Does Dome Attendance Improve after the 2-1 Road Trip? | Syracusefan.com

Does Dome Attendance Improve after the 2-1 Road Trip?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
There was much discussion before we hit the road about how "bad" Dome attendance has been this year with the team struggling overall.

With a successful road trip, and the possibility to turn our season around with a strong home stand, do people expect to see better attendance at the Dome the next few games?

I would Imagine we should get a big crowd Saturday if we can knock Notre Dame off Thursday.

Last edited:
If we had beaten Virginia, then we definitely would imho. Still think we might need to beat Notre Dame before people really get excited.

I was reading an article on ESPN, and they said that overall college basketball attendance has been trending downward for the last 8 years. Too much player turnover is the reason, IMO, harming people's "connection" with their team. So the sky isn't falling if our attendance doesn't pick up with this flawed team. It's happening to everyone.

There was much discussion before we hit the road about how "bad" Dome attendance has been this year with the team struggling overall.

With a successful road trip, and the possibility to turn our season around with a strong home stand, do people expect to see better attendance at the Dome the next few games?

I would Imagine we should get a big crowd Saturday if we can knock Notre Dame off Thursday.

I just tried to make an impromptu trip to Syracuse on Saturday but my boys have 3 basketball games. My wife said no. I think marriage is a Democracy of two but her vote counts more. I tried.

Very little chance. Even if we were a one- or two-loss team, Georgia Tech at noon isn't drawing too many people beyond diehards. Notre Dame drew very poorly on two recent Big Mondays in the Dome. We'll see if students are excited to see the team for the first time this semester, but I'd guess not (and it'll be a good indicator of turnout for the rest of the year).

Low season ticket sales, limited national relevance, and unattractive home opponents aren't likely to produce big crowds in the home stretch. I'll just be satisfied with good basketball and a few wins.

Very little chance. Even if we were a one- or two-loss team, Georgia Tech at noon isn't drawing too many people beyond diehards. Notre Dame drew very poorly on two recent Big Mondays in the Dome. We'll see if students are excited to see the team for the first time this semester, but I'd guess not (and it'll be a good indicator of turnout for the rest of the year).

Low season ticket sales, limited national relevance, and unattractive home opponents aren't likely to produce big crowds in the home stretch. I'll just be satisfied with good basketball and a few wins.

I do have 4 or 5 guys coming in from Boston that were up on the hill the same time I was, but thats probably the exception and not the norm.

I was reading an article on ESPN, and they said that overall college basketball attendance has been trending downward for the last 8 years. Too much player turnover is the reason, IMO, harming people's "connection" with their team. So the sky isn't falling if our attendance doesn't pick up with this flawed team. It's happening to everyone.

The same thing is happening in College Football. Maybe it's a good time for College Admins to stop raising prices.

Too much player turnover is the reason, IMO, harming people's "connection" with their team
There may be something to that idea, but it shouldn't be the case with this Syracuse team. Only three (Richardson, Lydon, and Howard) of the team's seven significant contributors have not been here for at least three years.

There may be something to that idea, but it shouldn't be the case with this Syracuse team. Only three (Richardson, Lydon, and Howard) of the team's seven significant contributors have not been here for at least three years.

It affects the overall product, because the elite teams have the most turnover. Like a friend of mine who grew up in Kentucky, after that great team they had with the UniBrow, the turnover has been too high for her, and she has started watching more of her guy's football team. Fewer football kids leave early, relatively speaking. You get to see a whole roster mature, for the most part.

Well, I think fans get discouraged a bit when kids leave too early, to our perception, before they are truly "stars" and fully developed as a player. That's what sucks. You look at a player like Jerami Grant, and that kid would have been a 1st team All-ACC and a much higher pick if he came back. And McCullough, wow, what was he thinking? He could have been top 5. Was he too much of a wimp and didn't like being yelled at by JB? So that kind of thing sucks. With somebody like Dion, or Jonny Flynn, or Wes Johnson, yes, you understand why a kid goes, no hard feelings.

But fans get discouraged when they see a kid leave who does not have much shot of making a roster, or certainly being a contributor at the next level when they have that potential, and it just sucks. That hurts attendance. We are missing a couple players who would have made us more competitive with elite teams, like we have gotten used to this past 7 years or so.

the only game left on the home schedule with the necessary juice to entice enough of the casual crowd to get close to 30K is the Saturday game vs. Pitt on 2/20.

I don't know about other sports, but I think it has more to do with the fact I can sit on a couch with a 55" TV, a kitchen, and a fridge.

Well, I think fans get discouraged a bit when kids leave too early, to our perception, before they are truly "stars" and fully developed as a player. That's what sucks. You look at a player like Jerami Grant, and that kid would have been a 1st team All-ACC and a much higher pick if he came back. And McCullough, wow, what was he thinking? He could have been top 5. Was he too much of a wimp and didn't like being yelled at by JB? So that kind of thing sucks. With somebody like Dion, or Jonny Flynn, or Wes Johnson, yes, you understand why a kid goes, no hard feelings.

But fans get discouraged when they see a kid leave who does not have much shot of making a roster, or certainly being a contributor at the next level when they have that potential, and it just sucks. That hurts attendance. We are missing a couple players who would have made us more competitive with elite teams, like we have gotten used to this past 7 years or so.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

I do have 4 or 5 guys coming in from Boston that were up on the hill the same time I was, but thats probably the exception and not the norm.

The same thing is happening in College Football. Maybe it's a good time for College Admins to stop raising prices.

Can you buy tickets the day of the game at the box office? I've always purchased through stubhub.

Well, I think fans get discouraged a bit when kids leave too early, to our perception, before they are truly "stars" and fully developed as a player. That's what sucks. You look at a player like Jerami Grant, and that kid would have been a 1st team All-ACC and a much higher pick if he came back. And McCullough, wow, what was he thinking? He could have been top 5. Was he too much of a wimp and didn't like being yelled at by JB? So that kind of thing sucks. With somebody like Dion, or Jonny Flynn, or Wes Johnson, yes, you understand why a kid goes.
McCullough realized his goal of making it to the NBA and got guaranteed money as a first rounder. Had he returned here and played after rehabbing, he would have been rolling the dice on his draft position based on his on court performance, and been another serious injury away from irrelevance in the eyes of the NBA. Now, he's being paid, and he's in a situation where when he does return, he can quickly gain playing time for a rebuilding team that saw value in him. I believe he absolutely made the right decision, and will go on to have a productive NBA career.

well i'll just say this from my own personal experience.the people i know who used to attend games or watch them religiously on tv don't really care that much about su sports these days . and furthermore most of these ex fans couldn't even name the current SU players who were on the court. just saying'.

(edit i should note that this christmas party i met these friends at took place the same sat. as the UNC game.)

Last edited:

MCW was a lottery pick and left early yet we drew a college basketball record crowd the year after. Players have been leaving early for the past decade or more and it never touched our attendance, the only thing that has touched it was poor basketball and poor play. I don't think the fans care who's playing as long as we're winning.

I find it extremely distasteful that you're questioning a 20 year olds manhood and calling him a wimp who doesn't like being yelled at. You don't know anything except what is in your old and clouded mind, you don't know his relationship with JB, you don't know his personal financial struggles, you don't know what advice he received about his draft stock. He was a first round pick and received guaranteed money, who are you to call him names? Pathetic...

Still think Saturday will be a small crowd, but the students exceeded my expectations tonight. Guess they missed their basketball during break - big turnout.

OttoMets said:
Still think Saturday will be a small crowd, but the students exceeded my expectations tonight. Guess they missed their basketball during break - big turnout.

Students were great tonight. Almost filled their 6 sections.

Maybe the dress like JB contest was incentive to show up!

Talk about how to do a promotion properly! That was an excellent improvement. Maybe we'll see something similar when they honor Final Four teams?

Students were great tonight. Almost filled their 6 sections.
The students and the band make a huge difference. I was hoping there would have been more than 22+ last night. It was a nice night, team has been playing well, top 25 name school in town. Hopefully people will jump on the bandwagon for these Saturday games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom