Dungy just threw Babers under the bus. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dungy just threw Babers under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shafer recruited players who were captains on their high school teams, a lot of them. I guess the university didn't like his demeanor, but he actually had a solid plan.
So then, where did he go wrong? His teams sucked and his demeanor was, quite frankly, embarrassing. His in-game decisions were just as baffling as Dinos have been, such as faking a 55 yard FG on 4th and forever down 21 points.
He was a decent D coordinator as long as he wasn't scheming to stop the triple option.
And Dino has recruited high-character players across the board too.
It's ok to say both coaches failed at what they were hired to do - win more than they lose.

"It feels like we’re playing not to lose by 40. We’re doing a great job of that. But that’s not how we want to play. I’d rather lose by 50 and at least show some heart.”
These have been my thoughts the last few weeks, particularly in regards to milking the clock from play 1 last week and going super conservative on 4th downs in the 2nd half down a considerable amount 3 games in a row.

The one year when he didn't lose his starting QB we won the Texas Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I don't know that he was the answer but IMO he didn't get a fair shake given the ridiculous amount of injuries in year 2 or 3. And Shafer knew defense which is a big part of playing meathead ball. Dino's defenses are more often bad than good. But that was ok because we were going to be scoring 50+ points a game, at least that was the argument around here.
A 7-6 team, that I believe won a game against a MAC team on a faulty replay review on a place kick (I could be conflating seasons)?
We've been using the injury excuse around here for 15 years. The one year Dino had his starting QB the whole season, he went 10-3.
SU's fortunes have pretty much always been tied to how many games the starting QB has been available.
At some point, the head coach has to be accountable.
They can both be failed head coaches.

He said a lot more than that. Then again he also defended Shafer. I think you could tell he is not fond of Dino.
All I can think of us him standing on the sidelines obvious furious when we started out fast at Ohio (?) and then Dino put freshman Devito in for 4 straight drives where we didn't move the ball. I;m sure he has some bitter feelings towards Dino and knows he owes that big contract to him.

A 7-6 team, that I believe won a game against a MAC team on a faulty replay review on a place kick (I could be conflating seasons)?
We've been using the injury excuse around here for 15 years. The one year Dino had his starting QB the whole season, he went 10-3.
SU's fortunes have pretty much always been tied to how many games the starting QB has been available.

That was Marron's dumpster 3rd year not Shafer.

Dino almost ruined DeVito. Shafer played with 4th string QBs. It's not the same. Grob got a longer leash than Shafer and Shafer won a bowl game. Shafer got screwed.

Unfortunately they won't get rid of Dino until after the season, and the damage is already done.

How many college coaches get canned mid season (not Mel Tucker) beyond USC? Honest question since off the top I cannot recall any.

Don't think we have a legit internal option, doubt Rocky Long really wants to put that back together at his age.

All I can think of us him standing on the sidelines obvious furious when we started out fast at Ohio (?) and then Dino put freshman Devito in for 4 straight drives where we didn't move the ball. I;m sure he has some bitter feelings towards Dino and knows he owes that big contract to him.

I doubt he's insane. Dungey had a year of the ages under DIno.

I believe Dino has only won with other guys players at his other stops.

I've never been a fan of the "he won with the other guy's players" argument. Coach P went 20-4 his first two years with guys Coach Mac had gone 15-8-2 with the two years before that. Dino went 10-3 in his third year with guys who never went 10-3 before.

The one year when he didn't lose his starting QB we won the Texas Bowl. Don't get me wrong, I don't know that he was the answer but IMO he didn't get a fair shake given the ridiculous amount of injuries in year 2 or 3. And Shafer knew defense which is a big part of playing meathead ball. Dino's defenses are more often bad than good. But that was ok because we were going to be scoring 50+ points a game, at least that was the argument around here.

We also lost two games by eight touchdowns that year.

How many college coaches get canned mid season (not Mel Tucker) beyond USC? Honest question since off the top I cannot recall any.
Well last year in the P5 there was Bryan Hardin (Auburn), Scott Frost (Nebraska); Karl Dorrell (Colorado); Geoff Collins (Georgia Tech); Herm Edwards (Arizona State); and Paul Chryst (Wisconsin). Certainly not the norm but also not unheard of either.

Well last year in the P5 there was Bryan Hardin (Auburn), Scott Frost (Nebraska); Karl Dorrell (Colorado); Geoff Collins (Georgia Tech); Herm Edwards (Arizona State); and Paul Chryst (Wisconsin). Certainly not the norm but also not unheard of either.
We need to start the coaching search asap. I would make a statement to whatever fans are left that we actually care, or at least pretend to care about building a winning program. He should be fired for quitting against FSU. The way he talked all week and then played not to get blown out was enough to get fired there. The kids aren't stupid they know he quit on them and they quit on him. Rocky can easily close out this season. He knows it's only a month.

Dungey said he didn't like a lot of Dino's called plays.
And Dino hinted a few weeks back that Eric didn't always run the plays that were called.

That's normal stuff.

I think you are thinking about Toledo 2011.

Western Michigan.

Here is part of the Dungey rant starting around the 40 min mark. Pretty critical of Dino.

This is the third and last time I'm going to say this. When there is so much wrong with your team, you get beaten as badly as any historical beating in school history, not once, but three weeks in a row, and you get an open week, you use every minute you have to work on improving what is wrong. Dino sent his team home to get "home cooked meals" instead of working to get better and reviewing film, etc. He even claimed that this 4 days away from football was important. I've played and coached the game and I was absolutely stunned to hear him say something so stupid. He deserves all the criticism he's been given on this board and more for this.

What do others think?

I earlier this year said I believe Shrader is better than dungey. I was so wrong. I appreciate Dungey so much after what I’ve witnessed thee last 4. Dungey was a team role model, he had fire and grit. He would have been walking up and down that sideline firing everyone up. Dungey would have been throwing flying knee kicks, getting in the others team face after he lowered his shoulder, and doing everything possible to win. Shrader is just “meh”. Where the hell is his fire from last year? Did his legs get replaced recently? Why is he so slow? What is going on with him? Get him off the field. Put in someone else for the love of god. Not saying he is the reason we are losing like this no, but set an example. Our leader is not leading. CDRW seems like a child. Laughing all the time, doesn’t have “it” to me.

Listening to post game, it appears Dungey on the couch has more emotion and fire then our whole team.

Dungey is a legend. I will never anoint someone as “better” than him ever again until I see a whole season of leadership and ability. I personally loved Dungey was a massive fan and I actually took him for granted I think. Dungey, thanks for giving us a great final season and being an amazing person and alumni. You are beyond missed by Cuse12. We need players like him again.
Shrader shouldn’t be judged right now as if he’s healthy. He’s not. When he ran 25 times against Purdue and did whatever it took to win that game, willed his team to win, that’s a healthy Shrader.

This is a 60% Shrader maybe and he’s stuck behind a garbage OL. That’s a larger indictment of our backup QB’s than Shrader.

I don’t blame Shrader right now. I blame Dino and his staff for consistently having weak OL 2 deeps with little quality depth and weak QB depth charts. We have not had a single consistent QB backup capable of winning games during Dino’s tenure except DeVito as a RF in 2018. Think about that. The next best thing was Mahoney who was a walk-on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors