Dungey I see becoming Andrew Robinson | Syracusefan.com

Dungey I see becoming Andrew Robinson

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
taking so many hits he is losing all confidence and moxie, bunny hop maneuver can't be far behind

Ugh I should have went to bed. Please go watch film on Robinson again. Dungey is 10 times better then he ever was.

Ugh I should have went to bed. Please go watch film on Robinson again. Dungey is 10 times better then he ever was.
He really isn't better than A-Rob was in 2007. That isn't a knock against Dungey; it's just that A-Rob looked pretty good in 2007.

He really isn't better than A-Rob was in 2007. That isn't a knock against Dungey; it's just that A-Rob looked pretty good in 2007.
He was okay sure, but overall Dungey much better.

He was okay sure, but overall Dungey much better.
I mean, Dungey's numbers this year are better, but we play a different system. I legitimately wonder whether Dungey will start over Culpepper next year because Dungey has just looked lost at times. He looks down his receivers and he refuses to throw the ball away.

This program has squandered a lot of QB talent over the years for various reasons. I think Perry Patterson had more to give than we got out of him. These guys get hit a lot, have poor coaching, then fall behind.

Just said the same thing to you in another thread. He is shell shocked

He looked like he was in the turtle mode right from the beginning. I did not like what I saw from him yesterday and I understand that the O-Line was no help what so ever but you're right he just looked so incredibly timid last night and was staring down his receivers as well.

This program has squandered a lot of QB talent over the years for various reasons. I think Perry Patterson had more to give than we got out of him. These guys get hit a lot, have poor coaching, then fall behind.
I actually laughed out loud when I read this post. Perry Patterson? Seriously?

He's reacted to pressure all year, the way he did last night. It's almost like he's looking down the field and moving in the "pocket" but as soon as there is a legitimate threat and he recognizes it, he freezes. He's done it all year and he didn't last year. Interesting at least.

iluvmygrands, is that you?

taking so many hits he is losing all confidence and moxie, bunny hop maneuver can't be far behind

ah the bunny hop... Never saw it before Perry Patterson, never saw it after Arob.

Weirdest football thing of all time.

Numbers are masking the fact that ED (IMHO) is not improving at the rate expected. He has to overcome some team shortcomings but he is contributing to the problems as well.

Dungey is good. When I watch the Texas Longhorns offense, which is obviously very similar to SU's offense because Sterling Gilbert was the OC under Babers at Eastern Illinois for 2 seasons and for 1 season at Bowling Green, I see highly recruited Shane Beuchele struggling quite a bit to run the Texas offense. Sure, Beuchele is a true freshman, but Dungey is a true sophomore who missed several games last season due to two concussion injuries. The point I'm making is that this offensive system is new to both kids, and both are experiencing some growing pains. I may be biased a little bit here, but right now I see Dungey making more of the throws than Beuchele, and I think Dungey is making fewer mistakes. But it's also important to note that the other 10 on both teams are all learning as well and that takes time.

Yeah but not playing very well at same time

I won't disagree.

It does look that way, but, it's really difficult to know what's going on. The unit has to function as a whole, breakdowns here or there by other positions often put the QB in the worst light.

I have no idea what specific assignments are for these guys on any given play, so I try to take it with a grain of salt.

A young, talented and thus far efficient and productive QB will garner a healthy amount of patience and confidence from me.

I won't disagree.

It does look that way, but, it's really difficult to know what's going on. The unit has to function as a whole, breakdowns here or there by other positions often put the QB in the worst light.

I have no idea what specific assignments are for these guys on any given play, so I try to take it with a grain of salt.

A young, talented and thus far efficient and productive QB will garner a healthy amount of patience and confidence from me.
We've had a lot of games in the dome worse than dungeys but I'm worried about a small trend here. He's earned patience but I'm more worried than I was a year ago and more open to the idea of someone beating him out

Just said the same thing to you in another thread. He is shell shocked
I'll offer two thoughts...

1 - Dungey had a poor game today and terribly adverse conditions. Athletic performance is almost never a straight line. Good and bad mixed together. But hopefully to overall trend for Dungey is up. And I believe it is. One bad game does not signal a horrific decline. He will be fine.

2 - If you go back about ten years, the last Northeast team that REALLY held their own nationally was BC the first few years they joined the ACC. Those teams had strong offensive line play. We need to make OL the priority of the program. It affects nearly everything: Running game, passing game, field position, time of possession (which means less than it used to, it does have some value). Even with Dino's fantastic offense ((I am a believer), I'd place a much higher priority on a stud lineman (LT preferably) than a stud wideout. Think about it. We have as good a wideout as there is in CFB right now, and we are 2-4. I'd love to have both, but my amateur advice to Dino would be less recruiting focus on weapons and more on stout offensive line talent.

I'll offer two thoughts...

1 - Dungey had a poor game today and terribly adverse conditions. Athletic performance is almost never a straight line. Good and bad mixed together. But hopefully to overall trend for Dungey is up. And I believe it is. One bad game does not signal a horrific decline. He will be fine.

2 - If you go back about ten years, the last Northeast team that REALLY held their own nationally was BC the first few years they joined the ACC. Those teams had strong offensive line play. We need to make OL the priority of the program. It affects nearly everything: Running game, passing game, field position, time of possession (which means less than it used to, it does have some value). Even with Dino's fantastic offense ((I am a believer), I'd place a much higher priority on a stud lineman (LT preferably) than a stud wideout. Think about it. We have as good a wideout as there is in CFB right now, and we are 2-4. I'd love to have both, but my amateur advice to Dino would be less recruiting focus on weapons and more on stout offensive line talent.
Think you're right about OL play, but I also believe Cuse is simply not gonna get the top OL recruits. That said, investment in a bonafide OL coach, is essential. No more learning on the job. Pay someone 400k+ who knows how to develop kids. That should be his only job. Don't mix it with OC responsibilities.

Think you're right about OL play, but I also believe Cuse is simply not gonna get the top OL recruits. That said, investment in a bonafide OL coach, is essential. No more learning on the job. Pay someone 400k+ who knows how to develop kids. That should be his only job. Don't mix it with OC responsibilities.
Actually I think SU can recruit a few top tier recruits every year down the road in all phases of the game. The vast majority of CFB players will never be in the NFL and know that. Football for them is a dream ticket to an education they couldn't otherwise afford. That's where SU can shine compared to most of our competition. Top tier Architecture, Communications, Drama, Public Policy, even the Business school is moving into the upper tier lately. I think we can sell education quality to football recruits, not unlike what ND, Stanford and Duke do so successfully and we haven't got their impossible admission standards to deal with. I doubt this matters so much in basketball at SU because if you're accepted to SU it means you'll likely be playing pro ball somewhere down the road, but football is different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom