DO article on NJ recruiting | Syracusefan.com

DO article on NJ recruiting

lol what kind of article is this? There's nothing that significant in there. SU obviously didnt want him enough. Why are they doing a random article about one Jersey kid that hasn't recorded any stats for his team? You can make this same article for rutgers and other schools that had interest.

What is? NJ is over recruited and over rated. The top end players are good but there isn't depth. We have gotten quality kids out of NJ. The big miss is a 3 star WR who played in 5 games and made zero catches?

They never offered the kid right? were they obligated to do so? I guess I don't get it. He's from NJ and the staff passed for some reason or another. Looks like he wound up in a good spot so who care's? Nothing to see here, IMO

The article is dumb.

We nabbed one of the top players from NJ last year [I think his rating was "deflated" by Dohn and the RU a$$ clown schills to downplay that he didn't seriously consider Rutgers], who not only started as a true freshman but was a frosh All-American.

Then, we went out and landed the Gatorade player of the year in NJ this year, in LaQuint Allen.

And to top things off, we flipped a highly rated NJ DE from Northwestern.

And the cherry on top was pulling 4-star Alijah Clark from RU as a transfer.

I'd say we're working NJ pretty hard. Now that we've got this solid nucleus [admittedly, they are all from southern Jersey / Philly area, not up in the NYC "suburbs" of NE NJ], I bet we can build on that.

Hell, Allen, Clark, and Jaquez were influenced by their HS buddy - Duce Chestnut's massive success here. Now that there is a core group, I'm guessing other NJ recruits will take notice and pay attention.

Hopefully he is a great WR for the cardinal in the future, but the kid has zero stats his freshman year. Not really worried about it as the coaches declined to offer. They saw him in person and didn’t like him enough, next story.

Turned out well for the kid too, seems like an odd story.

And some quotes from high school coaches who are most likely Rutgers fans and get more attention from those local college coaches. Surprise...surprise. There coaches show up at practices as they are right there and they are more likely to get the kid just from proximity and being the hometown team. This is written like its trying to damage Syracuse's chances in our hope to get more high end Jersey kids. Not the best article by the Daily Orange.

They never offered the kid right? were they obligated to do so? I guess I don't get it. He's from NJ and the staff passed for some reason or another. Looks like he wound up in a good spot so who care's? Nothing to see here, IMO
My take-away was not specific to one kid, but the big picture and the feeling that relationships aren't being made with high school coaches.

"Multiple prominent coaches in New Jersey said they have never met him."
“It’s as important, if not more important, than any other relationship in the process,” Luginbill said of the relationship between college and high school head coaches. “I would call it highly, highly unusual for a high school head coach to have not met a college head coach.”

That's not good and not shocking to me based on things I've heard. Hopefully, with our improved OC/QB, Dino can step it up on the recruiting trail. He is super charismatic, he just needs to be willing to grind on the recruiting trail. A guy like Schiano may be a used car salesman, but he is a relentless recruiter. If Dino does this (and we win a few games), the results would follow.

Last edited:
The egos of NJ high school coaches/assistants seem far larger than most other states. Combine that with the fact they have live in NJ and you get some odd SOBs.

I'm sure the staff could and should do more -- you always can. That said, some of those NJ relationships have been decades in the making and aren't easy to overcome immediately, especially at the top schools. It's why some of the catholic schools like ND and BC have always had an advantage at certain places.

Dino's a transparent, open guy -- he can be incredibly charming when he wants to be. But I don't seem him BS'ing some HS coaches just for the sake of doing it to cater to their egos. There are thousands of coaches around the country -- can't win them all.

Maybe I'm wrong and that's what everyone does but recruiting is a slimy business.

It is a pretty daming article and there’s a lot of truth in it. It’s unconscionable not to contact the schools the fired coaches were actively recruiting just to say hey we’re going to reevaluate our assignments. There’s some very basic principles when it comes to sales. Communication is huge.

It’s unfortunate to that seemingly everything falls on the shoulders of one recruiter. Monroe.

I’d like to know why Syracuse didn’t hold a junior day yet. It might be a fair excuse if you want to wait for better weather and easier travel but historically you host one in January for a basketball game. Pasqualoni was huge on them. Que the excuse replies but Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh and even Virginia (w/staff turmoil) managed to host a January junior day. (I don’t know about BC or Maryland).

People can spin what they want but the results speak for themselves.

The article is dumb.

We nabbed one of the top players from NJ last year [I think his rating was "deflated" by Dohn and the RU a$$ clown schills to downplay that he didn't seriously consider Rutgers], who not only started as a true freshman but was a frosh All-American.

Then, we went out and landed the Gatorade player of the year in NJ this year, in LaQuint Allen.

I'd say we're working NJ pretty hard. Now that we've got this solid nucleus [admittedly, they are all from southern Jersey / Philly area, not up in the NYC "suburbs" of NE NJ], I bet we can build on that.

Hell, Allen, Clark, and Jaquez were influenced by their HS buddy - Duce Chestnut's massive success here. Now that there is a core group, I'm guessing other NJ recruits will take notice and pay attention.
And we got Taj Harris in 2018. A 3 year starter. He was a big miss for rutgers. They cant stop salivating now that he's transferring in. lol

Reactions: CIL
HS coaches have egos too, I guess. It’s gotta be easier to recruit, though, if you’ve met all the head coaches at the most prominent programs - assuming they have all been in their HC positions more than a season or two.

"i have to laugh a little bit when our own student newspaper is calling out his missteps. They actually listened to a couple NJ HS Coaches who I guarantee you will never be college coaches, of course our paper won't print that cause somebody said it. Without NJ players we wouldn't have won 10 fu#k$ng games"

The article is dumb.

Has that always been the case though? We get kids from Southern NJ while the Northern Parochials go elsewhere.

It’s not just New Jersey. Pennsylvania is a bigger issue than NJ IMO. We only have three scholarship players on the roster from Pennsylvania.
I feel like that comes down to philosophy. Pipeline vs. "best we can get who is interested, regardless of home town."

It’s not just New Jersey. Pennsylvania is a bigger issue than NJ IMO. We only have three scholarship players on the roster from Pennsylvania.

We seem to be going too national. If you look at the map in the article, why do we have so many kids from the West, Southwest, and Midwest. Talent is talent, it shouldn't matter where it comes from. But finding talent and getting talent to commit would be easier in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, or Southeast. The purple section (MD, VA, OH) is sad.

We seem to be going too national. If you look at the map in the article, why do we have so many kids from the West, Southwest, and Midwest. Talent is talent, it shouldn't matter where it comes from. But finding talent and getting talent to commit would be easier in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, or Southeast. The purple section (MD, VA, OH) is sad.

I’ve always advocated going where the talent is and especially with our conference footprint we should be hammering Georgia Florida and the Carolinas totally agree with that, but New Jersey Philly Pennsylvania VA Maryland these places have a lot of talent and they’re drivable. Pasqualoni was not wrong when he used to talk about that five hour driving radius.

Our staff should be hitting every single one of these high schools on their off days. A week or two back people were giving me crap about the coaches needing a vacation, give me a break, these guys make 100s of thousands. Get in the car, get on the road, and go visit the Philly Catholic schools and stop in Harrisburg and Scranton on the way through.

Last edited:
I’ve always advocated going where the talent is and especially with our conference footprint we should be hammering Georgia Florida and the Carolinas totally agree with that but New Jersey Philly Pennsylvania VA Maryland these places have a lot of talent and they’re drivable. Pasqualoni was not wrong when he used to talk about that five hour driving radius
There's also the argument to be made for "follow the population growth."

"Syracuse didn’t make Babers or any of his assistants available to comment for this story. "

Uh, because it's against NCAA regulations to talk about recruits who don't sign with your school.
You can talk about recruiting without talking about specific recruits.

It is a pretty daming article and there’s a lot of truth in it. It’s unconscionable not to contact the schools the fired coaches were actively recruiting just to say hey we’re going to reevaluate our assignments. There’s some very basic principles when it comes to sales. Communication is huge.

It’s unfortunate to that seemingly everything falls on the shoulders of one recruiter. Monroe.

I’d like to know why Syracuse didn’t hold a junior day yet. It might be a fair excuse if you want to wait for better weather and easier travel but historically you host one in January for a basketball game. Pasqualoni was huge on them. Que the excuse replies but Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh and even Virginia (w/staff turmoil) managed to host a January junior day. (I don’t know about BC or Maryland).

People can spin what they want but the results speak for themselves.
Any story is damning when you only present one side of it.

This is the same reason why I wouldn’t waste my time reading the PS articles whenever it came to recruiting because they were always one-sided.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom