Ennis headed back to the D-League. 2 questions ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ennis headed back to the D-League. 2 questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently his team does though. You know there might just be a reason he only has 51 not-so-grand minutes.

Lol. Definitely. The guys ahead of him all suck and he still can't get minutes. He can't even play over:

The guy averaging 32min, 16ppg, 6apg, 5rpg, 1.5spg, and 1 3pg
The guy averaging 32min, 16ppg, 4apg, 1spg and over 1 3pg
The guy averaging 25min, 15ppg, 4apg, and 1.5 3pg

Some people here have zero clue.

Regardless of how his future turns out, it doesn't take a genius to see all the experience he is gaining this season is much more valuable than whatever he would have gained starting for SU.

A Hall of Famer might disagree.

Lol. Definitely. The guys ahead of him all suck and he still can't get minutes. He can't even play over:

The guy averaging 32min, 16ppg, 6apg, 5rpg, 1.5spg, and 1 3pg
The guy averaging 32min, 16ppg, 4apg, 1spg and over 1 3pg
The guy averaging 25min, 15ppg, 4apg, and 1.5 3pg

Some people here have zero clue.[/QUOTE
Did I say the guys in front of him sucked? Sorry, I meant to say he couldn't play with them and his NBA coaches were sending him to the "D" league. "Some people here" miss that in their clue laden data base.

Water under the bridge at this point, but there's no doubt he could have used another year to develop at SU.

I don't think it would have helped his stock much, and if his flaws were exposed as they began to be toward the end of last season, he probably would have slipped further than he did.

All that being said, I wish him well.

What would he have developed staying here that he wouldn't in the NBA?

SarasotaPaul, I'm glad I'm not the only one in this thread with esoteric posts that are open to interpretation(actually OttoInGrotto may have had one as well, but I am not sure). I really wish this thread had happened at a busier time so that it could have unfolded in a more meaningful and natural way with more participants weighing in. Sometimes I'm impatient and try to force it, as if I were on the opposite extreme of Tyler.

What would he have developed staying here that he wouldn't in the NBA?

For one he wouldn't be on a shuttle between two teams. For a second he would actually play in games that matter, and not the D league experiment. He wasn't going to regress, kid would've added strength, maybe grow a bit, etc.

Will you get better at something if you do it for 20 hrs a week or 40-50 hrs? I know it's more common to say that hoops players aren't always students first, but to stay eligible they do need to go to class and do work, which cuts into time devoted to becoming a basketball player.

Maybe some people missed the Grant story where he talks about the extra free time he has in the NBA and how he uses that time in the gym, and how he is able to have a healthier diet. He didn't mention if he had a personal nutritionist, but that is what a lot of players have and certainly beats eating at Goldstein.

A guy like Ennis is probably working a lot with the Suns staff during practices to get familiar with their system, which is better for his long-term future than playing another year of 2-3 zone. Again, the NBA has changed a lot in the last 5 years and playing in the D League is like a baseball player spending some time in AAA.

For one he wouldn't be on a shuttle between two teams. For a second he would actually play in games that matter, and not the D league experiment. He wasn't going to regress, kid would've added strength, maybe grow a bit, etc.

The competition in the D League is way better than D1

Will you get better at something if you do it for 20 hrs a week or 40-50 hrs? I know it's more common to say that hoops players aren't always students first, but to stay eligible they do need to go to class and do work, which cuts into time devoted to becoming a basketball player.

Maybe some people missed the Grant story where he talks about the extra free time he has in the NBA and how he uses that time in the gym, and how he is able to have a healthier diet. He didn't mention if he had a personal nutritionist, but that is what a lot of players have and certainly beats eating at Goldstein.

A guy like Ennis is probably working a lot with the Suns staff during practices to get familiar with their system, which is better for his long-term future than playing another year of 2-3 zone. Again, the NBA has changed a lot in the last 5 years and playing in the D League is like a baseball player spending some time in AAA.
Plus, who is he going to get better practicing against? Joseph and White, or Bledsoe, Dragic and Thomas?

