DT Curtis Harper transferring to Akron | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

DT Curtis Harper transferring to Akron

I'm not an expert on this, but I think losing a bunch of guys to transfer doesn't increase the maximum number of scholarships you can give out in 1 year. I think it's 25. Plus there's natural attrition every year.

To me, ours seems worse than average. It used to be around 5 guys or so who might not come back, due to accrual of injuries, having a degree, not making as big a mark as you hoped, etc. So that always happens.

But it seems like we are losing way too many guys. Of course new head coaches get rid of guys when they come in. And it was something like 20 of them with both Marrone and with Dino, as I recall. Then you need a couple classes to build up the numbers again to get to around 85.

Except that we never seem to get there. We never seem to have a deep team. Part of that is player retention and development. Other schools seem to do a better job holding on to players.

I would argue on the other hand that if the only incumbents are young, too, nobody has much of an advantage over anybody else. It's different trying to beat out a guy only 1 class ahead of you, as opposed to beating out an experienced upperclassman.
The maximum scholarships allowed per class is 25. This year there is a waiver that allows schools who have a mass exodus to replace up to 7 transfers but that is only the case if with a full class they don't go over the maximum allowed total scholarships of 85. The current count for SU, as of today, of returnees is 66. Current class of commits is 10. Nine available scholarships for this class. Plus there is always the option to give one of the PWOs on the team a scholarship.

Reactions: 007
I will say the kids today are far different then kids even 20 years ago, lots of me me me and everybody needs instant gratification.
09A0DAB9-9650-4BCF-8F87-AD8EC4D0DEBF.jpeg

I honestly kinda feel bad for coaches it has to be enraging to work hard develop a kid and still have to recruit them the entire time there here.. although I understand coaches have been abandoning kids for better jobs for a long time

How's our depth on the line this year? Do you think we could have used 5 more big bodies on the team? If you buy 5 more lottery tickets, maybe 1 or 2 of those kids will seize the opportunity and help you.
Not great and they need as many players possible to help them win. They dont win consistently so obviously they are missing pieces. Cuse coaches buy lottory tickets just like everyone else. Its a cool reference but its not the same thing. There's limits to the amount of tickets they can buy and these lottery tickets can cause harm to the program if you dont properly do your ground work. Now what does your questions have to do with top transfers turning them down?

Too much rational thought here.

(Thank you)
Replace them with what? That is the big question. Maybe I’m naive, but I have not heard of any other college football teams that are losing so many players that start or actually play in games. Coach Babers better start hitting the portal or we may not have a team on the field next year.

At some point some of you have to realize the different ways a player could be told to explore his options. The portal will be used to bring in players. Some of you act like they aren’t going to replace these guys.

Hopefully the football team replaces the players that leave better than the basketball team did

Last edited:
Hopefully the football team replaces the players leave better than the basketball team did
Hopefully but it takes time to gel with multiple transfers. It's easy to comment off the last two games. The way they started last year, I didnt think they would make the tournament or get to the sweet16.

Replace them with what? That is the big question. Maybe I’m naive, but I have not heard of any other college football teams that are losing so many players that start or actually play in games. Coach Babers better start hitting the portal or we may not have a team on the field next year.
There's a lot. Just check the twitter transfer portal each day. You will see a lot with decent stats leaving their teams. Some teams best players. Its hard to keep up with it honestly. https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal

Last edited:
So you could play the last game of the year...
So you can help the team make a bowl (possibly)'''
other than that, no reason at all

3) You’re so upset about not getting run in the last game that you walk away. #AdditionBySubtraction

There's a lot. Just check the twitter transfer portal each day. You will see a lot with decent stats leaving their teams. Some teams best players. Its hard to keep up with it honestly. https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal

It would be nice to see a few of them tweeting that they’re blessed to receive an offer from the University of Syracuse.

The maximum scholarships allowed per class is 25. This year there is a waiver that allows schools who have a mass exodus to replace up to 7 transfers but that is only the case if with a full class they don't go over the maximum allowed total scholarships of 85. The current count for SU, as of today, of returnees is 66. Current class of commits is 10. Nine available scholarships for this class. Plus there is always the option to give one of the PWOs on the team a scholarship.

That's an example of the rules not catching up to the changing situation, (caused by changes of other rules). Since teams will be losing players to the transfer portal now, they ought to be able to take in equal number of transfers and have that separate from the 25 player limit that was designed to apply to high school recruits.

That's an example of the rules not catching up to the changing situation, (caused by changes of other rules). Since teams will be losing players to the transfer portal now, they ought to be able to take in equal number of transfers and have that separate from the 25 player limit that was designed to apply to high school recruits.

That's too sensible, SWC. They'll never go for it!

Brandon Jacobs!!!
I was looking to see if anyone was going to make the comment. Brandon Jacobs, one of my favorite players, guy was awesome for a 4 year stretch or so.

Might stay "home" if he gets an offer from Lock Haven or Shippensburg

The 25 limit does not just apply to high school recruits. It's High School players and transfers, grad or underclassmen.

Now I know that I have no way to prove this and don't want to reveal my source, but I was just told by a former player (graduated 2019) that there is a very big number of former and current players who do not like Dino and do not believe in him. Obviously not shocking news, but still not good at all. This program is broken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom