Duke Thoughts... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judah and JJ are not great compliments to each other. Is what it is. If we had Jesse it would be a whole different team. But glad girard moved on.

If one of our forwards was a legit threat from three, then it would open more driving lanes for JJ and Judah, even when they're playing together.

Last edited:
Duke played their best half of basketball in the 2nd half that they will literally play all year. That’s the absolute best they can possibly play. Total outlier. I hope it pisses off this SU team and they come back stronger. I saw a competitive SU squad that played poorly but has some bright spots, then Duke got extremely hot and it was all she wrote.

I’m not going to place any emphasis on the final score of this game. It’s what happens when a team plays lights out for a half vs a team that didn’t have their A game.
Totally agree with this. This looked like a team that was much less willing to accept a loss than teams in the recent past. I like this group, even with all the flaws. They're fun.

Too many unforced errors.
Taylor, Bell didn't contribute much if anything.
Nobody shot well.
Cope was sloppy with the ball.
Cuffe needed more minutes.
Still we played them even for 2/3rds of the game.
We are a good team that lacks outside shooting.

Just a few thoughts...

1. Too many fools here making over-arching comments. We were squarely in this game 12 minutes out.

2. JT and Bell are off the bench players. As starters, we're handicapping ourselves. That MUST change.

3. Maliq is -n-ubelieavble. He is so steady, productive, and talented.

4. This game doesn't matter as long as we win the next one.
That means nothing when you lose by 20. Teams that make the tournament need to COMPETE with good teams for 40 minutes, 28 means nothing. New Hampshire was within 6 with 10 minutes left, should they get a medal?

At halftime I was very concerned. Duke was in foul trouble and had 1 player carrying the team and we were
still behind. It's hard to win when 3 players (Mintz, Starling, and Brown) show up and play anywhere close to their abilities. 3 starters without a basket. Looks like this team will have a chance of beating the ACC middle and bottom of the league teams and get blown out by the upper tier teams.
really needed to build a lead with filipowski on the bench

if the guards wont shoot 3s...who will?

NOT Quadir...please

starting lineup needs to change...

cant keep starting non-factors out there...

really have a problem with the half-court offense - it's non-existent

Our inability to get Tucker or Bell shots needs to improve.
JJ and Q, even Benny are direct straight line attackers. They can’t be standing along w Judah after he switches the court. Feel like they can work with Bell and Tucker to make space. Coming off screens and the shooters can start flaring.

Just a few thoughts...

1. Too many fools here making over-arching comments. We were squarely in this game 12 minutes out.

2. JT and Bell are off the bench players. As starters, we're handicapping ourselves. That MUST change.

3. Maliq is effffffff-n-ubelieavble. He is so steady, productive, and talented.

4. This game doesn't matter as long as we win the next one.
Are you new here?

a team like Duke that simply does not turn the ball over will make it very hard for SU to win against them

half court offense is achilles heel

We threw this game away. Should have been up 10 in the 1st. Still might have lost by 10, but it would have been more interesting.

So much awful play starting 5 minutes into the 2nd, but this stands out.

It was our horrid shooting compared to Dukes torrid shooting.

It was our +6 in turnovers. Really too loosy goosy.

It was Dukes +7 in made FGs, 4 of them 3s.

It was Duke shooting 75% in the 2nd half.

It was the refs making so many ticky tack calls, eventually wetting whatever spark we had going.
Outside our top 2 scorers, we had 9, 6, 2, 2, 2, 1 & 0.
Duke had 17, 14, 12, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0 on that same metric.
Balanced scoring matters.

really needed to build a lead with filipowski on the bench

if the guards wont shoot 3s...who will?

NOT Quadir...please

starting lineup needs to change...

cant keep starting non-factors out there...

really have a problem with the half-court offense - it's non-existent
I felt Cuse could have built a halftime lead, but Red had McLeod and Bell on the floor way too much.

Duke played their best half of basketball in the 2nd half that they will literally play all year. That’s the absolute best they can possibly play. Total outlier. I hope it pisses off this SU team and they come back stronger. I saw a competitive SU squad that played poorly but has some bright spots, then Duke got extremely hot and it was all she wrote.

I’m not going to place any emphasis on the final score of this game. It’s what happens when a team plays lights out for a half vs a team that didn’t have their A game.
If Maui didn’t piss them off I doubt this will.

Too many unforced errors.
Taylor, Bell didn't contribute much if anything.
Nobody shot well.
Cope was sloppy with the ball.
Cuffe needed more minutes.
Still we played them even for 2/3rds of the game.
We are a good team that lacks outside shooting.

and a center, and one do-it-all forward.

We have the forward coming in next year. And a terrific shooting guard.

I hope we can get a good center from the portal.

This team will be pretty loaded next year, even without Judah. And they will all have a year together under their belt.

I'll add that Copeland has been terrific over a four to five game stretch, and he just didn't have it tonight. If he'd had 12 points (just for example) things might have unfolded differently. But he didn't, and it didn't..
Agree. That we’re relying on Q to be a crucial difference maker is part of our problem. I love his heart and hustle, but he’s a flawed player and not someone we can count on to bring an A game every night.

Honestly the only two guys I feel are consistent contributors are Judah and Maliq. Everyone else? Roulette every game.

Hard to win against good teams with that.

JJ and Q, even Benny are direct straight line attackers. They can’t be standing along w Judah after he switches the court. Feel like they can work with Bell and Tucker to make space. Coming off screens and the shooters can start flaring.

I think what they have to do is start Bell and Copeland at F, then substitute Benny and Taylor. Split up the shooters, so you at least have a rebounder out there who can get their own shot inside of 15 feet.

Our guys don't know how to win big games like this. For years we had a continuation of talent that experienced how to get it done. I hope Bell and Taylor can get something going soon.

This team will be pretty loaded next year, even without Judah. And they will all have a year together under their belt.
Is Judah entering the portal?

red's gotta recognize

Q was a huge liability all game

too many incomplete players on the roster (still)

same issue with JB's squads

this is at least a 2 year project

They are WAY ahead of where they were 6 weeks ago. We could have legitimately have 7 or 8 losses by now. Since Maui, and a couple Benny time-outs, they have become more of a coherent team.

Maliq Brown needs to have the ball more going forward.

Bottom line is we don't have enough offensive firepower to beat good teams. Moore and Freeman can’t get here soon enough.
The problem is Moore and Freeman aren’t replacements for JT and bell. We desperately need an impact stud forward from the portal.

Still need shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors