Do we really need a spring game? | Syracusefan.com

Do we really need a spring game?

I'd really like to know what the players think about it. Do they see it as kind of a reward for a month of had work or is it just another bit of drudgery that they have to put up with? Ultimately, the way I perceive it, the purpose of practice is to get a chance to play, right? Whether it is a glorified scrimmage in front of a few thousand fans (Spring Game) or a "real" game in front of tens of thousands, I have to believe that the players would look forward to both. What the coaches think may be an entirely different matter.

I think a legitimate spring game - game - with two teams and two staffs - is a good thing.

I think it gives the coaches another way of measuring the development of the players - a game situation speeds up play and forces players to react to situations just that much faster.

I think the game last year foreshadowed the development of T. Hunt.

So, I'm for it.

I think a legitimate spring game - game - with two teams and two staffs - is a good thing.

I think it gives the coaches another way of measuring the development of the players - a game situation speeds up play and forces players to react to situations just that much faster.

So, I'm for it.

+ 1

So, I'm for it.

Agree with this. Necessary? Certainly not. But I would guess that the players look forward to the opportunity to play a game at the end of the practice season.

Shafer is all about competition. What a better way to put an exclamation point on Spring practice then a game. I would think schools like Syracuse who are still trying to put an emphasis on winning could benefit from a Spring game.

Wish we could bring in a school like Colgate to scrimmage, would make it much more of a game situation.

Wish we could bring in a school like Colgate to scrimmage, would make it much more of a game situation.
You know, you might be on to something. They scrimmage other schools in Lacrosse. A controlled scrimmage against another school sounds like a great idea.

You know, you might be on to something. They scrimmage other schools in Lacrosse. A controlled scrimmage against another school sounds like a great idea.

A controlled scrimmage against another team, even Colgate, SUNY Cortland, or another local school at a lower level, would count as one of our 12 games for the fall.

That's why nobody does it- It means an 11 game regular season.

Too bad. Still a good idea. Maybe the NCAA can come up with a rule change. Teams may abuse it though. Ohio State v Florida State or something like that.

The game being on Easter weekend may cause some problems ...good and bad I suppose.

I love the spring game but what ever is best for the team I'm all for it.

A controlled scrimmage against another team, even Colgate, SUNY Cortland, or another local school at a lower level, would count as one of our 12 games for the fall.

That's why nobody does it- It means an 11 game regular season.
I watched Hamilton scrimmage Cornell in Ithaca, but that was 20 years ago. Rules must have changed.

I watched Hamilton scrimmage Cornell in Ithaca, but that was 20 years ago. Rules must have changed.

When did the 12 game season start- 2005 or so? I know the rule has been in effect since then.

I just realized I'm running in a Tough Mudder the day of the Spring Game... I haven't missed a Spring Game since P was here, I'm devastated right now... Is there ever video or tv done by SU for the Spring Game?

OrangePA said:
I think a legitimate spring game - game - with two teams and two staffs - is a good thing. I think it gives the coaches another way of measuring the development of the players - a game situation speeds up play and forces players to react to situations just that much faster. I think the game last year foreshadowed the development of T. Hunt. So, I'm for it.

Agree and I would add that I think coaches need to get over their paranoia (everyone is watching us they'll see what we do!) and make this the fully useful exercise that it can be.

I just realized I'm running in a Tough Mudder the day of the Spring Game... I haven't missed a Spring Game since P was here, I'm devastated right now... Is there ever video or tv done by SU for the Spring Game?
You may already know this, but Tough Mudder honors your entry fee at any race if you need switch events because of a conflict.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom