Duke Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

I went back and watched last night… Fig caused like 4 or 5 turnovers and was credited with 1. Best he’s looked in orange by a lot
100 percent. Not sure who does the stats but they need to go back and fix it.

They gave Trujillo the CTO in that clip. They also missed a GB that Trujillo had in the middle of the field. Not sure how that was missed.

How big of a recruiting bump did we get off this win? None? Minimal? Some? So/so? A lot?

How big of a recruiting bump did we get off this win? None? Minimal? Some? So/so? A lot?

Haha, probably too soon to tell. Who knows if kids will still be thinking of this game come September 1st? I have to imagine it helps that SU plays so many games when no one else is and is getting loads of social media attention for it. Playing on Memorial Day weekend will definitely be a boon to recruiting.

Syracuse moved up to #6 in the RPI (from about #9 I think).

The Top Ten is
1. Yale
2. Penn St
3. Army
4. Denver
5. Notre Dame
6. Syracuse
7. Virginia
8. Hopkins
9. Cornell
10. Duke

12. Maryland
14. Colgate
24. UNC
27. Delaware
31. Utah
34. High Point
35. Vermont
49. Hobart
63. LeMoyne
64. Manhattan

I actually said something similar to my friend this morning. This game definitely did not hurt the perception of the program along with the Hopkins and Maryland games. Our fanbase shows up and is very loud for big games.

i at first wasn’t crazy bout big games shortly after avg game or what not. But seems hasn’t hurt us maby even benefits us as guys stay focus and in rhythm.
This team just keeps improving each game. Their confidence is high and everyone is feeding off eachother. The guys in early slumps are all playing well now. Hopefully they keep improving like Coach Gait said as they haven't reached where they wanna go. If they do keep improving then those goals can be achieved for sure. It's exciting as a fan to watch them grow each game. The sky is the limit.

This team just keeps improving each game. Their confidence is high and everyone is feeding off eachother. The guys in early slumps are all playing well now. Hopefully they keep improving like Coach Gait said as they haven't reached where they wanna go. If they do keep improving then those goals can be achieved for sure. It's exciting as a fan to watch them grow each game. The sky is the limit.
There is no question that this is the best the team has looked since our shortened 2020 season when we were strong up and down the roster. This team arguably has more talent at the skill positions on offense and more depth. Odierna seems to be what the team has needed since 2021. If they can continue to play at this level, a final four position is realistic for sure.

To me, the road game in Notre Dame on Mar 30 will confirm for everyone where the program is. If we are highly competitive and even lose by a goal, it will confirm we have truly arrived. I view ND and UVA as the best teams until proven otherwise and ND has been our nemesis with ugly games going back to 2019. ND is strong at every position and they will have looked at our recent film and be pumped up on their home field. My only reason for not being fully convinced that the sky is the limit is that Duke was not firing on all cylinders yesterday - for sure how we played was critical but scoring only 4 goals with their talent also means they had an off night IMO.

As for Will Mark, last night is an excellent example of how difficult goalie comparisons can be. Mark had an elite D in front of him for the first time since he arrived here. Who's to say he isn't just as good or better than Entenmann who has played behind an elite D for years.

Another great win! Great playing and coaching. We’re rolling! It’s been 11 long years (except for the covid season in ‘20 when maybe we could have made a run), but maybe this is finally our year to make it back to the Final Four?!

When Hiltz is engaged and plays like he cares, then he’s the catalyst for this team. Not sure where he’s been since his freshman season, but he looks great again these past 3 games! He has such a great wrist shot.

Mark is playing at an All American level again, so that’s obviously been Huge for our team. The D has also been great, and Hottle is holding his own as our 2nd SSDM. Told you guys that he could do it. Great feet! Rice is a stud, but the 2nd SSDM position has been our weak link until recently.

Spallina still can’t get past an elite defender, but I also told you guys that they should set more picks for him at X to at least get him free to pass for assists. That’s exactly what they’re doing. He has elite vision as a passer.

I don’t think we’re going to lose because of our Face Off team, so that’s huge for us. Can’t they just eliminate Face Offs anyways?! Can I just say how much I LOVE the shot clock!!! If only it had been used in the 90s, then we probably could have beaten more of those damn Princeton teams who just stalled for minutes upon minutes…

Notre Dame and Virginia still scare me, but, hey, at least we’re relevant again and we’ll be back in the playoffs!