The competition in the D League is way better than D1

I would argue that while the players are better in the D League, coaching and strategy aren't even close to college.

Have you ever watched a full NBA D League game? Didn't think so.

With the season nearing an end, here is the D-League attendance figures thus far.

Team Average
Texas Legends 5,737
Iowa Energy 4,807
Rio Grande 4,681
Erie BayHawks 3,370
Sioux Falls Skyforce 3,036
Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2,910
Idaho Stampede 2,852
Canton Charge 2,609
Maine Red Claws 2,493
Santa Cruz Warriors 2,441
Tulsa 66ers 2,384
Austin Toros 2,339
Springfield Armor 2,288
Reno Bighorns 2,140
Delaware 87ers 1,465
Bakersfield Jam 550
Los Angeles D-Fenders 389

showcasing his skills in da big leagues!
and figure that at least half those tickets are freebies.

(these are last season #'s. avg season ticket costs only $206)

Last edited:
I would argue that while the players are better in the D League, coaching and strategy aren't even close to college.

I tried but it is worse than an AAU game. No "team" will ever be seen there. It is 10 guys going all out for themselves only. Pickup games often/usually have more teamwork and structure.

He also might have more clearly exposed his weaknesses or been injured and seen his draft position drop as a result. And it wouldn't have been the first time a kid returned and fell out of favor. While I would have loved to have seen him on this year's team, I can't fault him for cashing in.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske..._tyler_ennis_headed_back_to_nba_d-league.html

1. Why not trade him ?
2. Why draft him in the first place ?

Behind. Eric Bledsoe, and Isaiah Thomas both PG'S. Goran Drajic who can and has played some PG.

Please trade him. Give him a chance to play somewhere. You telling me he is not good enough to play minutes in the NBA on another team ?

How would you know ? When you look who is he stuck playing behind.

There was a time that they didnt think they were going to sign Bledsoe.

Has anyone? Watching the nba is hard enough at times.

The same can be said about college, though.

In my personal opinion, the best NBA game is better than the best college game, and the worst NBA game is better than the worst college game.

That said, of course I still watch the Orange over NBA games, assuming they are on simultaneously.

Wait, did you really just ask a question, and not wait for a response because you're that certain you're right?
Has anyone? Watching the nba is hard enough at times.
It's not.

It's all part of the risk that comes with declaring at 19 if you're not a bona fide tier 1 NBA talent. Surely no one thought he was another Kyrie Irving or John Wall. The NBA is a business first, and although he's "one of ours," he's entitled to no special status because of that (I know you all know that). Today he's just another asset, no more no less, and at the end of the day that's just part of the territory he chose. Certainly we all wish him the best but I suspect, undersized as he is, he'll need some luck to ever become more than a back-up at that level. Is any of us prepared for the irony that would ensue should his little brother stay 4 years at Villanova and go on to a 'better' NBA career?

Last edited:
Regardless of how his future turns out, it doesn't take a genius to see all the experience he is gaining this season is much more valuable than whatever he would have gained starting for SU.

That's possible, however if learning/developing is the issue for him, he'd certainly face a great deal of skill and character building adversity if he was still wearing orange. Nevertheless, I grew weary of his game, watching him endlessly massage the ball around the perimeter, in an offense that struggled to score 60 points.

Just what I know and you obviously don't.
He was NEVER going to get drafted higher than he did. He was NEVER going to learn more at SU. What he needs can't be taught: more height and quickness. Staying longer would have just taken the shine off, and put him into the 2nd Rd or free agency when he left.
From a basketball/money perspective, his decision was as right as Grant's was wrong.

Phoenix runs a guard heavy system. They made the pick thinking he had value in trades, and he was insurance for their guard depth in the future.
Yep -- there was no downside taking him at that position (18). Either he fits into their system, or they build his body and he brings trade value for someone else they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.