DP show is talking about NBA raising the height of the basket | Syracusefan.com

DP show is talking about NBA raising the height of the basket

It could never happen, you play on a ten foot rim from cyo to college then it is raised??? All those years of jump shots, low post moves, rebounding all on a ten foot rim is now different. Shooting percentages would drop and it could take a career to get acclimated to a different goal.

Sounds like a way to focus attention on the NBA in advance of all star weekend.

Stupid topic they create just so they can fawn over Lebron some more.

it would take pros about 1 day to adjust.. how long does it take the avg person to adjust to shooting on 8-9 ft rims about 3 shots. the main difference would be less dunking which would probably mean less collisions around the basket.

Apparently there is also talk of widening the football field.

This would actually make some sense considering the change in the speed of the game. If this has any legs, it would warrant the allowance for more contact by DBs, though (maybe a 10yd. contact zone?), since WRs will have more room to work.

This would actually make some sense considering the change in the speed of the game. If this has any legs, it would warrant the allowance for more contact by DBs, though (maybe a 10yd. contact zone?), since WRs will have more room to work.
Yes and they are saying it would limit injuries the game would be more lateral.

it would take pros about 1 day to adjust.. how long does it take the avg person to adjust to shooting on 8-9 ft rims about 3 shots. the main difference would be less dunking which would probably mean less collisions around the basket.

They actually tried this back in the 60's (something of a Lew Alcindor backlash) at the University of Tennessee, IIRC, and played a scrimmage game with 12 foot baskets. One unintended consequence of interest was that rebounds kicked out a lot farther, and tended to negate players with a height advantage.

They actually tried this back in the 60's (something of a Lew Alcindor backlash) at the University of Tennessee, IIRC, and played a scrimmage game with 12 foot baskets. One unintended consequence of interest was that rebounds kicked out a lot farther, and tended to negate players with a height advantage.
I'm sure the rest of the world would love the idea.

we came up with the idea 70 years ago and it got stuck at 10 ft by accident and yet people think its the perfect height now that people are about 6 inches taller and jump much higher.

Tried for one game in the late '40's, early 50's when Oklahoma or Oklahoma A&M had a 7 footer. Forgot name, but thinking Bevo Francis, or Bob Kurland (sp) Score was lower, but big man still prevailed.

I'm sure the rest of the world would love the idea.

I'm disappointed with the lack of intellectual curiousity of people who think it's a terrible idea without having seen it, tried it, experimented with it, or really know anything about it.

I'm disappointed with the lack of intellectual curiousity of people who think it's a terrible idea without having seen it, tried it, experimented with it, or really know anything about it.
I guess I don't like change. For example I watched a few years back during the Olymipic's under their rules, and it wasn't good. I don't think change is needed in this regard. Maybe in other facets of the game just not this.

I guess I don't like change. For example I watched a few years back during the Olymipic's under their rules, and it wasn't good. I don't think change is needed in this regard. Maybe in other facets of the game just not this.
Like a complete overhaul of the charging rule.
:bang:

Like a complete overhaul of the charging rule.
:bang:

A 12 foot basket would results in fewer drives to the basket and fewer attempted dunks, with far fewer charges. Just saying.

A 12 foot basket would results in fewer drives to the basket and fewer attempted dunks, with far fewer charges. Just saying.
I want dunks, not attempted dunks. There's gotta be a way ;)

Fixed it for you.
Sincerely,
Idiot Refs
408315.jpg

You talking to me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online