Does anyone else feel this way about a news provider? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone else feel this way about a news provider?

crzdsufan

Walk On
I have responded to a local "news agency" about the prolonged negative spins they seemingly take on so many of thier articles. It frustrates me becasue I am always looking for information, stories, news on SU sports and I feel what should be the most supportive agency available to the mass public is just the opposite. My post as listed:
Chris congrates! You and your negative spin on everything will make Bud P very proud. I decided last November never to read a Bud article because of his tireless negative spin on things. Now you get to be included in this.
Just to give you a couple examples; "Ryan Nassib will be third Syracuse football player ever drafted as a QB: Impressive or embarrassing?" or this article "Doug Marrone, Buffalo Bills could be 'stuck' picking Ryan Nassib at No. 8 in 2013 NFL Draft"
Amazing how you, Bud or seemingly anyone from this staff can take positives and make them into negatives. I guess I am "STUCK" in going to the pay sites for real news, constructive news. By the way, I am NOT EMBARRASED to have to do this. Enjoy your "REPORTING"
Maybe I'm stepping over the line but this frustrates me to no end. Just wondering does anyone else feel this way?

I agree. I hated that article too. Can't it just be a good thing that we have a QB that will go high in the draft? Why do we need to have a conversation that it's somehow "embarrassing"? It's F*ing great! Leave it at that!

I haven't read an article by Bud in years. On TOS I once mentioned how I can't stand him and am surprised he's been employed by the PS as long as he has. My comments met up with a couple people touting Bud and saying that he was an award winning journalist. Watch any awards show and you'll see that not all awards go to those with talent.

I haven't read an article by Bud in years. On TOS I once mentioned how I can't stand him and am surprised he's been employed by the PS as long as he has. My comments met up with a couple people touting Bud and saying that he was an award winning journalist. Watch any awards show and you'll see that not all awards go to those with talent.
I don't hate Bud as I think he is an ok writer (just my opinion). I just hate their need to create controversy where there is none just to get people interested in a story. Just write a good story people like instead of creating these angles that are so out there!

It seems as those "local journalist awards" are nothing more than a good 'ole boy network that hands awards back and forth to each other.
Our local paper seems to be leaning towards shock value rather than plain facts.
I completely agree that the paper spins things negatively, it was just a few reporters at one time but has now manifested.
I stopped reading anything written by Bud about a year ago also, just not worth the time.

Aside from the few (waters, ditota etc) the reporters are just cut and paste artists. It amazes me that we have such a great journalism school within the city limits, yet we have such a poorly run newspaper. Sad really.

It's the way of the world nowadays. News can't just be news anymore. It somehow has to be sensational.

It's not the mainstream media's responsibility to serve as a shill for a local sports team. The PS gives lots of credit where credit is due, but its writers have every right to look negatively upon the school.

You want constant promotion and looks at the team with an uncritical eye? Subscribe to one of the TOSs.

A proper media outlet shouldn't be on anyone's side.

Saying "Everybody wants to be negative all of the time" is ignoring all of the reporting that the beat writers did during spring practice without intentionally casting doubt on the current roster or the upcoming season.

Also, Bud is hardly a reporter. He goes to press conferences and such, but most of his stuff is commentary and therefore his own opinion. It is not intended to be, and should not be considered, news.

It's not the mainstream media's responsibility to serve as a shill for a local sports team. The PS gives lots of credit where credit is due, but its writers have every right to look negatively upon the school.

You want constant promotion and looks at the team with an uncritical eye? Subscribe to one of the TOSs.

A proper media outlet shouldn't be on anyone's side.

Saying "Everybody wants to be negative all of the time" is ignoring all of the reporting that the beat writers did during spring practice without intentionally casting doubt on the current roster or the upcoming season.

