Draft Express(Givony) and ESPN(Ford) aren't high on Mali's Draft Prospects | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Express(Givony) and ESPN(Ford) aren't high on Mali's Draft Prospects

He can get to the rim, but does not finish enough once there.
Correct! That is because he isn't strong enough yet he easily gets bumped off his spot once there is contact going to the basket. This will all be solved next year after hitting the weight room.

37% shooting will not cut it. The NBA will need to see has the skills to generate and finish efficient looks, if he is not going to be a specaility player (i.e 3+D) If you can't generate efficient looks against D1 talent the NBA will be wary.

His mechanics are good enough that he will be drafted on his potential to get to be a 40% 3 point shooter in the NBA. He's fine on that end.

NBA teams know what kind of offense he is in and what position he is being forced to play. He's going to start with the expectation that he can catch and shoot on a second unit. He has a solid jab step as well.

He doesn't have the athleticism to be a non-head case version of JR Smith.

He does, however, need to show that he can play defense, both on ball and help. That's going to be a much bigger issue.

Mal's warts (lack of strength and elite athleticism, shooting %) are really not good for his pro prospects. He can work to improve in each area this summer and prove it next year, greatly improving his stock.

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, but I'm assuming these kids would have to pay their own way to the combine? That could be prohibitive to someone who isn't signing with an agent (since the agent either pays for the athlete to attend the combines or workouts, or the athlete pays for it with the signing bonus money they receive from the agent).

How much does a bus ticket and a room at the YMCA cost? It's only cost prohibitive if you are absolutely destitute (not poor...outright destitute) or don't understand the concept of shopping for things you can actually afford.

This has probably been brought up already and I just missed it, but I would have to think the fact that Malachi was a 20 year old freshman will be a factor in his decision. It seems ridiculous to people in the real world, but to some NBA scouts drafting on potential a 21 or 22 is too old.

These are the 14 shooting guards rated higher than Mal by Ford and Givony:

Hield
Furkan Korkaz
Grayson Allen
Malik Beasley
Caris Levert
Josh Hart
Isaiah Whitehead
Malcolm Brogdon
Patrick McCaw
Isaia Cordinier
Wayne Selden
Ron Baker
Sviatosla Mykhauliuk.
Ehhhh, pretty sure most of those guys aren't better than Richardson and most those guys definitely don't project better. A good workout could catapult him past most of them.

For instance, is someone really drafting Ron Baker ahead of Richardson?

Ehhhh, pretty sure most of those guys aren't better than Richardson and most those guys definitely don't project better. A good workout could catapult him past most of them.

For instance, is someone really drafting Ron Baker ahead of Richardson?

Really? Start looking at the shooting percentages of these guys and compare them to Mal.

Really? Start looking at the shooting percentages of these guys and compare them to Mal.
There's a lot of guys who shoot better than Richardson. Doesn't mean I'd draft them over his potential. Ron Baker? F outta here.. If someone drafts Ron Baker ahead of Richardson, they need new scouts.

I think aside from a few good players, the rest of that list isn't very impressive and with a good workout, should he get invited, he could catapult up that list. That's all I'm saying.

There's a lot of guys who shoot better than Richardson. Doesn't mean I'd draft them over his potential. Ron Baker? F outta here.. If someone drafts Ron Baker ahead of Richardson, they need new scouts.

I think aside from a few good players, the rest of that list isn't very impressive and with a good workout, should he get invited, he could catapult up that list. That's all I'm saying.

Well Baker is so low on the list he won't be drafted anyway.

Would you rather have Whitehead or Mal? Whitehead isn't projected to be drafted either.

I just checked with my nephew on how the NBA Combine is paid for. He's worked the combine for the last 6 years or so. He said that he's pretty sure, even with the new rules that the NBA will continue to pay the expenses of the invitees as they always have.

These are the 14 shooting guards rated higher than Mal by Ford and Givony:

Hield
Furkan Korkaz
Grayson Allen
Malik Beasley
Caris Levert
Josh Hart
Isaiah Whitehead
Malcolm Brogdon
Patrick McCaw
Isaia Cordinier
Wayne Selden
Ron Baker
Sviatosla Mykhauliuk.

Isaiah Whitehead will only accept an NBA contract if his High School coach is hired as an assistant.

Grayson just announced he's returning to Duke. I always wonder after a long run are these frosh actually engaged in being students at Syracuse? If the answer is no, maybe their answer is made regardless of draft position. In other words, they are in peril of flunking out. I don't know how it works but I would think a long run in the tourney followed up by workouts to determine draft status doesn't exactly work well for someone trying to get to HBC for class on a daily basis.

That sucks. I'd rather that his punchable face was in a different league.

You can't coach douche-bag. Oh wait a minute, unless you play at Duke.

Last edited:
I don't think Ford updated his board beyond the Top 30 that was updated yesterday. So we at least know that Malachi is outside of that number along with the "next 5" he listed below it. I'm going to assume that if there is a full board update that he would be in the Top 50 but that's still a Billy Fuccillo risk to take without a 1st round guarantee.

I think hes got enough raw talent that a team will roll the dice on him and draft him in the second round if he were to declare this year. But if your MR, What? is the point of leaving then?

NBAdraft.bet has him just outside the lottery now when he wasn't even on their radar before the tournament. That's insane. No way are scouts and CMs stupid enough to draft a guy based off two weeks. Right? RIGHT?
There's a history of NBA Front Office people overrating the NCAAT. Maybe more will catch on, but there are certainly some out there that will base their judgement on tourney performances.

There's a history of NBA Front Office people overrating the NCAAT. Maybe more will catch on, but there are certainly some out there that will base their judgement on tourney performances.

Examples? I can't think of any. These type of things are tracked all year by the experts.

Examples? I can't think of any. These type of things are tracked all year by the experts.
LeBron fell for it and forced the Heat to draft Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb is an absolute example of this and a fair comp for Malachi.

LeBron fell for it and forced the Heat to draft Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb is an absolute example of this and a fair comp for Malachi.

Shabazz was picked 24th, is that really a huge overdraft? Not like he went lotto or something.

Shabazz was picked 24th, is that really a huge overdraft? Not like he went lotto or something.
Based on how quickly they gave up on him I think it was a wasted pick. Also there were some pretty good players taken after him (Capela, PJ Hairston, Jerami Grant, Nikola Jokic).

I think hes got enough raw talent that a team will roll the dice on him and draft him in the second round if he were to declare this year. But if your MR, What? is the point of leaving then?

NBAdraft.bet has him just outside the lottery now when he wasn't even on their radar before the tournament. That's insane. No way are scouts and CMs stupid enough to draft a guy based off two weeks. Right? RIGHT?

That website is trash

The two over-hyped guys who are the perceived best in the business. Givony doesn't even have Mal in his top 100. Ford has him 78th. Both of these lists were updated this week.

By comparison, Lydon is the 42 best prospect on Ford's list and projected as a borderline lottery pick next year by Givony. Mal isn't even projected to be drafted next year by Givony.
Correction

I'm not sure there's a downside for him by checking it out and then coming back to school. What he learns about the process this year will help him whenever he chooses to go. Even if he goes this year, it's his life and he has to make his own decisions. I'd love to have him return but uncertainty is routine for SU and the kids that come here. However it plays out, it's a great time to be an SU fan.

Agreed. As long as he doesn't stop going to class...

but we have no idea who else will declare

CftS7xGW4AAbmtH.jpg:large

599.gif
giphy.gif
3635381-sarcastic+laugh.gif