DO article on NJ recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DO article on NJ recruiting

I’ve always advocated going where the talent is and especially with our conference footprint we should be hammering Georgia Florida and the Carolinas totally agree with that but New Jersey Philly Pennsylvania VA Maryland these places have a lot of talent and they’re drivable. Pasqualoni was not wrong when he used to talk about that five hour driving radius.

Our staff should be hitting every single one of these high schools on their off days. A week or two back people were giving me crap about the coaches needing a vacation give me a break these guys make 100s of thousands. Get in the car get on the road and go visit the Philly Catholic schools

I think Ohio should be added as well. If a family wanted to watch their kid play it is drivable to Cuse plus Louisville, Pitt, Wake, NC State, Clemson. They are long trips but one could easily leave Friday afternoon and be home Sunday afternoon.

Edit

Forgot we play MAC Ohio schools as well.

There's also the argument to be made for "follow the population growth."

IMO we should be recruiting where we play games. There is plenty of talent from Mass, Conn, NY, NJ, PA, OH, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL. We shouldn't need to go outside of that. Sure if we get a tip on the kid go take him. But the bulk of our coaches time should be in the list above.

Any story is damning when you only present one side of it.

This is the same reason why I wouldn’t waste my time reading the PS articles whenever it came to recruiting because they were always one-sided.

I definitely agree there are two sides to every story. But what would the other side say in this story? We contact people but nobody’s interested? We can’t make a sale?

And to be clear here I’m fine with our recruiting in New Jersey (Pennsylvania not so much), but I just don’t like to see a lack of effort (true or not perception is everything.) You look around at some of these other staffs and they’re just all over it. How many people even said recently, with all the social media photos, they’ve never seen Babers out on the road this much. That effort is a day late and a dollar short.

Last edited:
One of the best off-seasons in recent years and this is is what the DO does? Damn...Also, maybe there's a reason Dino changed his staff then? Woof to this article...should be about looking ahead, not an airing of grievances.

Few things. NJ is 10th in recruiting this year. Last year #12. Not in top 15 since 2013 if my rough math is correct. SU RECRUITS NATIONALLY!! Size from the Midwest, Speed from the South, Skill from the Coasts.

And to compare, Rutgers rarely recruits past the Mississippi and sometimes stays regionally. No S they are going to have a majority of NJ recruits.

Seems SU is taking things the quiet route this turn, and seems like it helped keep some guys and flip a few. I'm fine with the NJ recruiting.

IMO we should be recruiting where we play games. There is plenty of talent from Mass, Conn, NY, NJ, PA, OH, MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL. We shouldn't need to go outside of that. Sure if we get a tip on the kid go take him. But the bulk of our coaches time should be in the list above.
That's what I mean by a "Philosophy Question" because the staff obviously has a different approach. Unfortunately, it's not really a thing that's quantifiable to say which is the better way to do it. Because how does one simulate on-field results with players we don't have?

without reading the article it sounds like some young kid trying to make a name for himself with a hit piece hoping to gain some fame and maybe a good job after college. Unfortunately that's what passes for "journalism" these days.

without reading the article it sounds like some young kid trying to make a name for himself with a hit piece hoping to gain some fame and maybe a good job after college. Unfortunately that's what passes for "journalism" these days.
The Raines thing is just an anicdote to try add a micro element to a more macro story.

My take-away was not specific to one kid, but the big picture and the feeling that relationships aren't being made with high school coaches.
I try and compile a coaches on the road thread on the recruiting forum whenever it's an off campus contact period for the coaching staff. In my last thread there were plenty of tweets by NJ coaches with Syracuse staff, including Babers. The coaches don't necessarily visit every school in a state but rather the ones they feel have the talent they are recruiting. Just because they didn't visit those coaches mentioned in that story doesn't mean they don't have relationships with HS coaches in NJ.

Article is doing what it wants us to do. Talk about recruiting in a negative way. We all know the struggles they face and the failures but this situation happens on every staff. Currently I'm still waiting on a call back from a coach I respect. He told me he will call me back 2 days ago and still hasnt. Is he a bad recruiter for that? No. They all have hiccups. Cant take things so personal.

Last edited:
My take-away was not specific to one kid, but the big picture and the feeling that relationships aren't being made with high school coaches.
I bet it has much more to do with Rutgers and their fear of SU gaining ground in what they consider ‘their‘ territory.

I decided to share with y'all my idle speculation on NJ recruiting and NOT put it behind a pay wall (you're welcome):

Well I'm on the side of SU doing what's right for SU. Maybe they perceive NJ as being overfished with a smaller pool of players being pursued by an abundance of national and local programs. Not too efficient to commit resources there unless you're pinpointing them.
In FL for example (and maybe other states I don't know) you have a greater # of D1 athletes being recruited, so it makes your odds a little better in landing a recruit.

For a comprehensive analysis of my idle speculation visit my VIP Room

In all seriousness though, Dino should get WAY more involved with recruiting, now that he has a top notch coaching staff. Dino's best attribute is his charisma... He should be shaking hands and kissing babies. I gotta believe he'd be an ace recruiter.

The infrastructure is in place for him to back off a little and be more of a GM then a coach. White/Schmidt/Anae/Beck know what they are doing... Go use that charm and get some face to face time with as many hs head coaches as humanly possible. I'd argue that should be his top priority.

I think Ohio should be added as well. If a family wanted to watch their kid play it is drivable to Cuse plus Louisville, Pitt, Wake, NC State, Clemson. They are long trips but one could easily leave Friday afternoon and be home Sunday afternoon.

Edit

Forgot we play MAC Ohio schools as well.
Ohio particularly NE Ohio/WPA should be a priority region. The BOS-WASH too. I do agree that Cuse needs to recruit areas in the ACC footprint where we have nonstops to SYR outside the 6 hour ring.

destinationsmap.jpg

In all seriousness though, Dino should get WAY more involved with recruiting, now that he has a top notch coaching staff. Dino's best attribute is his charisma... He should be shaking hands and kissing babies. I gotta believe he'd be an ace recruiter.

The infrastructure is in place for him to back off a little and be more of a GM then a coach. White/Schmidt/Anae/Beck know what they are doing... Go use that charm and get some face to face time with as many hs head coaches as humanly possible. I'd argue that should be his top priority.
The HC is traditionally the closer when it comes to recruiting. I just get the impression that because Schiano drove 30 minutes to say Hi to a coach in person that some of these guys measure every other program against that.

Article is doing what it wants us to do. Talk about recruiting in a negative way. We all know the struggles they face and the failures but this situation happens on every staff. Currently I'm still waiting on a call back from a coach I respect. He told me he will call me back 2 days ago and still hasnt. Is he a bad recruiter for that? No. They all have hiccups. Cant take things so personal.
Money I can call you and bore you with tailgating advice.

The HC is traditionally the closer when it comes to recruiting. I just get the impression that because Schiano drove 30 minutes to say Hi to a coach in person that some of these guys measure every other program against that.
Schiano has homefield advantage in NJ...that's it, oh and a helicopter

Dino has charisma and a jet on call.

There's this assumption that Greg is liked by everyone in NJ. He is not. Some people cant stand his arrogance. There are certain schools that push their kids to other schools. That's why guys like Fran Brown are important to him.

"Syracuse didn’t make Babers or any of his assistants available to comment for this story. "

Uh, because it's against NCAA regulations to talk about recruits who don't sign with your school.
This was not about one player, it was about Syracuse having shortcomings in its recruitment of New Jersey players. It was also about the head coach at Syracuse not even meeting many top New Jersey head coaches. Syracuse certainly could have responded to those comments. If they are true though then how could they respond it says a lot that they did not.

I definitely agree there are two sides to every story. But what would the other side say in this story? We contact people but nobody’s interested? We can’t make a sale?

And to be clear here I’m fine with our recruiting in New Jersey (Pennsylvania not so much), but I just don’t like to see a lack of effort (true or not perception is everything.) You look around at some of these other staffs and they’re just all over it. How many people even said recently, with all the social media photos, they’ve never seen Babers out on the road this much. That effort is a day late and a dollar short.
Well not for nothing, this author's shining example is a kid who was a top 20 NJ recruit with good offers, that's verifiable, but then the rest is all completely subjective. He supposedly dominated at our camp but wasn't offered on the spot which is the usual for kids that dominate camps - dominated according to who? His HS Coach? His Mom? And then we hear he played in 5 games as a freshman, with no context at all. Why? Because the context deflates the controversy. Yes he played in 5 games, with no stats, for a 3-9 team. There can be a number of reasons why young players play on bad teams and it isn't necessarily because they are *that* talented.

When people selectively decide what to and what not to report, it gives the appearance of an agenda. That's why everything he reported on Raines I would hope an objective person takes with a grain of salt.

He would have been better off leaving this kid out of the article entirely because it's the typical he said/she said recruiting nonsense and focusing on what the NJ high school coaches are staying. Stay away from the specific examples because that is often slanted subjectively. Something like "I've never met Dino" from a significant NJ high school coach - that's something that's verifiable and it is a problem. Dino should be physically meeting with prominent HS coaches in the Northeast. It doesn't mean he has to text them all day long or whatever but he should have physically met these guys by now especially if they have been in their roles for years.

You can talk about recruiting without talking about specific recruits.
Why even respond though? Refute what some of the coaches said and piss them off?

And I would add this is well:

Raines was offered by Virginia on May 29th, which means he camped at SU in late May.

We already had a commit at WR from Kendall Long, and we had offered future commits Oronde Gadsden II on April 11 and Umari Hatcher on Feb 27. Both of them graded higher at 2-4-7 than Raines and both were offered before Raines. And both had better offers than Raines.

Isn’t that relevant to the article? It is if you’re not trying to “find” facts to support your thesis.

Seems like a lot of people read the first 3 paragraphs about Raines but maybe nothing else. Or some may have just read the headline. He's only a small part of the whole article.

There are some things in there that should be concerning, but perhaps we are fixing with Monroe now engaged in the state.

My sense is that the article paints things as worse than they really are, but that things could be much better than they are. Like most articles, the answer likely lies in the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom