Duke 2015 Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Duke 2015 Recruiting

Dave85

Living Legend
Duke just got their second five star player for 2015. They now have 2 top 20 players in the 2015 recruiting class. They have one more spot open for 2015 and will most likely land another 4.7 to 5 star rated player. Between the 2014 class coming in and the 2015 class, Duke is going to be whole lot of talent on the court. The only solace I can't take from this latest development is seeing Louisville eat some humble pie.

Duke just got their second five star player for 2015. They now have 2 top 20 players in the 2015 recruiting class. They have one more spot open for 2015 and will most likely land another 4.7 to 5 star rated player. Between the 2014 class coming in and the 2015 class, Duke is going to be whole lot of talent on the court. The only solace I can't take from this latest development is seeing Louisville eat some humble pie.
The solace I take is that if our recruits were committing to Duke, they would be top 20 recruits in their class as well

Just because they have 4 or 5 stars doesn't mean they'll be guaranteed world beaters when they get to Duke. K has had some VERY overrated players in his time there including a few McD AA's that should have been covered by the State's Lemon Laws.

The ratings are just numbers. See UK.

How many NC's do they have? How many do we have? People are confused by statistics. Outliers do not invalidate the trend. You don't need unanimity to have validity. Ratings are not meaningless numbers.

K has committed to taking one-and-dones the last few years. Coincidentally or not, Duke has gone out in the first round twice in the last three years.

Good point... you know its a rough stretch going elite 8, final 4, natl champ, nit, runner up.

just for comparisons sake:

cuse has gone sweet 16, 2nd round, elite 8, final 4, 2nd round in our best 5 year stretch in program history.

K has committed to taking one-and-dones the last few years. Coincidentally or not, Duke has gone out in the first round twice in the last three years.

I tend to lean on the side of having senior leadership makes a much better team. I thought Scoop mentoring Dion was fun and interesting to watch.

Good point... you know its a rough stretch going elite 8, final 4, natl champ, nit, runner up.

Exactly. It's no guarantee you're going to win the whole thing. Perhaps i should have used UNC as an example. Or KU. Regardless, we won with one guy who was a consensus 4-5 star recruit and a bunch of other guys who were listed as three stars, at best. Duke can have a roster full of 5-star players. It doesn't mean they really are 5-star players or that they will excel in K's system. And it does not guarantee a ring. Eric Boateng was no where near the 4-5 star guy he was advertised as. Neither was Paulus for that matter.

Statistics is about probabilities. there is a difference between probabilities and certainties.
I'll try restating it differently. In any given year a team of 4 star players could do better than a team of 5 star players; but over the long-run, teams of random five star players will have a better record than teams of random 4 star players. All the pointing to exceptions does absolutely nothing to change the probabilities.

It's definitely true that the rankings are just rankings, they don't mean everything when the kids come to college. But I feel like we never hear that when we land highly rated guys

Duke has had some defensive problems the last few years. Lets not forget they were also playing Louisville toe to toe much of the E8 game last year even with the Ware injury emotional lift to Louisville.

No denying they have had some real offensive studs coming in with Parker and now Okafor and Jones. Next year more lottery picks coming in. I will be expecting F4 appearances sometime in the near future. They need better PG play though.

Duke can't guard the ball. They don't help off the ball. Until K makes adjustments on that end, I think they still will have those issues in this day of cracking down on handchecking and freedom of movement.

Malachi is better than their top 20 5 star guard Kennard. I think LVille's latest commit Donovan Mitchell is better than him as well and he was rated a 3 star before blowing up last month.

The tournament is a crap shoot*

*but only when syracuse bows out early. For other teams it's the final word on the worth of their coaches and/or recruits. The smaller the sample size, the better.

Duke can't guard the ball. They don't help off the ball. Until K makes adjustments on that end, I think they still will have those issues in this day of cracking down on handchecking and freedom of movement.
Bulletin board material.

PeteCalvin said:
Just because they have 4 or 5 stars doesn't mean they'll be guaranteed world beaters when they get to Duke. K has had some VERY overrated players in his time there including a few McD AA's that should have been covered by the State's Lemon Laws. The ratings are just numbers. See UK.

No system is perfect. Some 4-5 star players will bomb. Some 3 stars will be studs. Some JB recruits that everyone thinks will be great, won't be. Same with Shafer recruits. Some NFL and some NBA 1st round picks will flop. Some 2nd round NBA picks will become starters. Some NFL low round picks will become all pro.

Stars, coaches, professional GMs, aren't perfect. There is no guaranteed system of assessing potential at another level.

But it's in the law of averages and not the one offs. Give me a team of 4-5 star basketball players and you take a team of 3 stars. I'll kick your arse 90% of the time and have a much better tournament record over time.

Malachi is better than their top 20 5 star guard Kennard. I think LVille's latest commit Donovan Mitchell is better than him as well and he was rated a 3 star before blowing up last month.

There's no question the ranking system has some bias. But some of it is based on stats and kind of assumes kids at HS level are pretty equal around the country (which is probably true for the most part).

For me personally, I like the 2, 3, and 4 year players. After you follow a player's career for a while you appreciate their successes.

For me, I'll take JB's judgment on the players he is able to bring to Syracuse. I doubt he looks very hard at any of the rating services or cares what they say when he makes his choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom