Dungy just threw Babers under the bus. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dungy just threw Babers under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha.

The hype video person should get hazard pay this week. Or the week off.

Hype video preview:

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

I was at the game last night we were that terrible. VT QB was missing throws by a mile the other bottom feeders in the conference like BC or GT give them a game and maybe win. We got blown out.

Davis and CDRW don’t look like the answer just from seeing them on the sideline and warming up. Can’t be worse than Shrader but we will need 2-3 new guys for next year. I like Dino but it’s time we made it through the period where he couldn’t be fired.

He was back on and clamed down but saying the captains need to provide more leadership. The team needs to get fired up.

Such a Shafer mentality.

Except for the hundreds of millions spent in facilities. If they truly wanted to do that, they wouldn’t be making some of these decisions. I don’t buy it. We’re building a new football only operations center and a new weightlifting facility. It’s not consistent with that. They may not want to compete for a National Title but they can’t give up on football with what they’re spending. That would be even dumber.

It’s probably somewhere between they don’t care and they are fully committed.

And it’s impossible to say where this will end up - I’d estimate about 25 schools are “fully committed” with football budgets which show that. Most of the ACC, a few SEC/Big10 schools, and most of the Big 12 have budgets close to ours. I don’t know if the big spenders will break off into a 1A+ division and drag a few other schools along as punching bags to get to. 32, or if we’ll continue along this piecemeal approach to change which isn’t really good for the sport, or something else entirely.

Regardless, reality in about half the power conference schools spend way more than us and are no longer peers. Half spend similar to us, and there’s no reason we cannot compete well with that group. We may not be able to control all of our future destiny - but we should absolutely be able to control being competitive with our true peers (which we haven’t been for two decades except for a couple “dead cat bounce” seasons in the mix).

Except for the hundreds of millions spent in facilities. If they truly wanted to do that, they wouldn’t be making some of these decisions. I don’t buy it. We’re building a new football only operations center and a new weightlifting facility. It’s not consistent with that. They may not want to compete for a National Title but they can’t give up on football with what they’re spending. That would be even dumber.
I don't think they will give up on football. I do think they know their time being a player in a major football conference is over when the next round of musical chairs starts. We will settle in a second tier of schools that are pushed out of the big boy table.

Going to side with this desire to win over punting on 4th and one from the opponents 40 all day, every day!

I remember that game. I recall wishing that the Syracuse quarterback didn't have the desire to pass the ball to guys in dark-colored jerseys four times that day.

Well...Dungey's previous coach got Dungey's brains scrambled in garbage time, had zero succes on the field, and Dungey likely would've been a footnote if Dino hadn't entered the picture
Nope. Shafer would have been fine if not playing with his freaking 4th string QB. Tired of the BS. Did you want P fired for Grob and the WCO too? There is a contingent of fans around here that think we have to be some kind of air raid blabity blah blah offense to win here. We win when we play P/Marrone/Shafer ball. I'm so over these guys and their fancy ass schemes and close your eyes, and imagine this. We need a coach who wants to punch someone in the mouth. Not make Kumbaya speeches. Zero success? Shafer went to and won a bowl in his first year. Decimiated by injuries after. We've seen Dino leave guys in just like Shafer did. Happens ALL THE TIME!

I don't think they will give up on football. I do think they know their time being a player in a major football conference is over when the next round of musical chairs starts. We will settle in a second tier of schools that are pushed out of the big boy table.

Yep. Stay in the ACC for the Clemson/FSU/UNC buyouts and find a way to keep X amount of schools in it to survive. I'm fine with that.

(I kinda wonder if Babers plan was to win quick at Syracuse so he could get a big job elsewhere; when that didn’t happen he took the bag here and has just coasted since 2018. He’s behaved so differently since that season, something changed…he’s definitely quit long before he’ll actually get fired).

Said basically the same 3 years ago.

Nope. Shafer would have been fine if not playing with his freaking 4th string QB. Tired of the BS. Did you want P fired for Grob and the WCO too? There is a contingent of fans around here that think we have to be some kind of air raid blabity blah blah offense to win here. We win when we play P/Marrone/Shafer ball. I'm so over these guys and their fancy ass schemes and close your eyes, and imagine this. We need a coach who wants to punch someone in the mouth. Not make Kumbaya speeches. Zero success? Shafer went to and won a bowl in his first year. Decimiated by injuries after. We've seen Dino leave guys in just like Shafer did. Happens ALL THE TIME!
His last 2 seasons every QB was out, really bad luck.

Shafer nostalgia is interesting...

I was very surprised that Eric really didn't seem to be the biggest fan of Dino. I mean I know he was a Shafer guy buy prior to last night I thought he had formed one of those circle the wagon type bonds with Dino like many former players do (and which he clearly did w Shafer). I respected the heck out of Eric last night for calling out the obvious.

I’ve been criticized for saying how poor Dino has recruited. He has been horrendous recruiting on the offensive side of the ball. He’s brought in basically nothing. Devito was his only highly recruited player. Any impact players were transfers. Dungey knows this. Dino lived off Shafers receivers his first three years. He’s brought in nothing. Maybe Dino can be kept in another role at the University.

Firmly disagree.

When the dust settles we’ll be back to our previous stature as a northeast giant that can win their conference every year bc it’s not the big ten or sec.

8 team or whatever expanded playoff means we can make it annually.

Tough place to recruit to and we have to fear any good coach being poached but other than that our status is pretty good. Awesome fanbase too don’t underestimate our support.

I was very surprised that Eric really didn't seem to be the biggest fan of Dino. I mean I know he was a Shafer guy buy prior to last night I thought he had formed one of those circle the wagon type bonds with Dino like many former players do (and which he clearly did w Shafer). I respected the heck out of Eric last night for calling out the obvious.

He made it seem like there were two factions. The Dino guys came in talking about how they were going to take over and never did.

Shafer nostalgia is interesting...

About twenty years ago, I took over managing a manufacturing site where the union constantly told me I was terrible and they wished they had the previous guy back. Which was funny because I was close friends with the previous guy, and he told me they would tell him he was useless.

Reality was both of us were trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop, the company had no money so no turnaround effort was going to be successful. I accomplished my goal - got good enough results for two years I could put that and the job title on a resume and took a job promotion with a functional company elsewhere.

I think there’s a lot of parallels here, the one difference is I bailed when I had a chance while Dino stayed after 2018. Watching how this has played out has made me oddly more comfortable in my career decision.

Last edited:
Shafer recruited players who were captains on their high school teams, a lot of them. I guess the university didn't like his demeanor, but he actually had a solid plan.

About twenty years ago, I took over managing a manufacturing site where the union constantly told me I was terrible and they wished they had the previous guy back. Which was funny because I was close friends with the previous guy, and he told me they would tell him he was useless.

Reality was both of us were trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop, the company had no money so no turnaround effort was going to be successful. I accomplished my goal - got good enough results for two years I could put that and the job title on a resume and took a job promotion with a functional company elsewhere.

I think there’s a lot of parallels here, the one difference is I bailed when I had a chance while Dino stayed after 2018. Watching how this has played out has made me oddly more succeed in my career decision.
So, you're in the camp of, if Babers can't get it done, nobody can?

Firmly disagree.

When the dust settles we’ll be back to our previous stature as a northeast giant that can win their conference every year bc it’s not the big ten or sec.

8 team or whatever expanded playoff means we can make it annually.

Tough place to recruit to and we have to fear any good coach being poached but other than that our status is pretty good. Awesome fanbase too don’t underestimate our support.
if we aren't at the big boy table we won't have a shot at the playoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom