Donnie Freeman McD AA Game Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Donnie Freeman McD AA Game Thread

When I first saw Donnie standing on the defensive end waiting for the East to bring the ball over half court, his stance and mannerism reminded me of DC when he was a young pup. He has the same lanky frame as DC when he was a HS senior. I think that bodes well. He just needs to develop that hunger for the boards that DC had. Hopefully he can add 10 lbs of muscle before next season. :)

I am begging everyone, do not do this. He is not DC. He won't be DC. Their freshman years won't be equivalent.

I think from the limited viewing of last night's game it's clear he could buy us some minutes at the 3, but along with a PG we need someone who can come off the bench and play both frontcourt spots. This is assuming we are set with the 3 centers we have.

I have learned to temper expectations on recruits. I will say his shot looks better than I expected it to. I'm not looking for a Melo freshman season. I think Donnie can be a threat offensively, drag PF out to make space, and if motivated can be a plus defender and provide weak side rim protection. 25+ minutes 10-12pts, 5-7reb, 1-2blks. If he does that he will likely be a first round pick on potential. If he does more than that GREAT!

You're right, there is a non-zero chance that I guess he could be as good as DC.

There is also a non-zero chance that my retirement can be funded by Power Ball.
His play style will be different from DC but, stat-wise, the hardest one to hit will be 9 boards per game. I don’t see Freeman getting that many. However, DC’s 12 points is not at all a long shot and not unprecedented for other freshman at Cuse. 1.8 blocks isn’t at all a stretch. 1.2 assists is a low bar (and probably where Freeman makes up for the rebound deficit).

Edit: Naturally, this assumes the minutes (30) are there for him. If not, my tempered expectations still anticipate ‘per 40’ numbers near DC levels except in rebounding.

Last edited:
Ugh, him and bell chilling on the perimeter is useless
hope he 's not another Quincy Guerrier, we needed him to mix it up down low but he fancied himself a 3-point shooter to audition for the NBA and not what JB wanted and needed him to do

Makes me wonder if Donnie at the 3, Brown at 4, Lampkin at the 5, and Bell 6th man off the bench would have been possible...
I highly doubt Bell would've accepted a demotion.

You're right, there is a non-zero chance that I guess he could be as good as DC.

There is also a non-zero chance that my retirement can be funded by Power Ball.
Apparently you know he’s not that good ?? He looks like an NBA player to me in the video I have seen

hope he 's not another Quincy Guerrier, we needed him to mix it up down low but he fancied himself a 3-point shooter to audition for the NBA and not what JB wanted and needed him to do
Guerrier was excellent as an interior player for us. He did what he was asked to do while he was here. There was never an issue with that while he wore the Syracuse jersey.

Even if he was to become a new DC, we'd not see it, cuz he wouldn't stick around long enough.

He was fine yesterday, a good shot from deep, grabbed a couple rebounds, defended a bit,
stood around and watched the guards show off. Ok. All you get to expect in that kind of
game really. Reviews of what we didn't see make it sound like he had a good week. Cool. Go
play well in the Chipotle HS Championship tourney. And then eat LOTS please.

At least the "where hype becomes legend" game was competitive, opposite of the NBA ASG.

kev

Harper is a nice player, but he called his own number an awful lot for a PG

I highly doubt Bell would've accepted a demotion.
Kind of like Maliq lol. Then the question becomes, is it easier to replace Bell or Maliq? Honestly I think Maliq brings more to the table and Bells shooting is replaceable with a guy that shoots at a high clip but also brings better D and rebounding. Doesn't matter though since Maliq is gone. Can't drive your car by looking in the rear view mirror, gotta look out the windshield to keep going forward. I'm looking forward to seeing who else Red brings in with all the open spots we have.

I am begging everyone, do not do this. He is not DC. He won't be DC. Their freshman years won't be equivalent.
I know that. Totally different games. DC was not a shooter. His game was blocking shots, cleaning the glass, and finishing strong around the rim.

Oh, and a receiver of some very sweet alley-oops from a stud PG

The minute distribution is a joke. Should be more balanced.

Freeman I'm pretty sure had another board.
Yeah, I think he had at least two boards, although whatevs. I was bummed he didn't play more, but he was plus-15, highest on the West roster. Lots of highly ranked guys didn't play much, including Bethea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom