Doug Marrone | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

I don't think he is an SOB . That is the CYA smear campaign spun out by people at SU and Bills front office .
Of course you are entitled to that opinion. It's just you are pretty much alone here. And that's fine if you are an iconoclast as opposed to a stooge.

Of course you are entitled to that opinion. It's just you are pretty much alone here. And that's fine if you are an iconoclast as opposed to a stooge.
Doug went to both teams upper management to ask for things that he needed to build more success and they both said NO . I am wrong in saying that is how things unfolded ? It was BS then and is still BS . I am not DM's stooge , I just believe he was given a bum wrap and since nowadays it is fashionable to do anonymous character assassinations of public figures on the internet , I provide some counter balance . I believe there are many people who want to say the same thing but feel intimidated by a relative few bully's and that allows them to win .

Doug went to both teams upper management to ask for things that he needed to build more success and they both said NO . I am wrong in saying that is how things unfolded ? It was BS then and is still BS . I am not DM's stooge , I just believe he was given a bum wrap and since nowadays it is fashionable to do anonymous character assassinations of public figures on the internet , I provide some counter balance . I believe there are many people who want to say the same thing but feel intimidated by a relative few bully's and that allows them to win .

This take is crazy talk. Everyone here is thankful for the job he did here when he was HC. Everyone.

Sometimes when you complain about resources and are willing to leave due to them - you need to look in the mirror a bit. He wasn't wrong in asking for the IPF here and for raises for his coaches. It's the bailing when things get a wee bit difficult that is a failing.

And if you think people who post here are just speaking about the public comments from SU employees who worked with Marrone, you're nuts. There is way too much smoke.

Anonymous character assassinations? Counter balance? Bully's...really?

I'm not sure I buy your explanation. For better or worse, it appears that you've designated yourself board contrarian staking out positions solely to stir the pot. On most forums this behavior is referred to as trolling.

I'm not sure I buy your explanation. For better or worse, it appears that you've designated yourself board contrarian staking out positions solely to stir the pot. On most forums this behavior is referred to as trolling.
I don't post on the FB board enough to know if this is indeed the poster's habit.

If so, it's rather sad.

Maybe. But as I noted on B-ball board, his players who still love him despite the physical abuse may have Stockholm syndrome.

I don't know. As a female who didn't play team sports like you all may have, I don't have that perspective.
It's a fine line

I had coaches who I thought were just sadistic s and s who got their jollies abusing kids and teens

I also had some who were tough and did it the right way where I learned a lot and knew that it was for my benefit

... All about how it is presented I guess, and I am sure every individual responded differently to different methods

Yeah , I'm a troll because I stick up for an alumni who played on the team and gave his blood , sweat and tears and then coached the team out of purgatory and has had one of the more significant pro coaching careers of any SU player .

Yeah , I'm a troll because I stick up for an alumni who played on the team and gave his blood , sweat and tears and then coached the team out of purgatory and has had one of the more significant pro coaching careers of any SU player .
That's just fine. Have your opinion. But others have their own opinions, which may not agree with yours. Hey, the internet... :noidea:

That 2nd year schedule for Doug was the easiest we've had here in 20 years. The VaTech win is better than any he had in his first two years. Higher recruiting classes by 20 or so spots too.

Really don't feel like stepping into this thread but here I go anyway. I think the 2009 win over Rutgers was every bit as good as the VT win.

Considering it was just after Mike Williams quit and what Rutgers had done to us the previous 4 years. They were #25 in the AP and we outgained them by 300 yards. It was a series that we really needed to turn around.

Having said that, the VT win this year has energized me about the program more than I can remember in a long time. It wasn't a fluke. Can't guarantee we'll get 6 this year but very well might. This thing is going to take off. This is the kind of hire we should have been looking for when Marrone left.

The owners of the Saints and many more high level people only have good things to say about him .

He was very efficient in getting Payton's coffee.

That 2nd year schedule for Doug was the easiest we've had here in 20 years. The VaTech win is better than any he had in his first two years. Higher recruiting classes by 20 or so spots too.

The Babers haters will use that 2nd year argument next year with a schedule that's 100x more difficult than St. Doug's year 2 slate.

Really don't feel like stepping into this thread but here I go anyway. I think the 2009 win over Rutgers was every bit as good as the VT win.

Considering it was just after Mike Williams quit and what Rutgers had done to us the previous 4 years. They were #25 in the AP and we outgained them by 300 yards. It was a series that we really needed to turn around.

Having said that, the VT win this year has energized me about the program more than I can remember in a long time. It wasn't a fluke. Can't guarantee we'll get 6 this year but very well might. This thing is going to take off. This is the kind of hire we should have been looking for when Marrone left.
IMG_2884.jpg
this was the program changing motivation you needed :)

Marrone inherited a program in disarray with ten wins in four years.

In two years he was in a bowl that he won.

You play the schedule you're given - including WVU at home in 2010.

Marrone was good for us at the time. I'm thrilled with Babers now. Who cares about the rest of this? Bye week boredom I guess.

95% of it is people still being butt hurt over the way he left, and him having the gall to utter the words "Dream Job". Nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately for the Jets, their management apparently missed this game. When that game ended, I knew Geno Smith was going to be a terrible NFL player. He looked like a deer in the headlights.

He got absolutely abused that game.

That was 2011.

Not one former player of his that played for Doug the HC defended him when he was getting destroyed after leaving the Bills, whether that be former Cuse or Bills players. That says a lot.

Untrue of course

Justin Pugh (right after Marrone left): I think we all should appreciate what coach Marrone did for Syracuse. He left the program in much better shape than where he found it. "He turned the Syracuse program around in the 4 years that I was there. Great coach."

Antwon Bailey: Happy for Marrone. Great coach. Tough that he's leaving the cuse. Changed the mindset of a program, players and fans

Greg Paulus: "Discipline and accountability," he said. "He brought toughness elements, work ethic and his experience - coming from the NFL and developing great players in the NFL.

"He had to change a culture, and he did a phenomenal job of that in his first year. Each year the talent level got better. His ability to make players better and his ability to change the culture with toughness, that's what he wanted to do, and that's what he did."

It's one thing to bring that type of culture to a college campus, but another to an NFL locker room with multi-millionaires - but even though the Bills are not known as a team that necessarily needs its discipline to get better, it's part of Marrone's style.

Last edited:
Ehhhh I agree with your take and I'm maybe splitting hairs, but this was an awful good win.

Syracuse vs. West Virginia - Game Recap - October 23, 2010 - ESPN

Def splitting hairs. A great win on the road (Shafer won this game for us) - but they weren't ranked.

And this was mid-way through year two. Babers sig win was mid way through his first. I think we'll look back on this win as more important to the program. Unless we beat Clemson :)

EDIT: They were ranked #20 in one poll. My bad. Similar win.

Last edited:

Ok?

So he went from horrible to mediocre in 2 years. No small feat for sure. I'm not ragging on Saint Marrone. Just step back and look at the facts. Babers has a better win 3/4 of the way into his tenure than Marrone had in 1.5 (if you call @WVU comparable). If Babers had Maine on the schedule instead of ND and Akron instead of USF - we've got 6 wins already.

SOS comp:

2010: #72
2016: #16

A bum wrap sounds tawdry spa treatment.:rolling:

Def splitting hairs. A great win on the road (Shafer won this game for us) - but they weren't ranked.

And this was mid-way through year two. Babers sig win was mid way through his first. I think we'll look back on this win as more important to the program. Unless we beat Clemson :)

EDIT: They were ranked #20 in one poll. My bad. Similar win.
Shafer didn't win this game Chandler Jones and Brendan Sharpe dominated the WVU OL. This game was heavily part of Chander's draft package when he was drafted the following year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom