Dungy just threw Babers under the bus. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dungy just threw Babers under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric is a super high IQ guy, make him the coach, he will work at around the clock.
Maybe he can start at Utica and move on to UMass before working his way up to Cuse.

Firmly disagree.

When the dust settles we’ll be back to our previous stature as a northeast giant that can win their conference every year bc it’s not the big ten or sec.

8 team or whatever expanded playoff means we can make it annually.

Tough place to recruit to and we have to fear any good coach being poached but other than that our status is pretty good. Awesome fanbase too don’t underestimate our support.
I am really worried that isn't the case. I think right now, if the musical chairs were to start again, we would be left out. That is why right now is so important.

Maybe he can start at Utica and move on to UMass before working his way up to Cuse.
Of course. The idea of giving the job who has never coached a game anywhere is simply, crazy. So much goes in to beinga successful head coach in college football.

I was very surprised that Eric really didn't seem to be the biggest fan of Dino. I mean I know he was a Shafer guy buy prior to last night I thought he had formed one of those circle the wagon type bonds with Dino like many former players do (and which he clearly did w Shafer). I respected the heck out of Eric last night for calling out the obvious.

I think the reality is that Dino has always really been a Dino guy. Ohana, La Familia, whatever was all bs and coach speak.

That schtick is certainly off putting, wears thin, and becomes intolerable during times like these. Maybe Dungey, who got his brains scrambled for what he thought is the greater good, is finally just "sick of it."

He has an Ivy league/ Military level IQ and the fiercest will to compete I've ever seen. He has nothing to prove to me at a lower level.

Except for the hundreds of millions spent in facilities. If they truly wanted to do that, they wouldn’t be making some of these decisions. I don’t buy it. We’re building a new football only operations center and a new weightlifting facility. It’s not consistent with that. They may not want to compete for a National Title but they can’t give up on football with what they’re spending. That would be even dumber.
This^ It's naive to think that SU doesn't understand what side of the bread is buttered. Follow the money. They are investing long term in the football program because of the ROI. They are going to continue to invest relative to that rate of return. It's ALL about revenue generation.

The huge private donors to the Lally Athletics Complex have assurances of that level of commitment from the university. Will SU set the bar on expenditures in the ACC? Not even close. But I'm guessing that they are going to continue to invest at close to the ACC median to maintain their brand in the face of conference realignment.

Of course. The idea of giving the job who has never coached a game anywhere is simply, crazy. So much goes in to beinga successful head coach in college football.

When the "Sack Mac Pack" was in it's glory in '86, they wanted Floyd Little to be the new coach. He was selling cars at the time. It's the second go-to idea after hiring the big name coach who is currently unemployed. They said that recruits would flock to play for a famous guy like Floyd. Recruits who would have no idea who Floyd was.

Shafer nostalgia is interesting...
Not really nostalgia, I was never happy about his dismissal and have been vocal about it plenty. My opinions usually aren't popular and that's fine. But we've been trying to match the offense to the dome for how long? It's a BS exercise in futility. We couldn't get the recruits for it before, and certainly won't in this era of NIL/Portal. Defense first, ball control, full meathead. Bring on the red heels.

Not really nostalgia, I was never happy about his dismissal and have been vocal about it plenty. My opinions usually aren't popular and that's fine. But we've been trying to match the offense to the dome for how long? It's a BS exercise in futility. We couldn't get the recruits for it before, and certainly won't in this era of NIL/Portal. Defense first, ball control, full meathead. Bring on the red heels.
That's fine if you prefer that approach, but what exactly did Shafer show you that indicated he was the best answer to implementing that approach?

Going to side with this desire to win over punting on 4th and one from the opponents 40 all day, every day!

The same game that he ripped out the ball from one of the Miami players after one of his 4 interceptions. (I blame the white helmets on both teams for part of his interceptions that day)

I remember being in the stands in Orlando after the bowl win, and one segment of fans was chanting “Eric Dungey,” while the other was shouting “Dino Babers.”

Even at the time, it was pretty clear that the Dungey voices were the ones who understood what had happened.
Sorry but that’s just not true , I was there, Syracuse fans were worried Dino was as going to go for a better offer, we were elated when he got the extension. They were both very popular at that point in time and nobody would have predicted this…. nobody.

That's fine if you prefer that approach, but what exactly did Shafer show you that indicated he was the best answer to implementing that approach?
The one year when he didn't lose his starting QB we won the Texas Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I don't know that he was the answer but IMO he didn't get a fair shake given the ridiculous amount of injuries in year 2 or 3. And Shafer knew defense which is a big part of playing meathead ball. Dino's defenses are more often bad than good. But that was ok because we were going to be scoring 50+ points a game, at least that was the argument around here.

I want to beat Tennessee so bad in Hawaii.

It was embarrassing talking to VT fans this morning at the airport after getting blown out like that.

My GF loves hoops gotta get her a win against Tennessee.

Marrone was never HC before he got here. Dino had a couple successful stops. There is no fool-proof formula.
Marrone was a ass't coach at a high level. Plus, I wouldn't hire him either. People forget, up until the last half dozen games of his last year here, people weren't all that thrilled with Doug.

Marrone was a ass't coach at a high level. Plus, I wouldn't hire him either. People forget, up until the last half dozen games of his last year here, people weren't all that thrilled with Doug.

Yeah that 2012 team was 2-4 before winning 6 of their last 7, including a miracle comeback against USF and a last minute TD against Missouri.

I don't think they will give up on football. I do think they know their time being a player in a major football conference is over when the next round of musical chairs starts. We will settle in a second tier of schools that are pushed out of the big boy table.
And I as an alumnus, donor and fan I am perfectly OK with this. I'm sick and tired of being embarrassed for half of the schedule every year. Play like-minded schools with similar resources and let's watch some competitive football. I'm all for relegation like they do in European soccer.

Last edited:
Yeah that 2012 team was 2-4 before winning 6 of their last 7, including a miracle comeback against USF and a last minute TD against Missouri.
Yeah and it is irrelevant talk, Doug wants no part of college coaching, and that was before NIL and the portal.

Except for the hundreds of millions spent in facilities. If they truly wanted to do that, they wouldn’t be making some of these decisions. I don’t buy it. We’re building a new football only operations center and a new weightlifting facility. It’s not consistent with that. They may not want to compete for a National Title but they can’t give up on football with what they’re spending. That would be even dumber.

Yeah these tropes are dumb. Between Lally and the Dome it's over a quarter of a billion dollars.

Yeah these tropes are dumb. Between Lally and the Dome it's over a quarter of a billion dollars.
Unfortunately they won't get rid of Dino until after the season, and the damage is already done.

This^ It's naive to think that SU doesn't understand what side of the bread is buttered. Follow the money. They are investing long term in the football program because of the ROI. They are going to continue to invest relative to that rate of return. It's ALL about revenue generation.

The huge private donors to the Lally Athletics Complex have assurances of that level of commitment from the university. Will SU set the bar on expenditures in the ACC? Not even close. But I'm guessing that they are going to continue to invest at close to the ACC median to maintain their brand in the face of conference realignment.

The facilities plans are good but you have to invest in coaching hires as well.

We will know more when they hire Dino's replacement... and the quality of the hired and assistants brought in.

If they go the cheap route on an unproven FCS up-and-comer with like staff coaches on smaller pay packets, we'll know the answer.

The facilities plans are good but you have to invest in coaching hires as well.

We will know more when they hire Dino's replacement... and the quality of the hired and assistants brought in.

If they go the cheap route on an unproven FCS up-and-comer with like staff coaches on smaller pay packets, we'll know the answer.
Keep in mind that the Lally Complex is being paid for by private donors. I know the kind of salary they offered Tony White to try to keep him. When the time comes, I think we will be reasonably competitive with new HC and staff salaries compared to our peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom