Do I dare ask | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do I dare ask

Blame the TV

Yep. I know a lot of people who just don't want to deal with the driving, parking, walking, and spending money. When they can stay at home. Parking is ridiculous, and single game prices aren't great. Throw that in with the TV, and people stay home.

While i love that CFB starts a week before the NFL and has the stage; CFB ratings across the board are down. People are still in summer mode at the shore, lake, saratoga, or just having a cue in the yard. Fb isnt back on tbe radar til after labor day. The NFL knows this and thus wouldn't go near labor day weekend to start the season. One smart thing SU does is move the game to Friday from sat. Sat breaks up the weekend. The Friday game still allows for 3 solid days of fair, camping. Fishing, shore, etc. Cant wait, go Cuse!

In 1993, after having lost to Miami 49-0 and West Virginia 43-0 the prior two weeks, we had a crowd of 48,949 in the Dome for Temple. Man I miss those days.

Ironically, that Temple game is the one game I missed during my 5+ years as an undergrad.

My parents weren't going to be able to make it so a bunch of HS friends all met up at James Madison U for the weekend.

Different times, those 90s.

STHers will be very close to last year. Still a week to go.

I expect overall attendance to go up assuming we get to 5 or 6 wins.

STHers will be very close to last year. Still a week to go.

I expect overall attendance to go up assuming we get to 5 or 6 wins.

Attendance could be lumpy. If we build up to 3-0, then lose to LSU and somehow eek out NC State, I expect a ton of buzz/people the program. Beat Pitt, then big crowd for Clemson. Lose Miami and FSU then smaller crowd for wake. lose L-ville and then even smaller crowd for BC.

However we win a few we're not supposed to win while beating who we are supposed to beat and it could change everything. Just don't do the "cusey" thing and lose to central michigan and beat LSU...

3-0 starts and smart scheduling are vital to fan engagement.

Yep. I know a lot of people who just don't want to deal with the driving, parking, walking, and spending money. When they can stay at home. Parking is ridiculous, and single game prices aren't great. Throw that in with the TV, and people stay home.

Well also the difference between sports in 1993 and sports in 2017 is that you don't have to leave your couch. How many Syracuse games got televised from 1980-1997? I'm sure we had our fair share but even then your TV was crap compared to what it is now with all the angles, HD, and beer prices are low at home ;)

While i love that CFB starts a week before the NFL and has the stage; CFB ratings across the board are down. People are still in summer mode at the shore, lake, saratoga, or just having a cue in the yard. Fb isnt back on tbe radar til after labor day. The NFL knows this and thus wouldn't go near labor day weekend to start the season. One smart thing SU does is move the game to Friday from sat. Sat breaks up the weekend. The Friday game still allows for 3 solid days of fair, camping. Fishing, shore, etc. Cant wait, go Cuse!

*pins for when the NFL goes to an 18 game schedule*

there are people who dont even know they wont be able to watch the games on tv yet too..

and i dont count streaming. considering the ago of the SU crowd in general many just cant or wont stream games.

I expect the attendance Friday night to be terrible.

Why not at least open with someone like a UConn, a Rutgirls, etc... An old rivalry to get fannies in the seats. Heck, even a UB.

people keep saying parking is ridiculous must not go to the state fair or go to any other stadium.. go sit in line at PSU or WV for 2 hrs and then walk 2 miles to get to the game and try to say how bad SU parking is. waiting 10 min for a bus isnt so bad then.

people keep saying parking is ridiculous must not go to the state fair or go to any other stadium.. go sit in line at PSU or WV for 2 hrs and then walk 2 miles to get to the game and try to say how bad SU parking is. waiting 10 min for a bus isnt so bad then.
Do they still run the shuttle from Great Northern Mall? When I lived up there, that's what I used. It was really convenient for someone that didn't cared about tailgaiting.

Do they still run the shuttle from Great Northern Mall? When I lived up there, that's what I used. It was really convenient for someone that didn't cared about tailgaiting.
Great Northern Mall is like 90% dead and only a few stores are left. It will be totally closed in a couple years.

Great Northern Mall is like 90% dead and only a few stores are left. It will be totally closed in a couple years.
I'm not sure what your point is. It's a parking lot where people can catch a bus and avoid fighting traffic and finding parking. When I had season tickets, it was really convenient for anyone from north of the city, I used it every game. It really has nothing to do with the mall itself.

Well also the difference between sports in 1993 and sports in 2017 is that you don't have to leave your couch. How many Syracuse games got televised from 1980-1997? I'm sure we had our fair share but even then your TV was crap compared to what it is now with all the angles, HD, and beer prices are low at home ;)
You can be a great fan from your couch, but you can only be a great participant when you're really there.
It's like the difference between real s e x and watching Pron. (Please don't take that analogy too far)!

I'm not sure what your point is. It's a parking lot where people can catch a bus and avoid fighting traffic and finding parking. When I had season tickets, it was really convenient for anyone from north of the city, I used it every game. It really has nothing to do with the mall itself.

The point is nothing happens there at the mall anymore and malls various different ownership's (or lack there of) hasn't done things like this in over a decade. These types of things don't happen anymore at Great Northern Mall, it has zero community involvement and the property has changed hands about 3 times in a year. It's a dead mall, dead parking lot, dead facility. The latest owner was fighting with the Town of Clay for a tax break he isn't ever getting from the last article in the newspaper so the current ownership group is essentially just letting the mall rot as tenant after tenant leaves and nobody is moving in. Things that used to happen at the mall (like having the field days in the parking lot with rides for kids and stuff like that) are long gone and aren't ever coming back. Much like this pipe dream of having it be a parking spot where people can park and catch a bus to the Dome...never gonna happen. EVER!

Not to mention there was a rape and murder that all started from the great northern mall's parking lot where the perpetrator stalked his victims there and took them to a remote area to kill the mother and rape a child. So these days this mall and specifically its parking lot isn't a destination spot for people who are "looking to just park their cars" as security there isn't top shelf if they have any at all.

Last edited:
The point is nothing happens there at the mall anymore and malls various different ownership's (or lack there of) hasn't done things like this in over a decade. These types of things don't happen anymore at Great Northern Mall, it has zero community involvement and the property has changed hands about 3 times in a year. It's a dead mall, dead parking lot, dead facility. The latest owner was fighting with the Town of Clay for a tax break he isn't ever getting from the last article in the newspaper so the current ownership group is essentially just letting the mall rot as tenant after tenant leaves and nobody is moving in. Things that used to happen at the mall (like having the field days in the parking lot with rides for kids and stuff like that) are long gone and aren't ever coming back. Much like this pipe dream of having it be a parking spot where people can park and catch a bus to the Dome...never gonna happen. EVER!

Not to mention there was a rape and murder that all started from the great northern mall's parking lot where the perpetrator stalked his victims there and took them to a remote area to kill the mother and rape a child. So these days this mall and specifically its parking lot isn't a destination spot for people who are "looking to just park their cars" as security there isn't top shelf if they have any at all.
Dude, chill. I was just asking if it still happened. When they did do it, it wasn't the mall that set it up. It was CENTRO that organized it. The mall just happened to be a convenient location at the time. They charged two bucks per person and they did it as long as there was enough demand. I assume demand faded as attendence fell. I can understand where a rape would discourage people from using a service like that at that location but I doubt it would have anything to do with mall performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom