Dungey | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dungey

I wonder how much run he would have gotten had Hunt not got hurt, would they have RS him completely , but where would he be now without last years playing time to accelerate the growth
I believe the plan was to RS him. When Hunt went down, the future became now.

I love him until his next pick or fumble. ;) He still has a lot of learning to do but I'm thrilled with his progress.

Regarding his INT sideline tackle: over the years I've seen way too many college QBs over the years turn into a complete wus when they actually have to tackle a defender racing down the sideline with the ball. Not Dungey, he slammed their SS around like a rag doll. The tough attitude he presented to the team was worth way more than the penalty yards.

I love the fire but would prefer a little more judgement.

Future SU quarterbacks may look at him and see this is what it takes to excel at this level and in this offense. I'm sure Devito noticed it, and Culpepper too.

Geno Smith is in the NFL.

Read my post again and not just want you want to read. Smith was putting up Herculean numbers and could make every throw in the book IF his mind was working right. He could zip the ball on those outs as well. Dungey is fine for us now and will get better.

Regarding his INT sideline tackle: over the years I've seen way too many college QBs over the years turn into a complete wus when they actually have to tackle a defender racing down the sideline with the ball. Not Dungey, he slammed their SS around like a rag doll. The tough attitude he presented to the team was worth way more than the penalty yards.

I tell ya, his grit and competitive spirit to not only get in position and make sure it wasnt a pick 6, was huge. Then the toughness and grit he showed? Had to fire up the team. This kid is the real deal. Roll out that shirt for Tommy DeVito and the future is so bright we should wear orange shades;).

ED is now second in the nation in passing yards behind Mahomes at Tex Tech as well as ET second in receiving yards behind the guy from La. Tech. Mahomes threw for over 700 yards yesterday and lost. WOW.

And yet, how many times do you hear about Mahomes compared to Dungey, particularly on Sirius College Sports? If you don't have it, let me tell you, it's much more.

Did he explain what he was thinking on the throw? I liked the hustle, toughness and all that happened after, but the decision to make that throw was mind boggling. Did he think it was a free play? AT the time I was not pleased in giving up points (though our kicking game is never a sure thing) and providing easy points to a team that can''t score.

Did he explain what he was thinking on the throw? I liked the hustle, toughness and all that happened after, but the decision to make that throw was mind boggling. Did he think it was a free play? AT the time I was not pleased in giving up points (though our kicking game is never a sure thing) and providing easy points to a team that can''t score.
There is no doubt is my mind that he thought he had a free play.

It appears to have been part of the game plan the last couple of weeks. Draw them off sides and take a gamble downfield. He did the same exact thing on the previous play to Ish when he attempted a back shoulder throw.

Yes he said in his interview "They where off-sides", which they where. He thought he had a free play.

even with a free play you need to make a good throw.. it was 5 yds under thrown which made for an easy pick.

Uh, no - that's why it's called a "free play" -
you can take a shot, and worst case, it is blown dead, and you get to run the same down again, with an extra 5 yards in your pocket.

IF BC had been whistled for the obvious offsides penalty they so richly deserved, then the pick never actually happened, since it was a continuation of a play where there was a penalty on the D prior to the snap.

you can take a shot, and worst case, it is blown dead, and you get to run the same down again, with an extra 5 yards in your pocket.

IF BC had been whistled for the obvious offsides penalty they so richly deserved, then the pick never actually happened, since it was a continuation of a play where there was a penalty on the D prior to the snap.
Exactly!

That's the point of the free play. Take a shot down field that you wouldn't normally take. Trust that your WR can make a play.

taking a shot down field is fine.. making a terrible throw is not. had the ball been throw where it was supposed to be even if its an INT it doesnt get returned. throwing it that poorly led to the rest of the play. that throw was so poor the WR may not have even caught it

Just because it's a free play doesn't mean you underthow it. Had it been thrown deeper he would've given the WR a chance to make a play on it.

You guys are right. Dungey probably thought "It's a free play so I think I'll underthrow it."

Yeah, exactly.

Not to go all Captain Obvious on everybody, but - of COURSE you want to make a good throw. You want to make a good throw every time.
Duh.

The difference is, he doesn't even CONSIDER making that throw there, unless he thought he had a "free play" - which, due to the wonderful #goacc refs, he did not.

Just because it's a free play doesn't mean you underthow it. Had it been thrown deeper he would've given the WR a chance to make a play on it.
The under throw wasn't the biggest problem on the play. He never saw the the safety playing center field. The play really never had a chance and that's why the blown off sides penalty was huge.

IMO, ED doesn't attempt that throw if he doesn't believe he had a free play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom