Class of 2023 - DL Ty Gordon (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (12/17/22) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 DL Ty Gordon (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (12/17/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not making excuses -- but it looks like Gordon was a multi-sport athlete who didn't start playing football until late [junior year], and wasn't immersed on the gridiron like many other prospects. He's a superb athlete [like -- a ridiculous athlete], so this could be one of those situations where he has all the tools / attributes that we require from our DTs, as Go alludes to above.
Another Jobity. Frames and traits that can be coached up.

Last edited:
Looks like they identified a kid with the traits they are looking for. Strong hands, can control ol and get across their inside shoulder, small area quickness, low pad level.

‘’looking at the roster there should be an urgency to throw him in. Can develop.
Well said

Could have been a late bloomer. You just never know with these types. Some guys don't have the grades to play college ball and won't receive any offers despite skill level.
You’d think at least 1 other school would look at him if he’s P5 potential

Another Jobity. Frames and traits that can coached up.

I'll add that as a HS senior, he is at the same weight as our current pair of defensive tackles [Darton and Lockett]. He's also 6-2 [compared to Darton being 5-11], so Gordon should have no trouble playing at say 280 or 285 in a year or two, while not sacrificing any of the athleticism / lateral mobility / straight line speed.

If the athleticism and motor translate to the field, then you can see the seeds being planted where we have the same type of athletic versatility required for the 3-3-5 on the DL, but with larger players up front -- who hopefully will be better suited to hold up against the run.

Ingraham is another guy who's "bigger" than what we had this year [at 295 pounds]. It's a process.

You’d think at least 1 other school would look at him if he’s P5 potential
We don't know that other schools didn't. Not all offers are made public and many times it comes down to offering one of 2-3 players at various positions. It's a crapshoot.

I thought the same with Bergeron. Also guys with great offers like Nunn Kinsler Qadir White Ed Hendrix Cam Jonas didnt do squat. So again. You cant just look at offer lists.
I’m not saying you should go by that only, but stack up all the kids that turned into a starter with P5 offers versus the kids that turned into a starter with no P5 offers and i think one list is much longer than the other

Feels like the best path forward for the staff is to try and identify and develop guys in positions that are hard to get (DL/OL and maybe LB) and then you can portal shop for a lot of the other spots on the field.

Starts with coaching up good scheme fits like this player.

I’m not saying you should go by that only, but stack up all the kids that turned into a starter with P5 offers versus the kids that turned into a starter with no P5 offers and i think one list is much longer than the other
Well of course you want most of your players with offers from P5 teams. That’s not the point though. All we are saying is look at everything. Not just offers. It gives you a better picture of why the staff wants him. P5 offers doesn’t predict how the player fits in a system and culture of a team or how hard he is going to work. Anyone can casually look at an offer list and form an opinion.

Last edited:
I thought the same with Bergeron. Also guys with great offers like Nunn Kinsler Qadir White Ed Hendrix Cam Jonas didnt do squat. So again. You cant just look at offer lists.
Not only that but how many programs run a 3-3-5 where a DL of his size is ideal? Schemes can offer landing spots for guys that maybe other schools can’t offer due to “measurables”

Status
Not open for further replies.