Also, Bud is hardly a reporter. He goes to press conferences and such, but most of his stuff is commentary and therefore his own opinion. It is not intended to be, and should not be considered, news.
These types of articles are about sensationalism... getting people to read them for the wrong reasons. They can certainly write them...and people can like them or call them shi* if they want.

Is it their responsibility to go out of their way to be negative? crzdsufan wasn't asking for promotion but asking why a local sports reporter would choose to take a negative angle. It's a valid critique.

I think I found the article in mention.

I don't see what all the anger is about.

Bud's just saying what everybody here has been saying. "I'm not sure Ryan Nassib got good enough for this to happen."

He's high in praise for Nassib as a college QB. But he's saying it's a crap shoot. Which it is.

What's he supposed to do? Predict Nassib will win MVP this fall?

Bud's just saying what everybody here has been saying. "I'm not sure Ryan Nassib got good enough for this to happen."

He's high in praise for Nassib as a college QB. But he's saying it's a crap shoot. Which it is.

i didnt read the article, but i would think the local paper would show a little homerism. i wouldnt fault them for it either. save the hardnosed reporting for towns where he could end up.

nassib's 'new' problem is he is being robbed of the ability to have the career of dan orlovsky and being championed for the longetivity of it...to one of high expetations and being compared to having the career of Eli or hell, wasnt ben picked 8 or 9?

and thats a shame.

The articles he's referencing weren't written by Bud. His letter in response was written to Chris Carlson who is one of the newer writers. One headline is "Doug Marrone, Buffalo Bills could be stuck picking Ryan Nassib at no. 8 in 2013 NFL Draft". The other is "Ryan Nassib will be the third Syracuse football player ever drafted as a QB: Impressive or Embarrassing?"

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/doug_marrone_buffalo_bills_pic.html

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/ryan_nassib_third_syracuse_foo.html

Both headlines are unnecessary jabs at the program. The "stuck" article isn't as bad as the headline makes it sound, and is kind of a quote from a draft analyst. The "Impressive or Embarrassing" article is nothing more than asking a question noone cared about. The same thing could have been said as an aside in another article. "Interestingly, Nassib is only the third player in Syracuse history to drafted as a quarterback, fewest of any college football program in the top 15 in wins." That would have been informative without taking a shot at the home town team.

I'm sure there are some people who enjoy reading Bud, just like there are some people who enjoy listening to Tim McCarver.

I'm sure there are some people who enjoy reading Bud, just like there are some people who enjoy listening to Tim McCarver.

The one guy that does happens to be the editor.

It's like this. Sometimes I like what he writes and sometimes I don't. I think he has talent but at times he tried too hard to make something out of nothing (he's not alone).

It is amazing, that the PS made the decision to have a bunch of clowns covering football, when Rahme and Webb were available. Clearly a conscious shift into the sensationalist media MO dominating everywhere else.

Right ...that and not enough cowbell from Rahme.
It's funny that a newpaper trying to save money now has three people doing the job that two used to do... at an inferior level.

I think it's obvious that news outlets slant the headlines to suit their readership and sell readership. It's pretty blatant and barely a step ahead of the journalistic standards of the NY Post and National Enquirer IMO.

Take today's financial headlines for example. One major news outlet has the headline:
"Economic growth takes big jump"

while another reports the same story as:
"US economy grows less than expected in first quarter"

You can pretty much guess which outlet produced which headline. The exact same news story leaves their readership with a completely opposite take-away message.

I think it's obvious that news outlets slant the headlines to suit their readership and sell readership. It's pretty blatant and barely a step ahead of the journalistic standards of the NY Post and National Enquirer IMO.

Take today's financial headlines for example. One major news outlet has the headline:

You can pretty much guess which outlet produced which headline. The exact same news story leaves their readership with a completely opposite take-away message.
Market's mixed/flat today...so as usual, maybe the truth lies in the middle.

Apparently the PS football writers slant their headlines to alienate and anger their readership.

Not to defend this new batch of "writers", but do they come up with their own headlines or do the editors create them?