Does anyone not believe this is a different team? | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone not believe this is a different team?

HtownOrange

Living Legend
Seriously, does anyone not believe e that these kids will be much better next year?

I know I tend towards optimism. I even stayed off the board ... mostly ... the last few weeks because I was disappointed with the results. I never lost faith in HCDB or the kids, just disappointed because the record is not close to the results the kids could have had with just a couple breaks.

Next year, these same kids will have much more experience, bigger, mor physical bodies, better understanding of the system, returning injured players, and another class of HCDB recruits. I know the Orange have a tough schedule but they are a different team. Next season, the QB situation will be better with better and experienced reserves. (Mahoney had a great game today)

This is little consolation right now but this team is fun again! Go Orange!

Defense is horrible. Offense losing Etta no possible starting a red shirt freshman QB. Nothing will change

One half different team the other half is worst d team in a long time
Respectfully, I disagree. Many young players and the experienced players were in a new system. All return with familiarity, conditioning and depth, the defense will be better.

Also, this Offense puts pressure on the defense because it scores often and fast. This was addressed by HCDB and was well known when making the Offense system changes.

HCDB knows the defense is under greater pressure with his Offense and is recruiting to alleviate some pressure.

It's different (in a good way)...with that said Dino isn't going to get a bunch of games like these. Losing this way to Clemson or FSU, ok, not shocked by it because they have NFL talent and we really don't. Can't have multiple losses like this in his career to schools like Pitt. I'm sorry he can't.

And Dino put a clock on himself. He said between games 4-6 next year is when things start to click. Well, he put that clock/deadline on himself so he better meet it and live up to it.

It's year 1, he was getting a pass because Shafer left him an utter disaster. Year 2 the schedule is killer, again not his fault but it's a joke how tough the schedule is next year. To me come Year 3 if this is still taking place then his "free pass" goes out the window and he gets judged/graded like every other coaches does and no more sugar coating it. In year 3 he is coaching for his job and future here in my opinion. He get's a 2 year free pass because of the "situation" he walked into. At some point that goes out the window and it's show me the results. For him it's in year 3. Win or else!

I love this teams potential and I am very optimistic about next year. Defense needs a lot of work but they will get there with stronger, healthier and more experienced players currently on roster. We need defensive ends in upcoming recruiting class.

It's different (in a good way)...with that said Dino isn't going to get a bunch of games like these. Losing this way to Clemson or FSU, ok, not shocked by it because they have NFL talent and we really don't. Can't have multiple losses like this in his career to schools like Pitt. I'm sorry he can't.

And Dino put a clock on himself. He said between games 4-6 next year is when things start to click. Well, he put that clock/deadline on himself so he better meet it and live up to it.

It's year 1, he was getting a pass because Shafer left him an utter disaster. Year 2 the schedule is killer, again not his fault but it's a joke how tough the schedule is next year. To me come Year 3 if this is still taking place then his "free pass" goes out the window and he gets judged/graded like every other coaches does and no more sugar coating it. In year 3 he is coaching for his job and future here in my opinion. He get's a 2 year free pass because of the "situation" he walked into. At some point that goes out the window and it's show me the results. For him it's in year 3. Win or else!

I agree HCDB placed a clock on himself. However, he will get more time as long as there is improvement. This team has improved. They will go bowling next season. The team will be much deeper and more athletic. No, Attached will not dominate FSU and Clemson, but they will compete better across the board.

Anyway, I respect your take on the situation. I think we both agree that we want HCDB to prove us both wrong and beat the crap out of opponents negating this debate. The we fight over how much we win by.

2018 will be his true evaluation year.

I bet we get to a bowl game next year (probably by the skin of our teeth) and then in 2018, we make a leap.

A lot will ride on ED's health, as well.

I have faith in Dino. I think he's the right guy. I get why people are frustrated, but there is still a lot of work to do.

you're talking like Pitt is BC or Wake Forest. This isn't previous versions of Pitt there were about defense and grinding it out. This year's Pitt teams has put lots of points on everyone. Pitt hung 43 points on Clemson AT Clemson. Pitt put up 56 last week against Duke. They've put up 40+ points 6 times this year, including against Penn St.

This defense is not good. There is no way to sugar coat that. However, this defense was abnormally young and lacking in depth in many key areas. Beyond that, people need to recalibrate their expectations at what successful defense will look like at Syracuse. So long as Dino is here, we will play offense at a breakneck pace. Doing so means more plays and opportunities for us, but it also means more possessions for the other teams and opportunities to score. People are going to need to get used to giving up 30+ points regularly, as that will be part of the equations when we do, eventually, find success under Dino (which I firmly believe we will).

Yes, its a different team, same result:4-8. yes, i love the offense and dino. its gonna work . the t2 will not. hey fellas , its ok to question ward and the defense . it isnt a knock on dino and doesn't mean he will leave he rode this scheme on the basketball score like mac, but cant do it it p5. he will see that and hopefully adjust.

you're talking like Pitt is BC or Wake Forest. This isn't previous versions of Pitt there were about defense and grinding it out. This year's Pitt teams has put lots of points on everyone. Pitt hung 43 points on Clemson AT Clemson. Pitt put up 56 last week against Duke. They've put up 40+ points 6 times this year, including against Penn St.

This defense is not good. There is no way to sugar coat that. However, this defense was abnormally young and lacking in depth in many key areas. Beyond that, people need to recalibrate their expectations at what successful defense will look like at Syracuse. So long as Dino is here, we will play offense at a breakneck pace. Doing so means more plays and opportunities for us, but it also means more possessions for the other teams and opportunities to score. People are going to need to get used to giving up 30+ points regularly, as that will be part of the equations when we do, eventually, find success under Dino (which I firmly believe we will).

Got not problem giving up 30+, it's the 60+ I have the issue with

I can't decide what is more shocking - giving up 76 or scoring 61 with Zack freaking Mahoney at QB. I honestly think the latter qualifies as a miracle and may make Dino eligible for sainthood.

Got not problem giving up 30+, it's the 60+ I have the issue with

over 12 games we surrendered just under 39 points per. and that's not good.

All season we were waiting for the points to catch up with yards. Next season (or two) we wait for the defense to mature. Couple of stops in this game and we win.
my major concern before the season was the defense, and it has played out. he needs to recruit the beef for both ol and dl, otherwise nothing works

I can't decide what is more shocking - giving up 76 or scoring 61 with Zack freaking Mahoney at QB. I honestly think the latter qualifies as a miracle and may make Dino eligible for sainthood.
Pick 6 for 7 of those points.

This team can go either way next year. If ED is done, we are left with Mahoney. Pitt's defense sucks and is no measure of anything so let's not forget how bad he was against good defenses. We might very well have a true or redshirt freshmen starting. On the other hand, maybe one of them is a Dungey. Whatever the case he will not have AET to throw to and that is a problem.

The O Line is the major question. If they get bigger and stronger and can hold their blocks just a bit more we could have a running game. The jury is out till next fall.

While the defense may be more experienced next year and therefore schematically better, nobody is getting any taller or faster so, the defense is still likely to be a problem. We gave up 39 points per game. Let me repeat that - we gave up 39 points per game! And we gave up more points than any game in program history in the last game of the season after having the benefit of 11 games of experience. The problems on D run broad and deep and improvement may come grudgingly.

A couple of important take aways are the impact a couple of skill players can make (ED and AET), and how bare the defensive fingers was. If both the aforementioned are gone, we could take a big step backwards on offense. Absent some great recruits or JUCO, it would seem we need a couple more years to fix the D.

I think we face an uphill battle with many ups and downs. I just want to see progress next year. Anything more is frosting in the cake.

I tend to think we'll look at a transfer at QB if Dungey is done.

Maybe another transfer at receiver.

TOTally agree which brings us back to the scheduling conundrum.

BC just won 6 games and has momentum and they stink. Their qb is a statue and is still upright. They scheduled UCONN as their marquee OOC game. We put up 60 and are done and face a tough LSU next year. We just don't help ourselves.

Yes, its a different team, same result:4-8. yes, i love the offense and dino. its gonna work . the t2 will not. hey fellas , its ok to question ward and the defense . it isnt a knock on dino and doesn't mean he will leave he rode this scheme on the basketball score like mac, but cant do it it p5. he will see that and hopefully adjust.

Biggest thing is giving him the time to figure it out.

And I would say that about any coach.

I think Dino is the right guy, just hope the whole program continues to improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom