Duke is the worst | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Duke is the worst

I don’t hate them. Don’t like Grayson, that’s about it. Lots of times when their players get to the league I end up liking them a lot more too. Like Kyrie, or Tatum and Kennard from last year. Bagley seems like a good kid too and is an absolute monster.

We got a kick out of the MSU board posts...some of the comments in this thread are pretty similar...so some of you hate kids and hate a guy that HCJB is best friends with because they win for the most part. Ummmm...ok. To be clear I am a Cuse fan and if my son went to Duke, played for coach K (who may go down in history as one of the best coaches to ever coach in college) and was to get a degree from Duke I would be more than happy. Some of you people go a bit over the edge with this stuff...Really...when Graysen hits floor its a punk move but if it was Eric Devendorf you would be like “Love this kids attitude, he is tough as nails”!. Whatever...Cuse made a completely unexpected run in the NCAA...it was house money...they lost and the future looks great. Moving on...

K is arguably the best basketball coach ever.

What I loathe about Duke is their overblown incredulity when called for a foul.

This is straight from K and his approach to the game (and how he manages refs during games).

I’ve seen JB gesticulate over a questionable call (and also shout BS) but I’ve also seen him nod understandingly when a ref tells him what he saw.

K has none of that; and his players push that right up to the line every game.

To me it’s obnoxious that a team so loaded with talent carries itself in that manner toward officiating.

I understand many call that gamesmanship or good strategy but I’ve never liked it in any sport.

K is arguably the best basketball coach ever.

What I loathe about Duke is their overblown incredulity when called for a foul.

This is straight from K and his approach to the game (and how he manages refs during games).

I’ve seen JB gesticulate over a questionable call (and also shout BS) but I’ve also seen him nod understandingly when a ref tells him what he saw.

K has none of that; and his players push that right up to the line every game.

To me it’s obnoxious that a team so loaded with talent carries itself in that manner toward officiating.

I understand many call that gamesmanship or good strategy but I’ve never liked it in any sport.
This is well stated.

We got a kick out of the MSU board posts...some of the comments in this thread are pretty similar...so some of you hate kids and hate a guy that HCJB is best friends with because they win for the most part. Ummmm...ok. To be clear I am a Cuse fan and if my son went to Duke, played for coach K (who may go down in history as one of the best coaches to ever coach in college) and was to get a degree from Duke I would be more than happy. Some of you people go a bit over the edge with this stuff...Really...when Graysen hits floor its a punk move but if it was Eric Devendorf you would be like “Love this kids attitude, he is tough as nails”!. Whatever...Cuse made a completely unexpected run in the NCAA...it was house money...they lost and the future looks great. Moving on...
The way this works is we're the good guys and everyone else sucks.

That's it.

K’s attention to detail and situational basketball is impressive

Oh come on, some thought Devo was a punk and got tarred & feathered for it. See the Howard thread for how criticizing one of our own is received by the cheerleading Mafia here.

Good for them not having rampant floppers this year for a change - if that turns into a trend rather than the exception then great. But when Winslow bulldozes a Wiscy defender who is set for an hour it's a block (after K complains to Tracy Wolfson about calls at halftime which hardly any coach does). Overall the entitlement is, amazing.
But ya the winning with 7 of the top 5 kids in every class is part of it too.
Over the edge? Idk it's sports and this is a board for diehards, I'm not pulling the fire alarm in Omaha.

I don't hate them and at least we play some great games against them... I don't know what our problem is with UNC.

During the Michigan State game, I remember absolutely loathing everything about Izzo and their players. I didn't get that feeling last night.

The floor slap was super douchey, especially since it was coming off of them going up 4 due to a questionable no call travel, but for the time being, I hate teams like Kentucky, Michigan State and I'm starting to hate Nova and their wanna-be Golden State Warriors gameplan of shooting 80 threes every game. I don't really hate Duke.

Last edited:
The older I get, the less I like guys games like Allen. I think he's just ultra competitive and arrogant, a tough combo for a lot of people to like.

Nolan Smith looked like an idiot on the bench with that suit. There’s something to hate.

That was Nolan Smith? I thought it was David S. Pumpkins.

Allen's a pretty special talent. I don't think you just replace that.
Yup, real artist with his legs and hips. Could show soccer guys how to tackle and flop

I disagree. Yeah, they usually have a guy or two that's especially dislikeable, but as a whole there's nothing to hate. I respect the hell out of Coach K.

Last night was as painless a loss to duke as possible especially because Allen did not do much but I most certainly do not respect the hell out of coach K. Way back when he handled that handsborough situation so poorly and he continues to show himself a fake good guy, you knew the minute Allen hip checked the unc player that he would minimize it and pretend it was just basketball and that’s just what he did.

Last night was as painless a loss to duke as possible especially because Allen did not do much but I most certainly do not respect the hell out of coach K. Way back when he handled that handsborough situation so poorly and he continues to show himself a fake good guy, you knew the minute Allen hip checked the unc player that he would minimize it and pretend it was just basketball and that’s just what he did.
The hip check was such a non-issue. Would you rather a coach not protect his player?

I don't love K, I think he is a bit fake, but the over the top Grayson Allen hate is becoming a bit much and if Allen played for Syracuse, I'd expect JB to stand up for him and protect a kid from constant outside ridicule.

Right. There’s just no way a player should get away with that kind of nonsense over and over. Once? A kid makes a mistake. Twice? The kid needs a talking to. Repeatedly? It’s on the coach to take care of business.

The hip check was such a non-issue. Would you rather a coach not protect his player?

I don't love K, I think he is a bit fake, but the over the top Grayson Allen hate is becoming a bit much and if Allen played for Syracuse, I'd expect JB to stand up for him and protect a kid from constant outside ridicule.

Neither us nor anyone else wants a prolonged discussion on Grayson Allen but to put your non issue comment in context.

Allen has intentionally tried to trip another player on multiple occasions. And against unc he intentionally stuck out his his hip away from the play and caused another player to go flying through the air. Any of these plays could have caused an injury. No
one can possibly argue against any of that.

I don't like them because they openly cheat, and no one cares.

I respect Calipari more than Krzyzewski (which is not saying much). At least Cal does not pretend he is paragon of virtue like Coach K does.

If Frank Howard hip checked an opponent and JB stuck up for him there would be a 7 page thread discussing that we would never win anything with Frank because he isn't a real leader.

K’s attention to detail and situational basketball is impressive
I found Coach K's explanation interesting about his quick TO at the start of the 2nd half in our game:
"You could see. I coach `em, so I could see, they were real young. They had young looks."

Maybe K is FoS, and maybe the TO didn't make a difference.
Or maybe K was trying to one-up JB's quick TO at the start of the 2nd half against ASU.
For the record, JB's TO was at 18:31, K's was at 18:57.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom