Duke Thoughts... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It comes down to talent. We will have problems with top tier teams until our team is made up of highly skilled top talent. This will take time. For now, I'm satisfied if we beat the teams we are supposed to beat (Colgate, Cornell etc.). Beat the lower tier ACC teams, and compete and win half the time against average ACC teams (category we are in). When it comes to the top tier talented teams and systems, we do not have a chance. So far, we are on track.

I am somewhat shocked that Taylor has looked so ineffective offensively. Having a tough time even getting his shot off.

He’s NEVER set.

Even times when he’s been given the ball at the line, and has a second to get his shot off, he’s not set when catching it.

It’s infuriating.

And then he does the dribble to nowhere thing, then passes it back to a teammate.

Add in missing FT’s, and - yiikes.

Both Benny & Cuffe shoulda gotten more minutes, given how utterly ineffective Bell & JT were.

For all the complaints about Q, JJ played about the emptiest 35 minutes: 9 points 3 rebounds, 3 TOs, no assists no steals.

Roster needs help.

Yeah he played the entire game. 3 points in the first half. 2 quick buckets in the second half for 7 points. Then literally did nothing until he hit a layup at the very very end.

This team needs to incorporate screening into the offense. We take too many difficult shots because we make things difficult.
I agree 1000%. Screening can get you points (see Mr. Brown). The shot selection is not only dreadful but obvious in that you can tell when Judah, Benny, JJ and Q are hell bent on taking a shot.

At times this team likes to share the ball but more often than not (even on fastbreak situations),, the person handling the ball going towards the rim is taking the shot.

Yes, stranding Starling on Filipowski in the 2nd half was screaming out for a quick switch from one of the forwards (like Benny), but they let him get posted up a number of times.
Not picking on Benny but he (and many others) seem to struggle in understanding the spacing and the timing required to provide help defense.

Would help if we ran plays, not defending Taylor’s poor play, but if it’s not on a fast break our offense just stalls. Whomever has the ball does a couple dribbles then drives three steps forward then brings it back then makes one more pass outside the three point line, then another drive, then who knows what happens. We don’t run plays.

Having a point guard who typically passes only when he is cut off after wasting 10 to 15 seconds doesn't help either. I think we have the most selfish point guard I have ever seen.
Either Taylor has been told not to shoot, which I highly doubt, or he's afraid to get his shot blocked. Get your shot blocked for crying out loud and you might get to the free throw line.

C’mon. Freeman is a stud forward. And our guards can’t shoot either.
I believe freeman is more of a power 4 than a stretch 3. Yes on the guards but at least we have more who can help out there.

This is a big off-season for red. Needs to have the talk with several players.

Would help if we ran plays, not defending Taylor’s poor play, but if it’s not on a fast break our offense just stalls. Whomever has the ball does a couple dribbles then drives three steps forward then brings it back then makes one more pass outside the three point line, then another drive, then who knows what happens. We don’t run plays.
To be fair, I noticed Red calling a bunch of plays and then the offense completely bungling them up with execution issues. Frequently terrible passes. Guys not sealing defenders. Fumbling passes. Etc. execution was piss poor.

Agree. That we’re relying on Q to be a crucial difference maker is part of our problem. I love his heart and hustle, but he’s a flawed player and not someone we can count on to bring an A game every night.

Honestly the only two guys I feel are consistent contributors are Judah and Maliq. Everyone else? Roulette every game.

Hard to win against good teams with that.
He literally cannot dribble or pass or shoot

Either Taylor has been told not to shoot, which I highly doubt, or he's afraid to get his shot blocked. Get your shot blocked for crying out loud and you might get to the free throw line.
Taylor’s shot is too slow - that’s why he doesn’t shoot. At least he has awareness of when not to shoot generally, unlike bell.

My favorite play was when the Duke player slid across the floor with the ball in front of the ref and our bench, everyone on the bench made the travel motion, the ref swallowed the whistle, and the ball went the other way for a three.

At that point, Duke was only up by 2 or 3, and that started the run.

Duke obviously made the shots.

But the lack of whistle there didn't help.
Yeah things sped up there, Bayside wasn't a happy man screaming.

Time for the Mcleod experiment to end. Start Brown and give Hima some run as the back up. Bell and Taylor look overwhelmed against peer comp or above. Bell especially seems lost. Neither can really create their own shot though Bell can get hot. This is where Westry's injury is a killer. Copeland is a roller coaster, some games against Pitt you play him 25+ mins, today would have been 5 if Bell or Brown could have done anything. Bottom line team needs more talent and roster has to turn over.
Agree with all this. I don't understand why we can't design actual plays for Bell and Taylor to create shot opportunities. One of the things I was looking forward to post-JB was an offense that wasn't predicated on individual guys having to essentially play 1 on 1 vs. the man guarding them.

We never actually set the screen…and when McLeod does he pops and we give him the ball 80 feet from the rim
On the positive end, nobody is guarding him up there so he doesn’t fumble it or turn it over. Should probably move him to 80 feet from the arena though for him to be most effective.

My thoughts are broader. They’re not about this game.

We used to be a power. We’re not anymore. Meanwhile, UConn is winning championships.

I hope Red can bring us back but it’s going to be hard in a conference built around UNC and Duke. We an ACC also ran. It’s sad, frustrating, and upsetting.

This team is fun, has shown glimpses, and can win some games. I will enjoy watching them play and hopefully do well.

I cannot wait for the day when we can rip Duke a new one. I hope it comes sooner than later. We’ve been getting slapped for too long.
Overreaction to Reds first year.

Time to start Brown, Cope and Williams. surprised this hasn't happened already. Rotate bench plays in as needed for rest and see who is effective for extended minutes. Oh and don't let Taylor guard centers.

For all the complaints about Q, JJ played about the emptiest 35 minutes: 9 points 3 rebounds, 3 TOs, no assists no steals.

Roster needs help.
Yep. He wasn’t great against Pittsburgh either. He’s the guy that was suppose to be option 1b. The other guys everyone seems to be complaining about were all projected as role players this year.

Having a point guard who typically passes only when he is cut off after wasting 10 to 15 seconds doesn't help either. I think we have the most selfish point guard I have ever seen.

this is why I liked Symir last season. Ran offense, was a distributor. Would rather have a pg that creates offense for others.

It comes down to talent. We will have problems with top tier teams until our team is made up of highly skilled top talent. This will take time. For now, I'm satisfied if we beat the teams we are supposed to beat (Colgate, Cornell etc.). Beat the lower tier ACC teams, and compete and win half the time against average ACC teams (category we are in). When it comes to the top tier talented teams and systems, we do not have a chance. So far, we are on track.

In years past, I'd be more excited about incremental improvement, but now with the transfer portal how it is, I just assume it's going to be 50% plus a new roster the following season and incremental improvement from the previous season is worthless.

Overreaction to Reds first year.
This is not an overreaction to Red’s first year. This is an accurate assessment of where the program stands. The turnaround cannot come fast enough as it’s been a long, slow decline. In no way am I putting this at Red’s feet, although I do believe there’s a lot to prove before he is crowned. Fact is, we’re pretty far off right now and knowing it’s going to take a while is frustrating. This will not be the last beat down we receive from Duke, UNC, et al any time soon. I wish the turnaround could be faster.

this is why I liked Symir last season. Ran offense, was a distributor. Would rather have a pg that creates offense for others.

I agree. Z Sims was a guard who I wished would shoot a little more but he helped us get to the championship game. This guard will probably never play in and NCAA tournament game unless his mindset changes.
It's tough to watch the constant NBA audition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom