elite status | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

elite status

TBCuse11 said:
People dont realize, or forget, that McCollough is the best frosh recruit since Melo.

Based on what? Remix YouTube videos? I'm not going to say he isn't good it doesn't have the potential to be great but he is the 29th rated recruit in his class. Just for comparisons sake, Toberson was 31st last year. From being best frosh recruit since Melo being ranked 21st to not seeing the court at 31, I'm willing to guess he'll be in the middle between Melo and Roberson.

Ennis last year was 20, so I'd probably say that he was the best frosh recruit since Ennis.

Based on what? Remix YouTube videos? I'm not going to say he isn't good it doesn't have the potential to be great but he is the 29th rated recruit in his class. Just for comparisons sake, Toberson was 31st last year. From being best frosh recruit since Melo being ranked 21st to not seeing the court at 31, I'm willing to guess he'll be in the middle between Melo and Roberson.

Ennis last year was 20, so I'd probably say that he was the best frosh recruit since Ennis.

If you're going by the rankings then it's Donte Greene in a landslide.

Guys like Wallace, Cipolla, Bland, Griffin,

Hart, Griffin, and Bland were all on the same team.

Bland was a swing guy (with a mediocre handle) all the way. Same for Cipolla. Interesting that you bring this up, though - I got a chance to see the 1996 championship game in its entirety a couple weeks ago. This was the first time I saw that game since that Monday night and my memory had some serious gaps. Namely, almost 100% of the ball-handling help Sims got came from Burgan, who brought the ball up court for long stretches. Boeheim didn't want Cipolla to touch it. Not how I remembered it at all.

Anyway, a lot of our best teams have multiple ball-handlers. Kind of an obvious observation, but we don't do as well when we only have one guy trusted to bring it up (as this year). There's a reason Hart/Griffin/Williams, Sims/Burgan/Wallace, Triche/Rautins/Scoop, and McNamara/Duany/Anthony have had successful seasons.

I would agree if it was for a bad reason, but losing PGs to the NBA is a great problem to have.

Also when have we had more than one PG on our roster, last one I can think of was Allen Griffin?

Scoop/MCW and Triche in 2012.
Scoop and Triche(he came here as a PG) before that.
Flynn and Scoop before that.
GMac/Wright
GMac/Edelin

Scoop/MCW and Triche in 2012.
Scoop and Triche(he came here as a PG) before that.
Flynn and Scoop before that.
GMac/Wright
GMac/Edelin
Scoop/Triche/GMac aren't true PGs

Bland was a swing guy (with a mediocre handle) all the way. Same for Cipolla. Interesting that you bring this up, though - I got a chance to see the 1996 championship game in its entirety a couple weeks ago. This was the first time I saw that game since that Monday night and my memory had some serious gaps. Namely, almost 100% of the ball-handling help Sims got came from Burgan, who brought the ball up court for long stretches. Boeheim didn't want Cipolla to touch it. Not how I remembered it at all.

Anyway, a lot of our best teams have multiple ball-handlers. Kind of an obvious observation, but we don't do as well when we only have one guy trusted to bring it up (as this year). There's a reason Hart/Griffin/Williams, Sims/Burgan/Wallace, Triche/Rautins/Scoop, and McNamara/Duany/Anthony have had successful seasons.

I take something really positive away from this. Each of your trios contain someone who wasn't known as a good ball handler earlier in their SU careers, or weren't always entrusted by Boeheim to do so. Of course, we'd still need to see 2 players rise to that group next year, maybe, but history suggests at least 1 probably will.

Syracuse is definitely an elite program so I think we're ranked in the preseason based on that reputation alone. Just like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky are every year. People also know we have a lot of talented players (e.g., Roberson & BJ) who'll have more opportunity next year.

Reload.

Also, CJ really did hurt with all those turnovers. Whenever he got the ball, it felt like DaJuan getting it - the whole world would stop, it seemed, while we wait for them to finish their offensive attempt; the expectation that they might pass it out again somehow absent. And CJ (as incredible and smooth as he could sometimes be at it) nevertheless made his living attempting the lowest % shots in the game - creating individual mid-range moves each time, which, more often than not, lead to either a turnover or a missed shot.

Tyler and Trevor (to a lesser degree) slowed it up too much, which meant SU had to settle for a low % shot rather than an extremely high one. The original point of having guards swipe the ball was to make the higher % shot. SU used to be virtually routine with that major game-changing run (which, I admit, was often fueled by bringing in 2 starter - quality players off the bench).

I really wish Coach B would inject just a bit more Pitino into the game and use multiple guards for more pressure more often. Excepting Joseph's need to learn it, the others will already have learned the zone, so it's not like Boeheim would have to abandon his comfort zone much. And Ennis' initially awesome assist/TO ratio seemed wasted on the extreme slowdown. If Boeheim is a man of playing percentages, then the combination of his defensive zone with the Ennis pullbacks evened out the overall probabilities in every single game. He essentially jettisoned/negated every individual advantage SU had as a team, and that shocked me. We knew he was conservative and stubborn, but that was in the context of hanging on to a specialized strategy that paid off when mastered properly. It's especially strange for someone who waxes nostalgic for the 98-95 final score days.

Still, I'm optimistic for next season - with or without Grant. Some disagree, but I feel Grant would score more per game than CJ, because with a small improvement in moves to the hoop, we'll see many more slams again, basically And his short range jumpers - while not as pretty as CJ's, seem somehow more efficient, and taken on an already created opportunity, rather than one that needs to be made. I have no clue why the Ennis-to-Rak thing never happened, but Joseph could single-handedly cure that, if Boeheim lets it happen. Oh, and Roberson - expect a jump in his game. He's SU's #1 offensive-minded big. Take away Boeheim's insta-hook (trademark's MINE - hands off!), and watch what he can do in 25-30 minutes. Remember, he had a 50 point game in HS. The other Tyler did, too, but he needed way more shots.

By the way, wouldn't it be cool if Tyler Lydon also has a 50 pt. game?

SU can still move into elite status with another NC (I'm one of those who have them in that really nice second-tier category just below elite, but that's because you people keep rejecting my idea of counting SU's 2 NC's 'round the time of people named Woodrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom