Class of 2015 - DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DT Steven Clark (AL) Signed LOI

I finally had an opportunity to watch his film and damn that was impressive. I just don't understand how a kid like this doesn't have far more opportunities then he does, especially the part of the country he is from? I am guessing a lot has to do with the school he is currently at, but I still find it odd? Kind of reminds me of Jalen Harvey the kid that committed from Alabama last year. He was an under recruited kid, who went on and dominated at the Alabama-Georgia all star game against SEC OL and DL. Will be interesting to see if Clark made this game, and how he does.

Also, he looks a hell of a lot faster then a 5.31 40yard dash that is listed on his hudl.

I don't think Steven will be invited to any of those all star games. His school is pretty small, and very new. Also, the football team hasn't won more than 3 games in a year since the school came into being back in 2006. For the most part, nobody outside of our immediate area even knows we exist.

I've been told by some that a big reason why Steven has been under the radar is because of the fact his school is so new and that the team, quite frankly, as a whole, isn't that good. The fact that Syracuse has taken a shining to him is simply amazing.

Steven's 40 time is a bit better now than it was at the NFTC. He's shaved about 0.25 seconds of his time, now averaging about 5.1 seconds. He ran a few hand-timed 4.9s at camps, the last one at the Arkansas State camp back in late June. I want to say he ran a 5.05 at the Memphis camp. At the time, he weighed roughly 290. Also, his shuttle run usually is in the 4.6-4.7 range.

Steven's also pretty strong. He took first place overall in his weight class at the non-sanctioned Alabama State High School Power Lifting tournament held in April. He won with a 380 lbs bench, a 540 lbs squat, and a 285 lbs clean. Don't know why there was a clean instead of a dead lift. His dead lift, btw, is just under 500 lbs, last I saw.

I don't think Steven will be invited to any of those all star games. His school is pretty small, and very new. Also, the football team hasn't won more than 3 games in a year since the school came into being back in 2006. For the most part, nobody outside of our immediate area even knows we exist.

I've been told by some that a big reason why Steven has been under the radar is because of the fact his school is so new and that the team, quite frankly, as a whole, isn't that good. The fact that Syracuse has taken a shining to him is simply amazing.

Steven's 40 time is a bit better now than it was at the NFTC. He's shaved about 0.25 seconds of his time, now averaging about 5.1 seconds. He ran a few hand-timed 4.9s at camps, the last one at the Arkansas State camp back in late June. I want to say he ran a 5.05 at the Memphis camp. At the time, he weighed roughly 290. Also, his shuttle run usually is in the 4.6-4.7 range.

Steven's also pretty strong. He took first place overall in his weight class at the non-sanctioned Alabama State High School Power Lifting tournament held in April. He won with a 380 lbs bench, a 540 lbs squat, and a 285 lbs clean. Don't know why there was a clean instead of a dead lift. His dead lift, btw, is just under 500 lbs, last I saw.
Same problem we have with Shy. Mass schools are pretty much ignored for football aside from new England schools like BC. We were very excited when we heard from places like syracuse. Having a high school coach that's new hurts also. No connections to colleges. Kids like ours have no way of being seen without self promotion. Then you get the schools that show intrest and the forum asks... What's wrong with this kid he has no offers from anyone else. Just have to get him in the team and show the world what they got on the big stage.

Same problem we have with Shy. Mass schools are pretty much ignored for football aside from new England schools like BC. We were very excited when we heard from places like syracuse. Having a high school coach that's new hurts also. No connections to colleges. Kids like ours have no way of being seen without self promotion. Then you get the schools that show intrest and the forum asks... What's wrong with this kid he has no offers from anyone else. Just have to get him in the team and show the world what they got on the big stage.

Totally understand. I mean, let's face it, Steven's school isn't Hoover, Shades Valley, Bob Jones, Vestavia Hills, Southside, etc. Those schools have the visibility and the resources to really help those who have ability. Some of the smaller schools, e.g. Madison Academy, are very similar in resources and visibility.

Anyways, the players at these top-tier schools have the advantage of being a "Hoover"; the press coverage, and the coaches with developed relationships.

Totally understand. I mean, let's face it, Steven's school isn't Hoover, Shades Valley, Bob Jones, Vestavia Hills, Southside, etc. Those schools have the visibility and the resources to really help those who have ability. Some of the smaller schools, e.g. Madison Academy, are very similar in resources and visibility.

Anyways, the players at these top-tier schools have the advantage of being a "Hoover"; the press coverage, and the coaches with developed relationships.

We have a nice history of taking guys like Arthur & Chandler Jones (Binghamton NY - not known for HS FB) and Dwight Freeney (CT) and turning them into stars.

What's Dinosaur BBQ? If it's s pant-load of pork smoked for 3 days, I'm sure it'll be awesome =D

Dinosaur BBQ is one of Syracuse's greatest assets.

dinosaur-bbq.jpeg

dinosaur_barbque_outside_hogs_p1.jpg

McD still recruiting for us is so ironic in many, many ways.
It kills me that so many people were saying McDonald had stopped recruiting after he was demoted and there was no evidence of that. That was an undeserved knock against his character. Just because he was not a good OC, doesn't mean he lacks integrity or professionalism.

This thread needs a bump and needs to be intertwined with the Dunkleberger thread. So that Mr. Bam, Mr. Cub, and Mrs. Kelly can enjoy the recruiting process and gush over their sons together. It would be pretty neat to see them all go for SU as I am selfishly, in a small outsider kind of way, enjoying the recruiting process together. It is fascinating to get such a prospective on recruiting and our coaches. From the outside they seem like "heck of a guy's" and seems that the outside reflects the in.

How are things going with your boy Cub?
syracuse-sunrise-over-the-dome-everet-regal.jpg

This thread needs a bump and needs to be intertwined with the Dunkleberger thread. So that Mr. Bam, Mr. Cub, and Mrs. Kelly can enjoy the recruiting process and gush over their sons together. It would be pretty neat to see them all go for SU as I am selfishly, in a small outsider kind of way, enjoying the recruiting process together. It is fascinating to get such a prospective on recruiting and our coaches. From the outside they seem like "heck of a guy's" and seems that the outside reflects the in.

Love this picture memcorsu

Steven's sitting next to me in the living room waiting for the game to start. We're catching the end of the Nebraska - Minnesota game. Wife's out clothes shopping for the trip up there this Friday. All in all, a good day =D

This has been one of the best recruiting classes to follow through the process. Not only do we get a little inside look that we would normally never see, but each kid we are bringing in seem like high character people as well!

It's fun watching film on all 3 of these recruits and they seem to be cut from the same cloth. Suffice to say, I don't expect to ever see any of them quitting on a play before the whistle of getting out worked in the weight room or on the field. Players like this become crowd favorites instantly and forever more.

Art Jones - lifting the entire weight room = Fan fav, NFL
Shamarko Thomas - pushing cars all over campus, running hills, lefting the weight room = Fan fav, NFL
Dorian Graham - athletic freak, weight room warrior = fan fav
Macky MacPherson - Initially undersized, weight room warrior - fan fav
Dwight Freeney - under recruited, athletic freak, weight room warrior = Fan fav, all american, NFL pro bowler, future NFL HOF

Freeney was under recruited?

He was "too small" and from Connecticut which isn't considered a main area for D1 talent.

He was still considered too small by some NFL execs after peeling off a 4.48 40 and doing 28 reps at the combine following his 17.5 sack all american senior season.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he still comes back to Syracuse to workout every off season (or at least did).

He was "too small" and from Connecticut which isn't considered a main area for D1 talent.

He was still considered too small by some NFL execs after peeling off a 4.48 40 and doing 28 reps at the combine following his 17.5 sack all american senior season.

Others please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he still comes back to Syracuse to workout every off season.
That he does!
http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bil...cuse_dwight_freeney_carrier_dome_loudest.html
1079349493_2303225814001_vs-516c6a72e4b055f112648af1-782203295001.jpg

Others please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he still comes back to Syracuse to workout every off season (or at least did).
It is not an exaggeration to say that on top of all those sacks - there were at least 30-40 holding calls (obvious holding) that were never called in his senior year.

It is not an exaggeration to say that on top of all those sacks - there were at least 30-40 holding calls (obvious holding) that were never called in his senior year.

Was a different sport back then w/ players getting away with a bit more. I still see way too many holds but see more flags as well.

Funny thing is, the oline probably attempted, and failed, to hold him on a lot of those sacks. He was the guy that O coordinators planned for his senior season... and still had 17.5 sacks through holds, double teams, etc.