Doc Gross leading the charge for ACC division realignment? | Syracusefan.com

Doc Gross leading the charge for ACC division realignment?

So Gary Fineout is an AP reporter, and here his ACC-related tweets from earlier. Gross is a short man with a big voice.

Gary Fineout‏@fineout1h
Internal emails show Atlantic Coast Conf. athletic directors plan to discuss changing football schedules & potentially amend ACC divisions

Gary Fineout‏@fineout1h
Syracuse AD emailed ACC directors in Nov. lamenting current structure and said it minimized chance for teams to play in major media markets

Gary Fineout‏@fineout59m
NC State AD told other ACC athletic directors they would have a "full vetting" of restructuring in January

Gary Fineout‏@fineout56m
End of FSU-Miami every year? Syracuse AD notes there are "obvious playing partners" but said it better for ACC to eliminate them

Gary Fineout‏@fineout50m
NC State AD Yow called for a discussion bc "I doubt we could come to any conclusions earlier by phone, given the significance" of item

Often read that Syracuse was a leader in the Big East. It is nice to see Gross and SU not being afraid to speak up in the ACC, even though I don't agree at all with what his reported position is on rivalry games at the end of the year.

Not surprised SU would rather not have playing parters. I don't think many here would care very much if we lost the annual Pitt game if it meant more trips to Chapel Hill, Durham, Atlanta, and Charlottesville.

Cant wait for the Tech dome gameee...

...in 2016.

I still like North (old BE w/ Miami) and South (old ACC minus virginia)

Syracuse
BC
PITT
UofL
UVA
VT
MIAMI

DUKE
UNC
WF
NC ST.
CLEMSON
GT
FSU

Syracuse
BC
PITT
UofL
UVA
VT
MIAMI

DUKE
UNC
WF
NC ST.
CLEMSON
GT
FSU

Just imagine if some forward-thinking person had been 15 years ahead of this and proposed the following:

Syracuse
BC
PITT
Maryland
VT
MIAMI
Louisville
Notre Dame (Okay, probably not ND. But even put Buttgers here, and we would have been set with 16.)

DUKE
UNC
WF
NC ST.
CLEMSON
GT
FSU
UVA

Hmmm...looks pretty much like what Jake Crouthamel was working towards, WAY back when...

Syracuse
BC
PITT
UofL
UVA
VT
MIAMI

DUKE
UNC
WF
NC ST.
CLEMSON
GT
FSU

No one will approve this. The North teams like the southern exposure. No one wants to play in the OLD BE, had they wanted too, they wouldnt have left.

Honestly, the ACC needs to get forward thinking here with a variation of the pod system that has been floated around here numerous times.

Syracuse
BC
PITT
UofL
UVA
VT
MIAMI

DUKE
UNC
WF
NC ST.
CLEMSON
GT
FSU
I'd swap UVA, UofL with GTech, FSU and call it good to go.

Personally, I would be happy with switching our spot for Pitts. No matter what they decide some group will be unhappy.

JJReddawg said:
9 game conference schedule.

Either that or scrap the permanent crossover.

I think short of the regular season expanding to 13 games it's going to be tough to move to a 9 game conference schedule, given the annual OOC series the football-centric schools play.

I think the solution needs to be putting conference rivals in the same division and having those 2 cross-division games be fluid. Yes that means FSU and Miami in the same division but the league may just need to get over that.

For all the concern about splitting Miami and FSU, they still haven't played each other in the ACC title game, right?

Full_Rebar said:
For all the concern about splitting Miami and FSU, they still haven't played each other in the ACC title game, right?

Nope.

People now say the other schools want them split up so they have an annual Florida opponent.

Either that or scrap the permanent crossover.

I think short of the regular season expanding to 13 games it's going to be tough to move to a 9 game conference schedule, given the annual OOC series the football-centric schools play.

I think the solution needs to be putting conference rivals in the same division and having those 2 cross-division games be fluid. Yes that means FSU and Miami in the same division but the league may just need to get over that.

It's what the Big Ten did with Michigan and Ohio State.

Yes that means FSU and Miami in the same division but the league may just need to get over that.

Problem is that if it's something that needs a majority of votes, who's going to vote for this? They'd have to have a good solution on getting everyone potential Florida trips every 3 years at a minimum I would think. Every single school in the league wants to recruit there, and one of the best ways to do that is to play there.

I know it's not an exact science either. Like if we recruit a kid from Miami, do we tell him he's going to play in Tallahassee every 2 years as part of the pitch? May work because of the FSU name, but it's not like you can say "see your family can see you!" They'll just be a short 500 MILES away.

Will be interesting to see what they do. There are certainly some interesting obstacles, the kind that could divide the votes for any scenario by as much as 50/50.

I'd be all for eliminating the permanent crossover AND giving teams 9 conference games in non-ND years. Count the ND game in the standings.

Playing in Tallahassee and Clemson every other year is better than playing in a major media market when it comes to college football.
With the growing number of trustees in the area (I believe we're up to 5), the University wants the additional exposure associated with frequent games in Atlanta.

With the growing number of trustees in the area (I believe we're up to 5), the University wants the additional exposure associated with frequent games in Atlanta.

And don't think for a second that Gross isn't eyeing those trips to South Beach.

(nor do I blame him).

raf4488 said:
Not surprised SU would rather not have playing parters. I don't think many here would care very much if we lost the annual Pitt game if it meant more trips to Chapel Hill, Durham, Atlanta, and Charlottesville.

Durham? I wouldn't care if we ever played Duke. They're stadium and gameday atmosphere is pathetic, and they have no football history.

I've been to North Carolina for football. It's okay. Little to no tailgating. Wasn't impressed.

I don't think the Pitt experience is all that great, but I wouldn't give up Pitt, a traditional rival, for any of those trips.

I would like to see SU have more games with Miami, Va Tech and Ga Tech.

All4SU said:
Just imagine if some forward-thinking person had been 15 years ahead of this and proposed the following: Syracuse BC PITT Maryland VT MIAMI Louisville Notre Dame (Okay, probably not ND. But even put Buttgers here, and we would have been set with 16.) DUKE UNC WF NC ST. CLEMSON GT FSU UVA Hmmm...looks pretty much like what Jake Crouthamel was working towards, WAY back when...

I did think of this about 15 years ago. I envisioned an all Eastern seaboard conference, but, of course, I'm not a league commissioner.

Would have been nice.

My vote would be to sit quietly at the big table while the adults talk, at least for a few years.