Ennis has been incredible. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis has been incredible.

I think he's top 5 NOW. Furthermore we have never had a pg play under greater control. I'm surprised when he makes a bad play. The game seems so simple to him.

Agreed! When he makes a turnover or a bad play its shocking. I already expect him to cruise along seems like he's in total control.

He is as ideal a PG for JB here at SU as we will ever find.

However, just keeping it real. IMO, at this stage, he is not quick enough, and may not shoot well enough, to be a star in the NBA. Maybe after his sophomore year.

Agreed. He won't go as a freshman, and maybe not as a sophomore either. Whatever happens, let's enjoy our time together because he's a special kid! If he keeps this up, he may just be mentioned in the same breath as Sherman...that's saying quite a bit too.

So much to say and reply to in this one thread! First...my how a couple weeks or few games can change things! Both in perception and reality. I remember the reactions being a bit different for awhile, but I guess that's a good sign when you consider it. Like with Trevor, if this can stay consistent then I am far more excited about the season in general than I was after the first few games!

I'm with Beadle on the slow down. While it can be a great tool in appropriate situations, I'm really missing the fast breaks from recent times, back to the days of Sherman. It's going to take someone extremely special to approach Sherman without the fast break as a tool.

As for the NBA thing between RF and Harrison(who has one of my favorite sig lines on here), it seemed like Harrison was originally just replying to someone else who said that Tyler would be as good as MCW in the NBA NEXT YEAR, and was pointing out reasons why he thought it wouldnt be the case. The discussion then got swayed into 'Cuse's production of NBA players, which wasn't the original point the guy was making(that Tyler as of now doesn't look like he'll be ready for the NBA after this season). Being we're giving the kid the key to the city already in this thread, for all I know he could have a much better NBA career than MCW, but it doesn't seem likely for that to be the case next year. And the line about Paul Harris was classic and made me lol. If I could nominate a line of the week/month, that might be it. I'm not necessarily taking a side in that argument though, just appreciating good humor when I see it. As for things (not)being equal, some college kids enjoy warmer weather too. JB is a special coach, and after the game admitted to the beloved Andy Katz that his 2 guards were playing "better than I could have hoped for if I was wishing and hoping, I didn't think they could play this good". That's the answer of an honest man, who admits even he isn't omniscient. No shame in being like JB folks!

Like Fairfax said, the kid is special, let's enjoy whatever time we have with him. With all of them. For that matter, with everyone in our lives.

I just want to thank both Harrison and RF for having a respectful discourse on an interesting topic. Both of you make good points, and never got snarky with one another. I'm glad that can still happen on this board, because often it doesn't. Thanks!

Gotta be honest, I tempered my expectations w/ Ennis before the season. I've just seen too many frosh PG struggle. Boy I am glad to be wrong on this one. The kid is a STUD. By next year, he's a top 5 college PG.
And this year he is????

I just want to thank both Harrison and RF for having a respectful discourse on an interesting topic. Both of you make good points, and never got snarky with one another. I'm glad that can still happen on this board, because often it doesn't. Thanks!

It was an interesting discussion.

And my original reaction wasn't directed at Harrison, who I enjoy as a poster. It was more about the premise about the NBA and how it influences our recruiting--a perspective that I view as being unsubstantiated, but one that gets thrown around here a lot.

Not since Josh Pace's lefty shot put or maybe the patented Ricky Jackson fundamentally sound up and under has a Syracuse player trademark move made me so excited. I'm talking of course about the TYLER ENNIS CLASSY LAY-UP. It's just too classy. Looks like they took a picture of his layup and put it in a text book about basketball.

OK, this isn't the time or the place for negativity, but bear with me. (Ennis is playing about as well as anyone could have dreamed; he's been a truly excellent point guard for eight games, and we're all thrilled he's here.)

His layup technique is probably the worst part of his game -- at both ends of the court -- at this stage. He's missed over a third of them; the release is lackadaisical.

Don't mean to come off as a jerk, but thought it was odd that you highlighted the thing that Ennis needs to improve upon most as the games get tougher. Not a strong finisher -- and far from textbook form -- right now.

Agreed. He won't go as a freshman, and maybe not as a sophomore either. Whatever happens, let's enjoy our time together because he's a special kid! If he keeps this up, he may just be mentioned in the same breath as Sherman...that's saying quite a bit too.

He will go when the time is right. Beoheim is very open with his players about their resepctive draft stocks. If he thinks they are good enough, he gets them in touch with the NBA Draft advisory boards. He certainly doesn't hold anyone back if they are good enough to get paid at the next level.

Now with all of that being said, I hope Ennis has a great 4 year run at SU. ;)

He will go when the time is right. Beoheim is very open with his players about their resepctive draft stocks. If he thinks they are good enough, he gets them in touch with the NBA Draft advisory boards. He certainly doesn't hold anyone back if they are good enough to get paid at the next level.

Now with all of that being said, I hope Ennis has a great 4 year run at SU. ;)

Minority opinion here: I think it'll shake out that way. Ennis has a four-year career with at least a Final Four and a bunch of All-ACC awards and ends up with the second-best numbers of any Syracuse point guard.

I was simply responding to anglerman's post #7. However, IMO, it is important to be able to put players in the NBA from our program, in order to attract future recruits. So it's important to do so at the right time with each player to maximize their NBA potential.

He shoots it very well and is also super quick. You guys are delusional if you think the NBA isn't salivating over him right now.

OK, this isn't the time or the place for negativity, but bear with me. (Ennis is playing about as well as anyone could have dreamed; he's been a truly excellent point guard for eight games, and we're all thrilled he's here.)

His layup technique is probably the worst part of his game -- at both ends of the court -- at this stage. He's missed over a third of them; the release is lackadaisical.

Don't mean to come off as a jerk, but thought it was odd that you highlighted the thing that Ennis needs to improve upon most as the games get tougher. Not a strong finisher -- and far from textbook form -- right now.

Just wow! You're not dealing with reality my friend.

Just wow! You're not dealing with reality my friend.

Do you watch the games?

This is a serious question. What do you like about Ennis as a finisher? Please offer specifics.

From Chad Ford's Top 100:

Overall Rank: 71
Position Rank: 14

Nov. 6 Update: He's got major shoes to fill, but scouts who have watched Syracuse's practices and scrimmages claim Ennis could be a surprise star this season. He sees the floor as well as any point guard in the country and is extremely steady for someone his age. He's not an elite athlete, unfortunately, but he has all of the other intangibles that scouts are looking for in their point guards, and he should have the ball in his hands right out of the gate for Syracuse.

I'd like to see what his updated status is after leading his team to 8-0 since then.

Do you watch the games?

This is a serious question. What do you like about Ennis as a finisher? Please offer specifics.
I think he's a great finisher! Much better than MCW who's now pretty much an NBA star.

Keep it going "Ennis the Menace".

Tyler+Ennis+Colgate+v+Syracuse+KG6LQcbiRnel.jpg

the lefty scoop and 1 was just filthy. As Dakich put it - "he put his chin to the rim and would not be knocked off balance." what a power move that was.

I don't know. MCW missed some bunnies but IMO is a better finisher than Ennis due to his sheer length and athleticism. Not saying Tyler is a bad finisher at all. That being said, I am never nervous about the ball in Ennis' hands. It's remarkable. A freshman PG here is the most steady and sound that I have ever seen here. I was too young to truly and vividly remember Pearl and Sherm since I'm in my early 30s. But, even compared to LSims or Scoop he seems way more comfortable. Sims had that high dribble and he and Scoop would get stripped or struggle vs good M2M D. He's awesome.

Agreed! When he makes a turnover or a bad play its shocking. I already expect him to cruise along seems like he's in total control.

Tyler 'Cruise Control' Ennis

MCW vs. Ennis:

Where MCW was long and disrupted passing lanes, Ennis is anticipatory and disrupts passing lanes.

Where MCW drove to the basket and improvised, Ennis appears to start his drive with Plan B already in mind.

Where MCW took a jumper when he felt he needed to, Ennis takes a shot when the defense shuts other options down.

Where MCW looked driven to make something happen, Ennis patiently waits for an opportunity to make something happen.

MCW and Triche were an aggressive defensive team with hit-or-miss offensive capabilities; Ennis and Cooney look like a backcourt duo that's been playing together for several years -- and it's only eight games into the season.

I should add one P.S.: Where MCW was exciting; Ennis is reassuring.

What's not to like?-VBOF

Last edited:
He is just about ideal. He won't do what mcw does now but he might be better for us
I've been saying this to my friends since I saw the games in Canada and they thought/think I am crazy. Not necessarily a better player than MCW but will be a better PG for this team than Carter-Williams was for SU last year.

I've been saying this to my friends since I saw the games in Canada and they thought/think I am crazy. Not necessarily a better player than MCW but will be a better PG for this team than Carter-Williams was for SU last year.
I agree. I do like that we dont have to watch our PG penetrate the lane, jump, then turn the ball over like last year. Honestly, I think the largest benefit of TE over MCW is his ability to take care of the ball. This was an MCW weakness but obviously his overall game overshadowed that. This era reminds me of when Pearl left early and we replaced him with Sherm.

Not interested to get on this debate because I simply disagree and it's not worth either of our time. I didn't take your post as being a jerk though. I'm fine if that's your opinion. It's not mine.

This.
He has one of the most subtle games I've ever seen.
He reminds me of a freshman Mike Bibby at UA, the final piece to Lute Olsen finally winning his NC.
I'm doing more DVR rewinds of his plays because they're so subdued, you have to see them twice to understand how good they are.
The more you watch him, the more you appreciate his talent.

This.
He has one of the most subtle games I've ever seen.
He reminds me of a freshman Mike Bibby at UA, the final piece to Lute Olsen finally winning his NC.
I'm doing more DVR rewinds of his plays because they're so subdued, you have to see them twice to understand how good they are.
The more you watch him, the more you appreciate his talent.

I agree with this--I remember last night where he had a late in the shot clock 2nd half penetration for a sick bounce pass inside to Baye, which ended up in a turnover. I actually rewound the DVR to watch the play a couple of times despite the game being on, because the play was so incredible, it just didn't connect.

I think he's a great finisher! Much better than MCW who's now pretty much an NBA star.

I think he is a better finisher than Mike, too (and a year behind him, no less). And Mike must have put in 40-hour weeks all summer long - I'm very impressed by his improvement since March.

Ennis does a lot of things very well, especially for a freshman (and a small freshman without great hops, at that). But I've also noticed that his release on his layups is inconsistent. This results in the ball making contact with different parts of the glass on different attempts, and it seems that this has resulted in a lot of missed layups (one more last night, in the first half; a significant number of them over the first eight games).

This isn't intended as a gratuitous criticism, just a response to an opinion about his form that didn't jibe with what I've witnessed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom