Doug Marrone | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

bring marrone back here. period. he gets it. now he has the upgrade in facilities, no dr.gross to deal with. downside is he may not want the nil and portal headaches.
Great, he doesn't want NIL or the portal and you want him as our head coach. He also gets a kick out of leaving teams in the middle of the night. I'm all in!

Ok hear me out. Why wouldn’t we go all in on the only coach to have success here over the last 30 years ? The time will never be more right. As much as he apparently dislikes recruiting he is back in college. He has scratched the NFL itch and was good enough to be coveted by several NFL franchises. We have the facilities he didn’t get when he was here first. We have the ACC affiliation. As much as people say he didn’t like recruiting he recruited better than both Shafer and Babers with awful facilities and Big East affiliation. Marrone consistently developed players, something neither of the 2 following regimes have managed to do. This is a loss that you absolutely can’t have. Things have got worse. Name 1 offensive player Babers has developed offensively that he recruited other than Taj. After this game I am done with Babers and want to see Wildhack at very least make an effort to bring Marrone home.
I'd take him back in Buffalo over McDumbass, that's how little I think of that idiot

It never goes well to have a take 2 in college. The job is harder, he is older. Even if I liked the guy, I wouldn't put any thought into it

I'd take him back in Buffalo over McDumbass, that's how little I think of that idiot

It never goes well to have a take 2 in college. The job is harder, he is older. Even if I liked the guy, I wouldn't put any thought into it
Schiano is doing pretty a solid job at Rutgers, but he's the only one I can think of.

Marrone hated recruiting. There's no way he will adapt to NIL and the portal.

We don’t even know who all will be available during this off-season. Several big name guys could get canned. Some could be possibilities for us.
One man’s trash is another’s treasure.

I have thought about Marrone myself and we look back on his tenure fondly for the most part because of what we have now. But like some have said that ship has sailed.

Let’s wait until all the dust settles to see who stands out for us. In the meantime we need to get rid of Dino first.

Nor should it.

It's amazing how much the discussion of next coaches involves a dynamic of "HEY I KNOW THIS GUYS NAME!! I AM FAMILIAR!!! LETS HIRE HIM!!!!".
it's one of the reasons why i think that syracuse fans only watch syracuse

it's one of the reasons why i think that syracuse fans only watch syracuse
I think all fanbases do it to some extent. When the Sox were looking for a new GM half the suggestions on a fan board I visit were just guys who's name was known.

Schiano is doing pretty a solid job at Rutgers, but he's the only one I can think of.

This season only so far. Fair to call out but he doesn't have any sustained success. This looks to be a one off season compared to prior.

Can you imagine all the dirty business that goes on during recruiting? Who woild like it. The portal and the NIL are above board compared to that.

More than anything we need a recruiter. Doug don’t like recruiting
It's not an either/or thing. We need a coach that can recruit, develop players, and knows the X's and O's or at least get a staff that can do cover for what he's weak in. If we're missing any one of those, we won't have success.

I think all fanbases do it to some extent. When the Sox were looking for a new GM half the suggestions on a fan board I visit were just guys who's name was known.
there are a lot of college football fan bases with little competition for their attention.

I'm hoping the Bills do poorly enough this year to fire the coaching staff and start a quick rebuild, they are going to crap away #17's best years with the current clown show.

Johnny Major's second go around at Pitt was beyond awful. But I remember Pitt fans being super excited he was coming back...bringing back a guy for a second stint is a "win the press conference" move, which almost always proves to be an on-field disaster.

I don't believe he brought Nassib in. I'm almost positive he didn't. Loeb? Really? Hunt? No. Paulus is close but he wouldn't help either.

Totally irrelevant here - but Charlie Loeb had one of the best games of any Syracuse football player ever.

I mean - not on the football field. But the dude was legend off of it.

Ok hear me out. Why wouldn’t we go all in on the only coach to have success here over the last 30 years ? The time will never be more right. As much as he apparently dislikes recruiting he is back in college. He has scratched the NFL itch and was good enough to be coveted by several NFL franchises. We have the facilities he didn’t get when he was here first. We have the ACC affiliation. As much as people say he didn’t like recruiting he recruited better than both Shafer and Babers with awful facilities and Big East affiliation. Marrone consistently developed players, something neither of the 2 following regimes have managed to do. This is a loss that you absolutely can’t have. Things have got worse. Name 1 offensive player Babers has developed offensively that he recruited other than Taj. After this game I am done with Babers and want to see Wildhack at very least make an effort to bring Marrone home.
I think it'd be the absolute best play for SU Football, make the accommodations needed to get over the things that drove him out the first time...Dude can coach and fits this program as good as we'll ever get...get this done asap.

My wife was the same way but we got a place on Oneida Lake and I don’t think I could get her to leave now if I wanted to.

The Marrones look like they would enjoy lake life.
He needs to get her to kueka or another fingerlake skaneatles. She can hobnob with the celebratees

It's not an either/or thing. We need a coach that can recruit, develop players, and knows the X's and O's or at least get a staff that can do cover for what he's weak in. If we're missing any one of those, we won't have success.
Somewhat agree. But recruiting, in my opinion, is the single most important thing I want from a head coach. Let the assts handle x and o

Somewhat agree. But recruiting, in my opinion, is the single most important thing I want from a head coach. Let the assts handle x and o
But the assistants are just as important with recruiting. They probably have more contact with recruits than the head coach. Regardless of how you slice it, the staff has to be strong with all of it, especially with a school like ours that doesn't just attract top talent.

If they could get him to come back they should. He can recruit the one type of athlete we need OL. He has coached them at the highest level.
He has credibility there that no one else has. Give him the money for assistants and travel, with NIL, and he will compete.

Most of the best skill offensive players on Marrone's best squad (2012) - Nassib, Pugh, Lemon, Sales - were all GRob recruits.

I think there would have been a real problem 2013/2014 for Marrone on offense looking at what Shafer had to work with of what was remaining after that year. Guess we'll never know but it would have been interesting to see what his records would have been in those 2 years.

Most of the best skill offensive players on Marrone's best squad (2012) - Nassib, Pugh, Lemon, Sales - were all GRob recruits.

I think there would have been a real problem 2013/2014 for Marrone on offense looking at what Shafer had to work with of what was remaining after that year. Guess we'll never know but it would have been interesting to see what his records would have been in those 2 years.
I don't think he'd ever come here and I don't know that he'd be the best choice anyway, but he did have some talent coming in had he not gone to the NFL. Gus Edwards is still playing in the NFL. That's better than any skill position guy he inherited.

If they could get him to come back they should. He can recruit the one type of athlete we need OL. He has coached them at the highest level.
He has credibility there that no one else has. Give him the money for assistants and travel, with NIL, and he will compete.

He was off like a prom dress the minute the NFL knocked...

I don't think he wants to be a college coach but saw it as a necessary stepping stone.

Pass from me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom