Early Indications Are the New Viking Stadium | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Early Indications Are the New Viking Stadium

One thing I always mention is that the huge basketball crowds take away from football. There are only so many games people can go to in a year. Our giant basketball crowds are part of the reason I think we get small football crowds
Basketball is down too...it isn't 1990 anymore. Sure we come out for 1 or 2 big games a year...but I saw lots of games that appeared to 12-15k folks.

Not so sure. Onondaga County pop has been within 3 or 4k for 50 years.
Some of the other metro areas are declining. We are older and poorer, but
the pop is more than large enough for the domes size.
The population is aging, less high paying jobs and many of the younger kids are not football fans.

bball people realize the last 15K of seats are not very good so people come once a yr or for the very big games. fball is the opp. almost every seat is pretty good thus people buy the end zone tickets for value

We were preseason #6 which may be our highest preseason ranking ever (I'd have to check the polls in the late 50s/early 60s which would be the only other possible time we would have been higher to start the year).

Note: we were preseason #1 in 1960. That is the only other time we were higher.

upperdeck said:
bball people realize the last 15K of seats are not very good so people come once a yr or for the very big games. fball is the opp. almost every seat is pretty good thus people buy the end zone tickets for value

Ding ding ding. That why the end zone ticket prices must be adjusted relative to the 20 yard line seats

Central New York halts decline in population, according to latest Census statistics

Syracuse, NY -- After decades of steep population losses, Syracuse and Central New York appear to have halted the decline and turned a corner with some emerging pockets of growth, according to 2010 U.S. Census results released Thursday.

In a stunning surprise to government leaders -- who expected new losses -- Central New York’s population grew by 1.4 percent in the past decade to reach an all-time high of 742,603 in the four-county Syracuse area, the 2010 Census showed.

The population total for Onondaga, Cayuga, Oswego and Madison counties topped the previous record of 742,177 set in 1990, according to U.S. Census Bureau records dating to 1820.

I'm confused. We've halted decades of decline and simultaneously topped the previous record high? They must be cherry-picking the stats to come up with that oxymoron.

The population is aging, less high paying jobs and many of the younger kids are not football fans.
Are you suggesting the population numbers will fall off a cliff as all the old-timers start kicking the bucket? I guess I missed out on the young hippie crowds of the 80s and 90s. Not a walker or wheelchair in sight. Except for Dome eddie?

I'm confused. We've halted decades of decline and simultaneously topped the previous record high? They must be cherry-picking the stats to come up with that oxymoron.

No. It says the prior high was 1990. That was 3.5 decades ago. An increase in populated halted decades of decline and now were are above the 1990 figure. Those statements are in synch.

"halted the decline and turned a corner with some emerging pockets of growth"

No. It says the prior high was 1990. That was 3.5 decades ago. An increase in populated halted decades of decline and now were are above the 1990 figure. Those statements are in synch.

"halted the decline and turned a corner with some emerging pockets of growth"
Must have been one heck of a corner to erase decades of decline in just the last 10 years.

Are you suggesting the population numbers will fall off a cliff as all the old-timers start kicking the bucket? I guess I missed out on the young hippie crowds of the 80s and 90s. Not a walker or wheelchair in sight. Except for Dome eddie?

Sadly yes unless the area has a revival (there are some signs)...I see lots of the younger generation are newly arrived immigrants along with those from families too poor or unskilled to move to better jobs. Cuse is making inroads in Government, Medical and service sectors...but the area needs manufacturing too. Very poor corporate involvement in CNY due to few HQs.

Much of the Baby Boomer/Gen X moved South from CNY...when GE, Carrier, NPG, Fisher Body, and dozens of other smaller manufacturing plants started to shutter/downsize in the late 60's onward due to a poor business climate and a spoiled workforce.

From 1966 to 2016...the US doubled in population but CNY is within a few thousand of the 1966 population.

Yes , the provun

Yes, the pricing is rediculous. Our seasons at the 38 yd line are $600, $100/game. So the $130-140 tickets are either 3rd party snipers or season ticket holders trying to make a profit which is rediculous. I couldn't ask for $100 for a cuse football ticket with a straight face, even if we were a top 25 team. The problem is the donation paid for sitting between the 35 yard lines. Its approximately 60% of the ticket cost. With no perks like a sideline pass or a great rate on the dumb met life series. Thus, these seats seen on tv will continue to be the silver sea. Wildhack has to address this asap.
Paint

Okay, I've been looking at ticket pricing structure (and there is a boatload of factors at play here), and the first thing that needs to be addressed is the donation level...specifically the discount for having both FB and BB season tickets.

They need to away with the discount...and can do it without increasing to cost of owning both.

But they need to properly "weight" the cost of owning each in the current pricing structure. The cost of FB will be "x", the cost of BB will be "y"... And the cost of both will be "x" + "y"...which is equal to the current cost of owning both. It's simple stats.

This will reduce the cost of owning just one set of tickets...which should increase FB sales specifically and reduce the amount they need to recoup on individual ticket sales.

Right now A level BB ticket owners only pay an extra $45 to own both sports. Why not buy both and either sell or give the FB tickets away. It begs for people do not feel obligated to go to FB games.

Also, If my blood money is only 300 person FB season ticket, I only need to divide that by each game to add to the base ticket price on the single ticket market to break even. Then you offer a 10-15% discount to the single game buyer to get their ass in that seat.

Season ticket holders won't begrudge paying 20-15% more to guarantee their seat and receive a tax break.

Second item needs to be reducing the #of $125 season tickets...and spread the potential increase in revenue to other seats in the dome.

Lastly they need more pricing levels...by having only four, the price breaks are too dramatic. You can't have people sitting next to each other paying hundreds of dollars difference per season. It's bad business.

I've sort of noticed that there are some "a" and "b" level seats right next to each other. They need not worry about what yard line you are sitting in and make the price breaks where the aisles / stairs are.

Lots of this stuff has been ignored for years, and the result is people cramming the end zone and season ticket holders who think they are getting such a great deal by owning both sports, not showing up for one whole season.

Folks are nuts if you think we should stay at 49k...Right size it to 44k. If you can engineer in some cheap expansion possibilities to get another 5-7k great...however, I don't think it will be needed unless we get in the Top 10-20 consistently.

Okay, I've been looking at ticket pricing structure (and there is a boatload of factors at play here), and the first thing that needs to be addressed is the donation level...specifically the discount for having both FB and BB season tickets.

They need to away with the discount...and can do it without increasing to cost of owning both.

But they need to properly "weight" the cost of owning each in the current pricing structure. The cost of FB will be "x", the cost of BB will be "y"... And the cost of both will be "x" + "y"...which is equal to the current cost of owning both. It's simple stats.

This will reduce the cost of owning just one set of tickets...which should increase FB sales specifically and reduce the amount they need to recoup on individual ticket sales.

Right now A level BB ticket owners only pay an extra $45 to own both sports. Why not buy both and either sell or give the FB tickets away. It begs for people do not feel obligated to go to FB games.

Also, If my blood money is only 300 person FB season ticket, I only need to divide that by each game to add to the base ticket price on the single ticket market to break even. Then you offer a 10-15% discount to the single game buyer to get their ass in that seat.

Season ticket holders won't begrudge paying 20-15% more to guarantee their seat and receive a tax break.

Second item needs to be reducing the #of $125 season tickets...and spread the potential increase in revenue to other seats in the dome.

Lastly they need more pricing levels...by having only four, the price breaks are too dramatic. You can't have people sitting next to each other paying hundreds of dollars difference per season. It's bad business.

I've sort of noticed that there are some "a" and "b" level seats right next to each other. They need not worry about what yard line you are sitting in and make the price breaks where the aisles / stairs are.

Lots of this stuff has been ignored for years, and the result is people cramming the end zone and season ticket holders who think they are getting such a great deal by owning both sports, not showing up for one whole season.
You make the numbers work without even factoring in concessions.

There are only so many games people can go to in a year. Diminishing returns.

Wildhack must know how terrible it looks on TV.

You make the numbers work without even factoring in concessions.

There are only so many games people can go to in a year. Diminishing returns.

Wildhack must know how terrible it looks on TV.
People at the fifty who don't find anyone to use the ticket should transfer them to someone in the endzone. Website could gave them transfer to the box office and the box office could transfer to an end zoner who signs up

At this point how many high rollers who would game this and switch to the end zone are there left?

People at the fifty who don't find anyone to use the ticket should transfer them to someone in the endzone. Website could gave them transfer to the box office and the box office could transfer to an end zoner who signs up

At this point how many high rollers who would game this and switch to the end zone are there left?
Mattydale meets Fayetteville.

People at the fifty shouldn't try and recover their season ticket amount divided by 6! Eat the donation fraction and get the seat filled you greedy bastard!;) my seats at the 38, section 115, row c are awesome seats, visitor sideline. When me and a buddy cant make it we ask for ticket face value which is $20- $40. End of story.

Good point. I think that has impacted both football and some of the less popular basketball games.

Back in the 80's and early 90's those mid week Hall and Provy games got 27K since they weren't on TV.