Do you think Hoops or Football is better Positioned .. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Hoops or Football is better Positioned ..

Basketball is better now, in the future and forever. This is our worst year since Ronald Reagan was president and we're STILL a 500 club who can play anyone at any time. Football today and tomorrow will not compete against Alabama 9 times out of 10.

SU Basketball is a blue chip operation. A top 10 machine. Boeheim created it and the hope is the next guy will get it cranked up again. There's nothing like SU Basketball at the Dome with 30k fans. We have what no one else has when that is going on
Tough argument to make that we're a top 10 machine when we haven't spent even 1 week in the top 10 since our 1st year in the ACC which is now 8 years ago. Was also the last full season we didn't drop at least 13 games. Those numbers blow my mind. I've lived in 5 different states since that point.

Depends on how you define success.

Is football better positioned to get 7 wins before basketball will get 28? Probably.

But 7 wins in football is average. 28 wins in basketball is special.

As others have pointed out, basketball at Syracuse can be turned from mediocre to special much quicker than football. Football's ceiling is probably what happened in 2018. 10 wins, 2nd tier bowl game. And that ceiling will only be reached every 5-6 years or so when the stars align.

Basketball for sure. It only takes 1 or 2 players to turn it around. You need way more than that in football. Get a new basketball coach in here, ditch the zone as the only defense, recruiting will improve and we'll be back in the Top 25 in no time.

Depends on how you define success.

Is football better positioned to get 7 wins before basketball will get 28? Probably.

But 7 wins in football is average. 28 wins in basketball is special.

As others have pointed out, basketball at Syracuse can be turned from mediocre to special much quicker than football. Football's ceiling is probably what happened in 2018. 10 wins, 2nd tier bowl game. And that ceiling will only be reached every 5-6 years or so when the stars align.
The only reason we got the Camping World Bowl was because the Orange Bowl hosted one of the Final Four games or the Championship game, I can't remember the exact reason (somebody on the board help me). If it was out of the rotation that year we would have been in the Orange Bowl in 18. Our timing was just bad that year or we would have been Tier 1.

I will take cross country for $200
It's actually hard to turn around cross country. You're only as good as your fifth best runner. The top 5 score points in XC. If your fifth guy is real low or last you get hit with a lot of points. The lowest score in XC wins. Your 5th guy has to be good.

Football I am optimistic about I think we can compete with Wake and Boston College at any minute. We have had the worst WRs in the P5 the last 3 years yet have had some of the best DBs in that same timespan.

Very happy with the changes the AD made because we need to save the money for basketball.

Hoops is another story and I think things can get a lot worse before they get better. We haven't even seen the 'bad' with this years team they have been in every game. No bad offseasons last year we made the Sweet 16. I'd love to clinch a winning season before the second Miami game and give the Boeheims a send off and hire the best coach on the market for 5-6mil per. I think if we don't do that the program will end up in the gutter and you can't have the biggest stadium in the country and one of the worst teams. We can absolutely turn into BC or Pitt if JB is around after his kids leave or places a current assistant into that job.

Tough argument to make that we're a top 10 machine when we haven't spent even 1 week in the top 10 since our 1st year in the ACC which is now 8 years ago. Was also the last full season we didn't drop at least 13 games. Those numbers blow my mind. I've lived in 5 different states since that point.

Top 10? We can’t play with “anyone at any time”, what are you watching?
Not to speak for elimunelson , but we are absolutely top 10 in terms of popularity, brand, and fan support. He may have meant that.

The only reason we got the Camping World Bowl was because the Orange Bowl hosted one of the Final Four games or the Championship game, I can't remember the exact reason (somebody on the board help me). If it was out of the rotation that year we would have been in the Orange Bowl in 18. Our timing was just bad that year or we would have been Tier 1.

And I think Clemson was in the playoffs.

But we're still talking about a season where we didn't make the ACC championship game (and yes, I know blow a play dead at Pitt, and an OL having toes too big on that 4th down conversion at Clemson). But do you think we'll ever be that close again?

Basketball. Always basketball.

We are a top 10 brand nationally in hoops. We have a massive fanbase and tremendous facilities. We are located in a recruiting hot bed.

And in hoops, all it takes is one recruiting/transfer class to turn things around.

We literally could be in the Final Four next season if things broke the right way.

Meanwhile, we'd need an actual miracle to win the ACC in football, let alone make the playoffs.
Exactly how I feel. There's just a ceiling for us in football (and IMHO it just gets worse with NIL regardless of how you feel about it) that I don't think there is in basketball. That's assuming we make good choices on the things that are within our control in basketball(for example JB's successor)

It's actually hard to turn around cross country. You're only as good as your fifth best runner. The top 5 score points in XC. If your fifth guy is real low or last you get hit with a lot of points. The lowest score in XC wins. Your 5th guy has to be good.
Agreed, but they do not have to "turn around" cross country. Men were in the top 20 this year, 2nd in the ACC and have won 4 of the last 6 ACC titles. Women were in the top 30 this year at the NCAA championship race, I believe w/o their top runner. And recruiting continues to be excellent for both.

We're a basketball school and I don't see that ever changing. That's OK.

However the next MBB HC hire is very important. Not only who... but when. I trust JW will be able to open the purse strings (as he's shown lately) and get a top 25 name.

Assume FB hit a home run with the OC/QB Coach and sets us up for bowl success in the next 5 years. It's important to match that with top 25 basketball & tournament runs.

Agreed, but they do not have to "turn around" cross country. Men were in the top 20 this year, 2nd in the ACC and have won 4 of the last 6 ACC titles. Women were in the top 30 this year at the NCAA championship race, I believe w/o their top runner. And recruiting continues to be excellent for both.
I was just generally speaking about how hard it is to turn around a XC program. I wasn't speaking specifically about SYR, I know we are good.

CUSE has the coaching staff...does it have the players/talent?

WARNING WILL SMITH>>>TAKE THIS TO THE LAX BOARD!!
We’ll see how different it is with this staff. I have high hopes but will not put them too high.
Hoping to see a D change and Faceoffs to be better. O will be interesting.

Hoops. The Dome is a huge plus in hoops, no better than a neutral factor in football. We are in a talent-rich area for hoops and a terrible area for football. Melo Center.

Exactly how I feel. There's just a ceiling for us in football (and IMHO it just gets worse with NIL regardless of how you feel about it) that I don't think there is in basketball. That's assuming we make good choices on the things that are within our control in basketball(for example JB's successor)
Last night, for the sake of sanity, I flipped between our game and "He Got Game" on HBO. The role of money as an influencer is just plain depressing. And now it's legal! We can get blown out of the water in either sport if the bottom line is going to be buying a roster. :(

Hoops. The Dome is a huge plus in hoops, no better than a neutral factor in football. We are in a talent-rich area for hoops and a terrible area for football. Melo Center.
Neutral? With not many fans in the new dome this year it was rocking. Agree with the rest.

Neutral? With not many fans in the new dome this year it was rocking. Agree with the rest.
I don’t mean neutral in the sense of a home field advantage. I mean in recruiting. Football players don’t grow up dying to play in the Dome.

Remember when the two used to go hand-in-hand? Football recruits used to be treated to the excitement that was Big East hoops in the Carrier Dome. I think it sold more than a few recruits on the Orange.

At least, I think I remember that...

IMO we could be a top level team on both sports with proper support and coaching. Basketball has traditionally the top dog here and even with lesser recruiting and questionable coaching of late.
With good coaching it won’t take long to turn around our program; everything else is in place, including the top basket ball venue in college hoops!
With our recent coaching hires and solid defense; it’s currently football!
Seems like you are putting a lot of faith in coaches we really have a chance to evaluate yet.

Basketball is better now, in the future and forever. This is our worst year since Ronald Reagan was president and we're STILL a 500 club who can play anyone at any time. Football today and tomorrow will not compete against Alabama 9 times out of 10.

SU Basketball is a blue chip operation. A top 10 machine. Boeheim created it and the hope is the next guy will get it cranked up again. There's nothing like SU Basketball at the Dome with 30k fans. We have what no one else has when that is going on
This is our worst year since Reagan was Governor.

As soon as we get a new coach hoops.
We should always be top 30 always be an 8 seed or higher, always have a top 20 recruiting class, and always be top 2 in attendance.
SU is at its lowest point since the sanctions. Possibly lowest since JB took over the program.
This is beyond bad. Actually disgusting but the program will rebound.

Basketball. Always basketball.

We are a top 10 brand nationally in hoops. We have a massive fanbase and tremendous facilities. We are located in a recruiting hot bed.

And in hoops, all it takes is one recruiting/transfer class to turn things around.

We literally could be in the Final Four next season if things broke the right way.

Meanwhile, we'd need an actual miracle to win the ACC in football, let alone make the playoffs.
My concern is that when Coach does retire we go through a down period similar to North Carolina or what UCONN is just climbing out of.