Enjoy Tyler Lydon while we can | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Enjoy Tyler Lydon while we can

In the world where Golden State's best lineup features a 6'5 guy w/o shoes at center, the hawks are playing major minutes with 6'6 Paul Millsap at center, and the Cavs would like to play 6'8 Kevin Love at Center. Look, Lydon clearly would need to add some muscle, but given the fact that he has shown good instincts as a weak side rim protector and has athletic and skill potential as a roll man, NBA teams would LOVE to see him get minutes at the 5.

Golden State can't run that lineup vs any team with a valid center. Clippers w/ Jordan, vs Cousins, vs Howard...

It's why they have been giving Ezeli so much run. They need a stopper in there if Bogut is not healthy

Cavs are playing Tristan Thompson at C with Mosgov out. If they wanted to play Love at C, now would be the time.

To reiterate my point, the Bucks are seriously trying to make it work with the Greek Freak playing center this year. If there's an NBA guys skinnier than Lydon, its him.

Giannis is almost 7 feet.

To reiterate my point, the Bucks are seriously trying to make it work with the Greek Freak playing center this year. If there's an NBA guys skinnier than Lydon, its him.

Giannis has 2 or 3 inches on Lydon and I'd imagine his wingspan is probably at least 4 or 5 inches longer as well. Not to mention Giannis has 20-30 lbs on Lydon at this point in time. The kid is an absolute freak; Lydon isn't comparable at all.

Golden State can't run that lineup vs any team with a valid center. Clippers w/ Jordan, vs Cousins, vs Howard...

It's why they have been giving Ezeli so much run. They need a stopper in there if Bogut is not healthy

Cavs are playing Tristan Thompson at C with Mosgov out. If they wanted to play Love at C, now would be the time.

They closed against the Clippers with Draymond at center against Jordan, and Barnes on Griffin just a week ago and went on a 25-8 run.

It's early, but I don't know of many true freshman who average nearly a double double and stick around for a while. Getting one of Mali or Tyler to come back for a sophomore season will be a small victory if they continue to play as they are. Regardless of what position they play.

It's actually the opposite. The clippers can't play Jordan when Draymond is at the 5--when they do play two traditional bigs against Draymond and Barnes, they get shot and run off the court. The Warriors consistently close with that small lineup. In terms of the Cavs, now is actually NOT the time (even though they do play minutes with Love at center). It's tough physically to consistently play smallball because that means that LeBron has to play PF, which wears over the course of an 82 game season when you are as old and have played as many minutes as LeBron has. The playoffs are where they will bring that lineup out more. In terms of Giannis, you are right, he's got a few inches on Lydon, but he came into the league as a 2 or 3 and last year played some point. I was just showing that the league is downsizing as teams realize that the deletion of the illegal defense rules makes it more beneficial to play 4-5 shooters and playmakers than it is to play 2 traditional bigs.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I'm NOT saying that Lydon is an NBA 5. I'm saying that scouts likely see him as an NBA 4 who will get important minutes at the 5. Just like Millsap, Love, Draymond, Aldridge, Blake etc.

Last edited:
NBA teams usually downsize to adjust rather than go big to force an advantage.

Even against us in CBB, I'd love to see a team with slow, plodding bigs try to defend us. We would just put them in a track meet.

Serious question. Who was the last white, non 7 footer to go one and done?
Mitch mcgary was 2 years at mich but only played 8 games his soph year. Probably should have come out after 1!

Let's hope that Jay Bilas and other commentators don't go overboard on Tyler; to the point that he decides to go NBA at the end of this season. If everyone who is supposed to returns for next year the team will be sick!!!

It will almost be sick...
Imagine this: C Chukwu, DC2, CO
PF Lydon, Moyer, Thompson
SF Mal, Battle (?)
SG Battle
PG ???? (really!!)

Who am I missing... anyway it seems our guard play may be a tad weak

SF Mal, Battle (?)
SG Battle
PG ???? (really!!)

PG: Battle, Howard, Joseph
SG:Mal, Battle
Honestly all of our guards next year are pretty much combo guards

SF Mal, Battle (?)
SG Battle
PG ???? (really!!)

PG- Battle
SG- Mali
SF- Tyler
PF- Tyler
C - DC/Paschul

Oops...forgot Howard and he will only improve. He has shown a lot ... passing, etc. His problem this year ... playing behind G and JB giving Joseph more and more rope ... I think Howard will do the jump over Joseph next year ... at this point in time.

SF Mal, Battle (?)
SG Battle
PG ???? (really!!)

I love how next year's squad shapes up. Depth will be much improved [especially if we land Thompson, and Lydon / Richardson return].

But I DO think however that we will miss the 5th year experience and outside shooting ability of Gbinije and Cooney more than most probably think. Those guys will be difficult to replace. It is rare and extremely beneficial to have a backcourt with two 5th year seniors -- those guys are the backbone of this year's team.

SkanSU said:
It will almost be sick... Imagine this: C Chukwu, DC2, CO PF Lydon, Moyer, Thompson SF Mal, Battle (?) SG Battle PG ???? (really!!) Who am I missing... anyway it seems our guard play may be a tad weak

Moyer isn't coming here to come off the bench. Something will have to give.

I love how next year's squad shapes up. Depth will be much improved [especially if we land Thompson, and Lydon / Richardson return].

But I DO think however that we will miss the 5th year experience and outside shooting ability of Gbinije and Cooney more than most probably think. Those guys will be difficult to replace. It is rare and extremely beneficial to have a backcourt with two 5th year seniors -- those guys are the backbone of this year's team.

Absolutely... I agree. We will miss the3s from G and the defense from both. I hate to think that we will be going backward on our outside shooting. Here's hoping that Howard and Battle have good shooting skills

Given how this team has shaped up this year, I could easily see our most effective lineup being howard/Joseph, battle, mal, Lydon, chuckwu. With another lineup in which Roberson replaces chuckwu and slides to the 4 also being effective. Neither will be our starting lineup, but I could see both being extremely effective.

During the UConn-Zags game Bilas just said Lydon might be the best pro prospect in Atlantis. He gone

Oops...forgot Howard and he will only improve. He has shown a lot ... passing, etc. His problem this year ... playing behind G and JB giving Joseph more and more rope ... I think Howard will do the jump over Joseph next year ... at this point in time.
IMO, Joseph will not be here next year.

No freaking way cab Lyndon guard the 5 in the NBA. He'd be a 4 who can guard the 3.

Is actually say he would need to be a three / stretch four.

The secret is out with this kid, his potential is through the roof. He can shoot, pass, defend and is freakishly athletic. NBA scouts will be all over him very soon.
I can only hope that Tyler wants an education as much as playing for the pros He can get an insurance policy for any major injury that could make his career going forward,unlikely.

The kid can play. He needs to bulk up and get stronger before jumping to the association. He will be at least one more year. Drooling thinking about next year

I hope we have hi for at least three years. He will be even better in his natural position, and alongside Chukwu Next year.

The kid looks like he just woke up.
The kid looks like he follows the Kenny Powers perspective on weight lifting: "I'm not lifting that $***. It's heavy."
The kid has both moxy and onions.

Imagine him stronger, and with more of a veteran leadership role. The kind of kid the media likes to anoint as Player of the Year. A non-douchey Christian Laetner.
exactly and I just wrote the same elsewhere, that as you note he's like Laetner without the snark and douchebaggery. Amazing that the real debate is if he'll be leaving after one year or two.

I'd think two years today but after a season of likely success and a lot of good PR and $ fantasies potentially swelling his head a bit (though I think better than most he'll be deaf to some of this), but regardless some will get through and then I'd probably reassess to say he's gone in one year.

The fact that we're even having this conversation makes me think about just how much I've grown to dislike the state of basketball today that we can't enjoy this kid for 3 or even 4 years. No continuity anymore with complete or near complete overhaul every year or it seems. Still love my Orange but something that I can't define has been lost.

I can only hope that Tyler wants an education as much as playing for the pros He can get an insurance policy for any major injury that could make his career going forward,unlikely.

Not only Lydon but any guy who can get into the league and get w contract can easily save 3 years tuition on his first years salary and go back when their career is over with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom