DT Curtis Harper transferring to Akron | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

DT Curtis Harper transferring to Akron

Maybe he wasn't going to start next year?

Caleb OkechukwuR-So.
Steve LintonR-Fr.
Joe RondiR-Fr.
Chase SimmonsFr.
Jatius GeerFr.
Derek McDonaldFr.
Terry LockettFr.
Elijah Fuentes-CundiffFr.

You notice anything about that list?

Are you Kevon Darton?
Haha I just had to look him up. He is definetely in better shape then me even if we are the same size. He is 2 years younger then me though. I’d have done the same thing and walked on if possible if I could afford to go to syraxuse lol but it’s too late now

At some point some of you have to realize the different ways a player could be told to explore his options. The portal will be used to bring in players. Some of you act like they aren’t going to replace these guys.

Well, so far we've lost 10 guys DURING THE SEASON.

And when the season began, there were already 5 unused scholarships.

So, sorry, but I don't see anybody on this coaching staff "hitting the portal".

There were 5 spots we could’ve filled? Well that’s depressing.

The message being sent by these players is hard to decipher ,it certainty means something.

I've never seen such a slow drip-drip-drip of players quitting during the season and so very publicly.

I'm troubled by all the losses. And this isn't new. This (to me) is a big part of why we always seem undermanned, after he's been the head coach for all these seasons. There have been 15-20 guys we lose almost every year, it seems.

You never have those upperclassmen that a school like Syracuse NEEDS to have success if they all keep leaving after a year or two or three.

mehh ill think about it, just figured Id share pertinent information on a fan board because some people like to hear these things ya know?
Posting insider info is appreciated. The self congratulatory stuff is a bit much, in my opinion.

Especially coming off a season in which we couldn't field 5 guys for the offensive line, and had to use a running back as our starter.

I mean, seriously, is that amateur hour, or what?

We brought in an OL from the portal.

He quit after a week.

Dino never talks publicly about personnel except brief, high-level vanilla statements.
The downside is that it allows baseless claims to gain steam and get people agitated.
The upside of course is that he’s the coach and he’s doing what’s best to take care of the team, as is his right and responsibility

So I have to be a fact checker now too. There were not 5 unused scholarships...only 2. They took a 2021 class of 23.

"Current NCAA rules allow programs to sign up to 25 players in a new football signing class — termed “initial counters” — which includes high school players and transfers."

That was the rule for 2021.

Last edited:
Do you want them to send you pictures of them hitting the portal?

Why do you think the coaches aren’t hitting the portal (researching and reviewing every kid who becomes available) ?

Bleich
Shrader
Roscoe
Simmons
Cooper

What I mean is that they seem a bit dismissive of it. They're a bit too selective, when you have so many unused roster spots and so many injuries. Don't you think?

What I mean is that they seem a bit dismissive of it. They're a bit too selective, when you have so many unused roster spots and so many injuries. Don't you think?
Too selective? No the transfers they go after are too selective.

Ive heard a lot of positive notes about Geer.

But thats a lot of youth to supplant a vet like Curtis who’s proven he can disrupt in the back field
Yup, we need to grab 2 DL from the Portal/JUCO

Again why are people worrying in November about next seasons starting dline? Harper is a grad transfer and has earned the right to find a better scheme fit. We have 9 months before camps start, I am guessing some bodies will be brought in.

I said it once and I’ll say it again my source says Dino is losing the locker room, look at my previous posts on this topic, he still has a lot of supporters on team of course but some are growing tired of his messaging. I said within two weeks, I said defense, bad news it might happen again.
Nonsense

I think he actually got a lot of snaps in front of Harper last weekend to. Not sure why he didn’t show up in the snap counts.

You are correct. According to PFF, Darton played 18 snaps.

No I don’t think that. Yes, there were some scholarships left open at the beginning of the season. But, I don’t think that was because coaches hadn’t looked for players. Cody Shear is an example of a reach that did not pan out.

I happen to think with only a few players with eligibility that would expire at the end of the 2021 season, the coaches opted (not necessarily by choice) to leave some scholarships open so they could bring in a bigger 2022 class.

Are they “a bit too selective”? Probably not. The selection process cuts both ways. With so many young players in our two-deep, we may not be attractive to players who looking for playing time.

Some may choose to think our coaches aren’t doing everything they can do to identify quality players who can help the program. I choose to believe they actually are doing everything they can. Almost like their jobs depend on it.

Too selective? No the transfers they go after are too selective.

How's our depth on the line this year? Do you think we could have used 5 more big bodies on the team? If you buy 5 more lottery tickets, maybe 1 or 2 of those kids will seize the opportunity and help you.

I happen to think with only a few players with eligibility that would expire at the end of the 2021 season, the coaches opted (not necessarily by choice) to leave some scholarships open so they could bring in a bigger 2022 class.

I'm not an expert on this, but I think losing a bunch of guys to transfer doesn't increase the maximum number of scholarships you can give out in 1 year. I think it's 25. Plus there's natural attrition every year.

To me, ours seems worse than average. It used to be around 5 guys or so who might not come back, due to accrual of injuries, having a degree, not making as big a mark as you hoped, etc. So that always happens.

But it seems like we are losing way too many guys. Of course new head coaches get rid of guys when they come in. And it was something like 20 of them with both Marrone and with Dino, as I recall. Then you need a couple classes to build up the numbers again to get to around 85.

Except that we never seem to get there. We never seem to have a deep team. Part of that is player retention and development. Other schools seem to do a better job holding on to players.

Are they “a bit too selective”? Probably not. The selection process cuts both ways. With so many young players in our two-deep, we may not be attractive to players who looking for playing time.

I would argue on the other hand that if the only incumbents are young, too, nobody has much of an advantage over anybody else. It's different trying to beat out a guy only 1 class ahead of you, as opposed to beating out an experienced upperclassman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom