Dungey stat | Syracusefan.com

Dungey stat

Millhouse said:
we should have the h backs run backwards to tackle him instead of taking hand offs. maybe that h back can be the twelfth guy on the field

Able to take any good stat and twist it to your maniacal whims... Impressive and somewhat maddening.

It's okay to say he's good at things.

Able to take any good stat and twist it to your maniacal whims... Impressive and somewhat maddening.

Yeah but why is he bad at a thing he should be good at?

shandeezy7 said:

Don't know. But given the choice, I'd take learning to throw with time and a clean pocket over the reverse.

Who said he should be good at being a pocket passer.? Mcnab was a terrible at it. What makes dungey good is his improv and legs. Has Ok accuracy standing still in the pocket.

I think his game is regressing because they don't want him running. They've taken his strengt away from him.

Saturday on a third down he wanted to run and instead sailed a pass over the wr head when he could've easily run the 7 yards for a first down. That's when I knew it was in his head. He won't be as good unless he can run.

Who said he should be good at being a pocket passer.? Mcnab was a terrible at it. What makes dungey good is his improv and legs. Has Ok accuracy standing still in the pocket.

I think his game is regressing because they don't want him running. They've taken his strengt away from him.

Saturday on a third down he wanted to run and instead sailed a pass over the wr head when he could've easily run the 7 yards for a first down. That's when I knew it was in his head. He won't be as good unless he can run.
McNabb, I could never get over how many worm burners he threw to short and intermediate routes from a clean pocket. Had to be something mechanical.

I think this stat does show he's very good when the play breaks down, and why the coaches should do more than just tell him to throw the ball away.

I also wonder what it says about our route design and WR's ability to find spots in zones, or get open vs man coverage. You would think the numbers would be higher when he isn't facing pressure.

I think this stat does show he's very good when the play breaks down, and why the coaches should do more than just tell him to throw the ball away.

I also wonder what it says about our route design and WR's ability to find spots in zones, or get open vs man coverage. You would think the numbers would be higher when he isn't facing pressure.

The data seems to suggest that Dungey is more comfortbale, or at least better, throwing when he's on the move. And it *may* suggest that the initial routes our receivers run are poor, and/or are designed poorly, and that they don't get separation until the play breaks down.

Lots to chew on.

The data seems to suggest that Dungey is more comfortbale, or at least better, throwing when he's on the move. And it *may* suggest that the initial routes our receivers run are poor, and/or are designed poorly, and that they don't get separation until the play breaks down.

Lots to chew on.

I've wondered why they don't roll him out more and run bootlegs. Not sure I've seen him run a boot all season.

To not even run one seems like they're not in be playbook.

ok to say who is good at things? i'm high on dungey

McNabb, I could never get over how many worm burners he threw to short and intermediate routes from a clean pocket. Had to be something mechanical.
Yep. Held the ball too low in his drop back and generally threw nose down.

Yep. Held the ball too low in his drop back and generally threw nose down.
Unlike Uncle Rico over there to your left! He threw that damn pigskin clear over them mountains!

Millhouse said:
ok to say who is good at things? i'm high on dungey

You used the good stat to dump on the hback and system, no?

I mean we get it - Lester's system is bunk. But kinda lame that the first thought was a dig.

David Hale ‏@DavidHaleESPN 33s33 seconds ago
#Cuse QB Eric Dungey…
Pressured: 50% comp (3rd in P5), 10.9 YPA (1st), 5 TD, 0 INT
Not pressured: 62% (48th), 6.5 YPA (54th), 6 TD, 5 INT
He does a great job looking down the field on broken plays and really likes to throw it long in those situations. Dungey is one of those QBs you where it is best to not rush him hard...just try and contain him in the pocket.

You used the good stat to dump on the hback and system, no?

I mean we get it - Lester's system is bunk. But kinda lame that the first thought was a dig.

It seemed to me that David Hale didn't post that stat to show how good he was on the run, but instead to show the stark contrast between how he throws when pressured vs. how he throws when not pressured, which is backwards to how most QB's operate, I would believe.

Plus, I would expect that there are more defensive breakdowns when he's scrambling as CB's are reacting to a potential QB run and Wide Receivers are adjusting their routes.

And I agree with the in his head comment, but who put that in his head? Most assuredly, SS and Lester, as they've both commented on their desire for Dungey to run less.

shandeezy7 said:
It seemed to me that David Hale didn't post that stat to show how good he was on the run, but instead to show the stark contrast between how he throws when pressured vs. how he throws when not pressured, which is backwards to how most QB's operate, I would believe.

I think he left it ambiguous.

He has thrown some very accurate deep balls from the pocket that have been dropped - he can throw from the pocket.

I've wondered why they don't roll him out more and run bootlegs. Not sure I've seen him run a boot all season.

To not even run one seems like they're not in be playbook.

Agreed. I've largely stopped trying to understand our offense because I really don't get what we're trying to do much of the time. But rolling him out seems like a no brainer. In addition, we don't call quick slants or screen, which would seem to help his in-pocket passing comfort.

In terms of Dungey being told to run less... I've been yapping about Lester getting Dungey killed all season, but the kid is a great weapon scrambling as things break down. I think it's bad to try and coach that aspect of his game out of him. What they should stop doing, IMHO, is the damn option. Less designed runs like that and more accentuating his ability to freelance.

Plus, I would expect that there are more defensive breakdowns when he's scrambling as CB's are reacting to a potential QB run and Wide Receivers are adjusting their routes.

And I agree with the in his head comment, but who put that in his head? Most assuredly, SS and Lester, as they've both commented on their desire for Dungey to run less.
yes.. pressure also usually means extra guys coming on blitz so less guys in coverage. the other nugget is that you only need 50% to be good at pressure throws doesnt mean you are actually good at it just better than the rest