I don’t think we’re going to lose because of our Face Off team, so that’s huge for us. Can’t they just eliminate Face Offs anyways?! Can I just say how much I LOVE the shot clock!!! If only it had been used in the 90s, then we probably could have beaten more of those damn Princeton teams who just stalled for minutes upon minutes…
Absolutely would have beat Maryland during the worst lacrosse game ever played in 2011!

What an improvement to the game to have it. The second reset to make it 60 is also a great innovation and really helps as well!

There is no question that this is the best the team has looked since our shortened 2020 season when we were strong up and down the roster. This team arguably has more talent at the skill positions on offense and more depth. Odierna seems to be what the team has needed since 2021. If they can continue to play at this level, a final four position is realistic for sure.

To me, the road game in Notre Dame on Mar 30 will confirm for everyone where the program is. If we are highly competitive and even lose by a goal, it will confirm we have truly arrived. I view ND and UVA as the best teams until proven otherwise and ND has been our nemesis with ugly games going back to 2019. ND is strong at every position and they will have looked at our recent film and be pumped up on their home field. My only reason for not being fully convinced that the sky is the limit is that Duke was not firing on all cylinders yesterday - for sure how we played was critical but scoring only 4 goals with their talent also means they had an off night IMO.

As for Will Mark, last night is an excellent example of how difficult goalie comparisons can be. Mark had an elite D in front of him for the first time since he arrived here. Who's to say he isn't just as good or better than Entenmann who has played behind an elite D for years.
Yeah I agree when u have an elite D in front of u they force the other team into taking bad shots. Big difference when a team is forcing shots to a team getting wide open step downs or wide open in front of the crease finishes. Will held his own thru out his college career not having an elite D and getting peppered all game with guys firing open shots at him. Yes Duke was off last night but that defense was swarming them non stop all game long and helped throw them off of their game. O'Neil was flustered and forcing shots which were all over the place. Guys couldn't beat there man one on one and u can see them frustrated. I really hope the D has confidence now and plays at a high level the rest of the way. They showed they have the ability now and the coach to do it. If so we will see the best of Will Mark too I believe. The kid is talented.

Styling & profiling!

I ran into Gary Gait at the Express Premiere in 2008 at the Landmark Theater...he looks like a different man now with the new ric flair hair. My friends were getting their picture taken with actors and I went for the best lacrosse player of all time. I think Gary respected that I knew who he was at that time!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_170520_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_170520_Facebook.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 35
I was amazed at the team defense the Syracuse team showed last night. But I'm also puzzled and I'm looking for insights from those with a higher lax IQ than mine. Why did the slides last night look perfectly timed when, in the past, the same slides seem to open up offensive opportunities? Last year it felt like such slides resulted in "time and room." What was the difference? Well-timed secondary slides? Duke midfielders that lacked resourcefulness? An improved team defensive concept? Faster and more aggressive poles? Obviously, it helps to have a goalie as locked in as Will Mark. Nevertheless, the difference between last night and the defense in games just a few weeks ago seems phenomenal. Looking for help in understanding.

I was amazed at the team defense the Syracuse team showed last night. But I'm also puzzled and I'm looking for insights from those with a higher lax IQ than mine. Why did the slides last night look perfectly timed when, in the past, the same slides seem to open up offensive opportunities? Last year it felt like such slides resulted in "time and room." What was the difference? Well-timed secondary slides? Duke midfielders that lacked resourcefulness? An improved team defensive concept? Faster and more aggressive poles? Obviously, it helps to have a goalie as locked in as Will Mark. Nevertheless, the difference between last night and the defense in games just a few weeks ago seems phenomenal. Looking for help in understanding.

Just my opinion but outside of the first quarter (where I thought the midfield defense was struggling) as a unit they mostly clamped down well. I can't explain exactly why, but yes they were timing slides well, and more importantly I thought they were executing many opportunities in which you see the players number on the jersey you go perfectly (even Kol had some nicely timed slides) I also thought they recovered well as a unit last night if there was a breakdown.

I will also add I think maybe you're seeing a unit that's getting comfortable in the new DC's system and I think top recruits like Dwan and Riley are playing really well. I think it's easy to forget that Riley is really a freshman out there and while he certainly hasn't been below par, I think the past few games he's really hitting his stride out there.

Just my opinion but outside of the first quarter (where I thought the midfield defense was struggling) as a unit they mostly clamped down well. I can't explain exactly why, but yes they were timing slides well, and more importantly I thought they were executing many opportunities in which you see the players number on the jersey you go perfectly (even Kol had some nicely timed slides) I also thought they recovered well as a unit last night if there was a breakdown.

I will also add I think maybe you're seeing a unit that's getting comfortable in the new DC's system and I think top recruits like Dwan and Riley are playing really well. I think it's easy to forget that Riley is really a freshman out there and while he certainly hasn't been below par, I think the past few games he's really hitting his stride out there.
Odierna, and many new school defensive co-ordinators, are known for giving players more freedom to read and react based on principles, rather than rules.

Allows players to make fast decisions based on concepts, rather than look for markers on the field to follow a specific rule set.

In essence: simple is fast, fast is good. Where we used to hesitate on the second slide, we are now looking to be play-makers and live with mistakes.

Lacrosse offenses moved away from tightly constrained systems a few years ago, and defense is now doing the same… Odierna is and has been at the cutting edge of this movement.

Syracuse moved up to #6 in the RPI (from about #9 I think).

The Top Ten is
1. Yale
2. Penn St
3. Army
4. Denver
5. Notre Dame
6. Syracuse
7. Virginia
8. Hopkins
9. Cornell
10. Duke

12. Maryland
14. Colgate
24. UNC
27. Delaware
31. Utah
34. High Point
35. Vermont
49. Hobart
63. LeMoyne
64. Manhattan
Can someone explain how Yale has the #1 RPI and SOS?

Can someone explain how Yale has the #1 RPI and SOS?
Yale's record is 4-1 or 80% and the record of its opponents is 29-9 or 76%. That's 75% of the RPI. In contrast, although Syracuse's record is also 80% at 8-2, the record of its opponents is 46-32 or only about 59%. The 3rd element of RPI, or 25%, is the record of your opponents' opponents. It's an element that the NCAA LAX Selection Committee uses to compare schools. [The RPI is 25% your record, 50% your opponents record, and 25% the record of your opponents' opponents.]

Man some of hater who comment on inside lacrosse bout cuse keep moving the goal post now. First 1 said wouldn’t win acc game prove that wrong. Said cuse was overrated and couldn’t win big game prove that wrong. Now saying be lucky to even win two playoffs games or see how legit they are when go against ND. I don’t normally get into it with those kinds of people but really just want cuse to prove them all wrong so they can finally sit down n shut it. Outcome of Nd game or not this team is clearly top team and deserves some respect.

Man some of hater who comment on inside lacrosse bout cuse keep moving the goal post now. First 1 said wouldn’t win acc game prove that wrong. Said cuse was overrated and couldn’t win big game prove that wrong. Now saying be lucky to even win two playoffs games or see how legit they are when go against ND. I don’t normally get into it with those kinds of people but really just want cuse to prove them all wrong so they can finally sit down n shut it. Outcome of Nd game or not this team is clearly top team and deserves some respect.
Again perception. People don't think about the teams from 20 years ago when they think about SU now. SU has pretty much been an ACC doormat since joining the conference, especially Notre Dame which is funny because they didn't seem to have an issue with them when they played in the Big East. They've had some sparks like 2017 and 2018 not losing in conference play but take those two years out and they've only won 34% of their ACC conference games. All they can do is keep winning to change the perception.

That's a crazy stat for the man down defense, killing off almost 3/4s of the penalties. Still lots of lacrosse to be played but I wonder if other teams will start doing the same thing if the success continues.

Again perception. People don't think about the teams from 20 years ago when they think about SU now. SU has pretty much been an ACC doormat since joining the conference, especially Notre Dame which is funny because they didn't seem to have an issue with them when they played in the Big East. They've had some sparks like 2017 and 2018 not losing in conference play but take those two years out and they've only won 34% of their ACC conference games. All they can do is keep winning to change the perception.

That's a crazy stat for the man down defense, killing off almost 3/4s of the penalties. Still lots of lacrosse to be played but I wonder if other teams will start doing the same thing if the success continues.

I'm too lazy to look it up but I will trust your 34%. If my memory serves me, they did win the ACC in 2015/2016 as well, it's really been the last few years that has been a little rough. Virginia went through it from 2015 to 2018 and then rebounded nicely again, it can be done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Top Bottom