Dungey invited to Bengals minicamp. Released by Bengals | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey invited to Bengals minicamp. Released by Bengals

Man he looks good in Orange!

Attachments

• B9EFBEAE-5EC2-4090-9377-F9547C38B016.jpeg
    B9EFBEAE-5EC2-4090-9377-F9547C38B016.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
So far Shurmur 4/4 for 23 yards plus one sack and lost fumble.
Dungey 1/4 for 5 yards and one scramble for 11 yards.
per ESPN gamecast.

1st drive. 1 1st down by run (1st play), 1 1st down by pass and 1 1st down by penalty (roughing the passer).

I think people get too caught up with “strong arm”, “throwing accuracy” and what people miss is an intangible called “winner”. Jay cutler had almost everything you wanted in a QB, minus personality. But he was a career loser, loser in college, loser in the NFL. Dungey is a winner, guys like Dungey find ways to win games. Can he do that in the NFL as a starting QB, no. But he’s def capable as a backup and not the guy that goes in at preseason, after your other 3 qb’s have sucked for 2 games.

I think people get too caught up with “strong arm”, “throwing accuracy” and what people miss is an intangible called “winner”. Jay cutler had almost everything you wanted in a QB, minus personality. But he was a career loser, loser in college, loser in the NFL. Dungey is a winner, guys like Dungey find ways to win games. Can he do that in the NFL as a starting QB, no. But he’s def capable as a backup and not the guy that goes in at preseason, after your other 3 qb’s have sucked for 2 games.
I’ve definitely seen dudes in the NFL be a ton shittier. A lot of them.

Serious Q. Not comparing the two but based purely on arm strength alone, how would you compare Mac Jones To Dungey?

Jones all I have heard is his arm is weak, but watching this preseason it seems perfectly NFL adequate. Maybe 25th percentile on average but can zip it when needed. Is dungey worse than that?

He’s a lot of things and possess a lot of what you need to be successful, but his arm and consistency held him back here a bit and is what is keeping him from being an NFL QB. Don’t worry, he’s going to be all right.

He’s a lot of things and possess a lot of what you need to be successful, but his arm and consistency held him back here a bit and is what is keeping him from being an NFL QB. Don’t worry, he’s going to be all right.

Held him back, huh? Well, let's compare his first three years to Devito. I will give Tommy a break by not including 2018 when Eric piloted one of the greatest offensive teams in SU history. We will just compare their first three years.

Completion %- Eric 61.6% Tommy 59.8%
Passing yards- Eric 6472 Tommy 3478
TD's/Int's- Eric 40/21 Tommy 27/10
Rushing- Eric 1239 yards Tommy 128

Even through his first three years Eric beat Tommy across the board except TD/int ratio. That was offset, in my mind, by throwing far more TD's. Despite Tommy's rep with his arm, Eric was the (slightly) more accurate passer. When you compare the total offense, it isn't even on the same planet. Eric produced over twice as many yards as Tommy.

I have no quibble about him having NFL skills. But to say he was held back here is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for something negative to say. You could say the same, and even far more-so, about Devito.

Held him back, huh? Well, let's compare his first three years to Devito. I will give Tommy a break by not including 2018 when Eric piloted one of the greatest offensive teams in SU history. We will just compare their first three years.

Even through his first three years Eric beat Tommy across the board except TD/int ratio. That was offset, in my mind, by throwing far more TD's. Despite Tommy's rep with his arm, Eric was the (slightly) more accurate passer. When you compare the total offense, it isn't even on the same planet. Eric produced over twice as many yards as Tommy.

I have no quibble about him having NFL skills. But to say he was held back here is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for something negative to say. You could say the same, and even far more-so, about Devito.

While I agree that ED prolly doesn't get enough credit for his college passing production, one thing to keep in mind is that Dungey attempted 388 more passes in his first three seasons than DeVito has. Looking at AY/A and other drilled down stats, ED still beats TD but it's a lot closer.

IMO I do think TD has better arm talent, but having a good arm obviously isn't the only thing you need to be a good QB. Dungey had much better pocket presence than what TD has shown so far.

Brandon Allen looks terrible but the QB coach is still huddled with him and Burrow.
Doesn’t seem like Dungey is getting in for a while.
QB Coach Dan Pitcher from Cortland, NY

I didn’t bring DeVito into this conversation and would not quibble with it being no comparison. I’m comparing him to his peers, the best in the ACC and CFB over those years.

It held him back from being even *more* prolific in college. I get it, we don’t like negative things said about guys who played here and especially if they were on of the lone bright spots for 20 years. But his strong suit was not arm strength or accuracy. And that is what’s holding him back now. Everything else is a A+.

Best bet is they see value in Eric from a scout team perspective. Doesn't hurt to have a mobile practice squad QB who can mimic an opposing QB. Challenge there is it isn't until weeks 7 and 9 where that comes into play. Then it is 16,17,18. More likely to be a mid season add if that were their purpose.