Doug Marrone | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Ok?

So he went from horrible to mediocre in 2 years. No small feat for sure. I'm not ragging on Saint Marrone. Just step back and look at the facts. Babers has a better win 3/4 of the way into his tenure than Marrone had in 1.5 (if you call @WVU comparable). If Babers had Maine on the schedule instead of ND and Akron instead of USF - we've got 6 wins already.

SOS comp:

2010: #72
2016: #16

Sorry but for me it's not really close.

When Marrone arrived he didn't have three LBs or a QB.

Many may not like him - in retrospect- but he did an amazing job on the Hill.

Hopefully Dino will continue to impress.

Sorry but for me it's not really close.

When Marrone arrived he didn't have three LBs or a QB.

Many may not like him - in retrospect- but he did an amazing job on the Hill.

Hopefully Dino will continue to impress.
Um, they moved Doug Hogue to LB. Also, I believe Marrone inherited a rFr. QB by the name of Ryan Nassib.

Marrone did an okay job. He got a lot out of what Gerg left him and then when he left we were stuck with Shafer who couldn't prepare the team the same way.

Scott Shafer's failure has definitely soured my opinion on FHCDM, if that makes sense.

It's like he made sure the program tanked after he left to give himself that "saint Doug" credit.

Like of course he was awesome. He was the only guy who could possibly make Syracuse football respectable.

Shafer didn't win this game Chandler Jones and Brendan Sharpe dominated the WVU OL. This game was heavily part of Chander's draft package when he was drafted the following year.

He was their DC. If we're giving Marrone credit for the win, you have to give Shafer credit for the defensive performance. Coaches coach, players execute. It's probably not worth arguing over as clearly both coaching and players did their job that day.

He was their DC. If we're giving Marrone credit for the win, you have to give Shafer credit for the defensive performance. Coaches coach, players execute. It's probably not worth arguing over as clearly both coaching and players did their job that day.
So Nate Hackett gets credit for the Pinstripe Bowl win against Kansas State?

Marrone did a decent job. He made us mediocre which after Gerg was good. However, he used a lot of what Gerg left him and then bounced and left us with Shafer which got us back to Gerg level nationally.

Untrue of course

Justin Pugh (right after Marrone left): I think we all should appreciate what coach Marrone did for Syracuse. He left the program in much better shape than where he found it. "He turned the Syracuse program around in the 4 years that I was there. Great coach."

Antwon Bailey: Happy for Marrone. Great coach. Tough that he's leaving the cuse. Changed the mindset of a program, players and fans

Greg Paulus: "Discipline and accountability," he said. "He brought toughness elements, work ethic and his experience - coming from the NFL and developing great players in the NFL.

"He had to change a culture, and he did a phenomenal job of that in his first year. Each year the talent level got better. His ability to make players better and his ability to change the culture with toughness, that's what he wanted to do, and that's what he did."

It's one thing to bring that type of culture to a college campus, but another to an NFL locker room with multi-millionaires - but even though the Bills are not known as a team that necessarily needs its discipline to get better, it's part of Marrone's style.

not sure about Paulus' quote but the others were after he left SU, I was saying when he left the Bills. Not attacking the man by any means, just don't remember anyone coming to his defense when he left the Bills. Unless that Paulus quote was after Doug left Buffalo.

not sure about Paulus' quote but the others were after he left SU, I was saying when he left the Bills. Not attacking the man by any means, just don't remember anyone coming to his defense when he left the Bills. Unless that Paulus quote was after Doug left Buffalo.
I would not expect there to be quotes from former Cuse players for when Marrone left the Bills but I will look them up. The Bills players felt jilted...so of course they would not have kind words about it. If they thought the guy was a bad coach though, they would not have have been upset that he left. There were also plenty of rumors that he would be fired after his 9-win season with Kyle Orton at the helm.

With that said...
From ESPN writer Elizaeth errill: "Kyle Orton, a former Bills quarterback who retired after last season, is a Doug Marrone fan. Orton despises talking to the media, but he made a point to return a call this summer so he could praise his ex-coach."

Um, they moved Doug Hogue to LB. Also, I believe Marrone inherited a rFr. QB by the name of Ryan Nassib.

Marrone did an okay job. He got a lot out of what Gerg left him and then when he left we were stuck with Shafer who couldn't prepare the team the same way.

Um, yeah, they had to move an RB to LB because they had nothing there and they still had to bring in a JC LB that summer - they gave him the starting job before he washed out almost as soon as summer camp began.

And Nassib was beaten out by a guy who had not played football for four years.

Marrone did an great job - hardly an "okay" job.

Many are upset with the manner in which he left - I'm still upset by what he did. But it doesn't discount what he accomplished in a very short period of time.

Um, yeah, they had to move an RB to LB because they had nothing there and they still had to bring in a JC LB that summer - they gave him the starting job before he washed out almost as soon as summer camp began.

Many are upset with the manner in which he left - I'm still upset by what he did. But it doesn't discount what he accomplished in a very short period of time.
From what I was told, Nassib wasn't necessarily beat out. FHCDM knew that the OL was terrible (at least to start the year) and he didn't want to get get him killed his RS frosh year. Keeping RN's confidence in place was a major factor.

From what I was told, Nassib wasn't necessarily beat out. FHCDM knew that the OL was terrible (at least to start the year) and he didn't want to get get him killed his RS frosh year. Keeping RN's confidence in place was a major factor.
I think there is a bit of both. Nassib was later thankful he was not "thown to the wolves". However, I think Paulus was better than Nassib the first year Nassib started. It took Nassib a couple of years to be ok.

I would not expect there to be quotes from former Cuse players for when Marrone left the Bills but I will look them up. The Bills players felt jilted...so of course they would not have kind words about it. If they thought the guy was a bad coach though, they would not have have been upset that he left. There were also plenty of rumors that he would be fired after his 9-win season with Kyle Orton at the helm.

With that said...
From ESPN writer Elizaeth errill: "Kyle Orton, a former Bills quarterback who retired after last season, is a Doug Marrone fan. Orton despises talking to the media, but he made a point to return a call this summer so he could praise his ex-coach."

good point about Bills players, sure. Again, wasn't dogging DM, I liked him, but I don't think he was a well liked individual for the most part. Glad Orton stood up for him, Orton was always a good guy when he was on the Bears.

good point about Bills players, sure. Again, wasn't dogging DM, I liked him, but I don't think he was a well liked individual for the most part. Glad Orton stood up for him, Orton was always a good guy when he was on the Bears.
Yeah..sure he wasn't universally liked but I bet a lot more of the Bills players liked him fine the day before he quit v. the day after. Google what Rob Long had to say about Marrone.

Nassib wasnt wasn't beaten out by Paulus. The new staff didn't want Nassib taking a beating. Marrone would sub Nassib in during series depending on the down and distance. The staff knew Nassib was a player.
Also Hogue came to Su over Penn St because we let him play Rb. Marrone knew he had a LB there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom