts and blitzes because of that.

I thought I saw somewhere that they were more aggressive with the stunting the 1st year, but opted to do less of it in year 2, due to the complications.

Fellas, he is not a OLB. Looks like a weak side DE in this scheme. The biggest challenge he will have is lack of length at 6'1. He will be going against longer and bigger lineman. He does have good explosiveness and quickness for his body type. Not sure how well it translates

I feel his pain

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom